Author Topic: the standard paint schemes  (Read 1490 times)

masterKamera

the standard paint schemes
« on: May 08, 2022, 11:28:54 AM »
It can be delightful to argue on what each particular pilot used for paint, but the question i haves..

1. what were the actual standard, factory paint colors for each type of plane? Example being we "know" the nieuport 17's left french factories in either a light blueish or an all white or all silver generic paint job. And that the british had to apply their own markings to them.

2. How stringent are the thoughts, rules, regulations to applying a camo pattern to  a model?  Not going for contest entires, and i dont have a deranged second lieutenant threatening me with a bullet to the head if i dont get the "exact" regulation diameter on the curved edges on the cammo pattern

Offline macsporran

Re: the standard paint schemes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »
They varied all the time according to directives, paint availability etc. As always the answer to these questions is to look for info on a particular aircraft and make your own decisions accordingly.
Sandy

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 06:41:27 AM »
Like Sandy said, you really need to look at (and ask about) specific aircraft types. Sometimes you can get lucky and find period reference material for a colour scheme, like this for the SPAD XIII:
IMG_3995 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 01:00:31 PM »
But even “standard” paint schemes (at least for the Spad XIII) varied slightly depending on contractor (Bernard/Bleriot/Kellner/Levasseur/Marcay/SPAD). The one illustrated by Zac appears to me to be Bernard-built.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 02:53:49 PM by Rob_Owens »

masterKamera

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 02:12:03 PM »
So in other terms, as long as i dont use hello kitty pink in my models, no one will give a rats warm fuzzy  #$%  as long as I use the GENERALIZED color tones?

masterKamera

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 05:48:49 PM »
finally started buying paint god its expensive,

but color substitution rocks with this much disparity in color data