Author Topic: Tamiya acrylic equivalents for SPAD XIII camouflage  (Read 2511 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Tamiya acrylic equivalents for SPAD XIII camouflage
« on: January 02, 2022, 08:01:39 AM »
Hi all,
Monty posted this in the build thread for his Francesco Baracca build:
I came across this table and I post it just for fun, I'm very far from choosing colours myself. There are some eminent researchers here, but I think it's almost "pick a colour, any colour"...

I'm thinking the top version fits my aesthetic best, but I have to ask: can anyone assist me in matching the SPAD scheme to Tamiya acrylics? I use the bottles rather than spray and am not afraid to mix, so I'd be grateful for any assistance and advice!

Offline RAGIII

Re: Tamiya acrylic equivalents for SPAD XIII camouflage
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 08:17:22 AM »
Look at the WNW website. The Salmson 2a2 USAS has Tamiya mixes listed. They work very well to get you in the ballpark!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 08:28:12 AM »
Look at the WNW website. The Salmson 2a2 USAS has Tamiya mixes listed. They work very well to get you in the ballpark!
RAGIII
How did I not think of that? Thanks Rick!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 08:33:07 AM »
RAGIII
How did I not think of that? Thanks Rick!

Sometimes we all tend to overlook the easiest solution  8) They even give formulas for the Aluminum dope fabric vs the formula for the non fabric surfaces. I really liked the outcome on My Salmson!
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 08:36:06 AM »
I really liked the outcome on My Salmson!
That's good enough for me! Thanks again Rick, you're a life-(and time)saver!

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 10:13:49 AM »
What Rick said, but also, take a look here (use Google to translate it if you like):

https://1914.forumactif.com/t231-camouflage-5-tons-francais-1918

I gave Xan the Project Butterfly information and he worked from that.

Just throwing gas on the fire.  ;)

WD

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 10:20:38 AM »
Thanks WD, the colour scheme drawing in the first post is particularly interesting!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 12:43:01 AM »
Thanks WD, the colour scheme drawing in the first post is particularly interesting!

The drawing of the SPAD scheme is what Kelner used as their standard. Other builders had slight variations as we know. I had forgotten about Xans work on this  ::)
RAGIII

PS: If I recall correctly you are doing a British SPAD so the Kelner pattern is correct for your build!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:07:14 AM by RAGIII »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 06:28:49 AM »
PS: If I recall correctly you are doing a British SPAD so the Kelner pattern is correct for your build!
Huzzah! That's saved potential embarrassment later on!  ;D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 09:22:54 AM »
Huzzah! That's saved potential embarrassment later on!  ;D

Just to be clear the scheme on the Roden instructions is just a small variation of the standard and looking at photos seems to be correct as far as the pattern is concerned.
RAGIII

Offline macsporran

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 06:16:32 PM »
Great references and research from all concerned and a typical friendly exchange of helpful info on this forum.

I always chuckle though when I see flame wars on other fora regarding wwi colours. I think if you calibrated the shade of a SPAD's apparent colours inside a hangar in natural light, then in artificial light, then outside on the grass at dawn, midday and evening, then yet again at 10,000 feet in bright sunshine and in cloudshade - why you'd end up with a whole catalogue of colour variations and that's before we consider the mixing of different batches of paint from different sources! So, my advice fwiw is not to get too hung up on exactitude: if it looks right to you, it's fine.
Sandy

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 12:35:56 AM »
Exactly Sandy!  OTOH, like you said, it's nice to see a friendly exchange, and the sharing of different pieces of research in the pursuit of "getting it right", or at least close. One reason I decided I wanted to hang with the WWI crowd years ago was to avoid the negative, toxic, Farb Polezei that haunt other forums/areas and suck the fun and enjoyment of a hobby away from folks.

And to put it in perspective, I'm reminded of a scene from Monty Python:

"Camelot!
Camelot!
Camelot"
It's only a model."

:D

WD
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:35:04 AM by WD »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 01:39:02 AM »
Great references and research from all concerned and a typical friendly exchange of helpful info on this forum.

I always chuckle though when I see flame wars on other fora regarding wwi colours. I think if you calibrated the shade of a SPAD's apparent colours inside a hangar in natural light, then in artificial light, then outside on the grass at dawn, midday and evening, then yet again at 10,000 feet in bright sunshine and in cloudshade - why you'd end up with a whole catalogue of colour variations and that's before we consider the mixing of different batches of paint from different sources! So, my advice fwiw is not to get too hung up on exactitude: if it looks right to you, it's fine.
Sandy

Spot on Sandy! It is a good thing because although I used the "same" basic formula on My SPADs as I did on the Salmson, My lack of scientific mixing caused a distinct difference in shades  8)
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 06:46:58 AM »
Hear hear! I know of other places where I would have been (rightly or wrongly) shot down immediately for not using the search function rather than asking politely.

I always chuckle though when I see flame wars on other fora regarding wwi colours. So, my advice fwiw is not to get too hung up on exactitude: if it looks right to you, it's fine.
That's generally how I work - but whenever I'm unfamiliar with the subject matter (as in this case) I like to see what the pros say and go from there  :)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 05:23:06 AM »
What Rick said, but also, take a look here (use Google to translate it if you like):

https://1914.forumactif.com/t231-camouflage-5-tons-francais-1918

I gave Xan the Project Butterfly information and he worked from that.
Here's what I've gathered in case anyone else was needing help (in addition to the PDF of the Wingnut Wings Salmson instructions):
IMG_3995 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
IMG_3997 by Zac Yates, on Flickr