Author Topic: 1:32nd scale RAF BE2c  (Read 11585 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale RAF BE2c
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2022, 11:18:43 PM »
Ammo Drums and scratched bin look awesome Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2022, 06:07:40 AM »
Hi all,
The engine is now fitted, including the upper auxiliary fuel tank and it's tube connecting it to the main fuel tank under the observers seat.

The kit supplied top cowl is supplied as either resin or photo-etch, but neither seem curved enough at the top when fitted.
Also the RAF 1a engine had baffle plates fitted between the engine cylinders and these are not provided for in the kit.
Therefore it looks like I'll need to make the cowl and baffles instead,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2022, 06:18:23 AM »
Hi all,
A few more observations of areas of the model not included.

Later versions of the BE2c had an access panel on the right side of the fuselage and rear of the pilot’s cockpit. This panel is not included on the kit fuselage and will need to be created.

Later versions of the BE2c had either one or two circular access panels on the left side of the nose, on the triangular panel. This panel is not included on the kit.

Also most BE2c aircraft had a twin pitot tube fitted to an outboard interplane strut. Also not included in the kit.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2022, 07:34:25 AM »
Interesting observations, Mike. Looks like you have your work cut out for you - especially with those engine baffles. Great progress so far, by the way.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2022, 10:46:52 PM »
Hi all,
The weapons are now finished, although the observers Lewis will be finally positioned on its swivel mounting once the rigging etc is completed.

The Lewis machine gun for the observer was mounted on a tubular swivel arm located centrally between the observer and pilots cockpits.
The Lewis machine gun for the pilot was mounted to the side of the cockpit and angled to fire obliquely outboard.

Both weapons and the spare ammunition drums are the ‘GasPatch’ Lewis Mk.1 stripped half heat sinks (32-32052).
The observers weapon has a 0.3 mm diameter rod fitted to allow it to swivel on the gun mounting.
Similarly the pilots weapon has a rod fitted to locate it into a hole drilled into the side of the fuselage.
I chose not to use the kit supplied photo-etch mounting for the pilots weapon as is was way to flimsy.
Both weapons were primed with 'Tamiya' Gloss Black (X1) then airbrushed with 'Alclad' Gun Metal (ALC120).
Then ‘Mr. Colour’ Super Metallic - Super Iron (203) was dry brushed over the weapons.
Finally 'Tamiya' Hull Red (XF9) was applied to the handles and 'AK Interactive' Brown Leather (AK3031) to the drum straps.
A light wash os 'AK Interactive' Kerosene (AK2039) was applied over the ammunition drums.

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2022, 04:21:11 AM »
Stunning work Mike!
RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2022, 10:11:56 PM »
Nice work!! The late model differences do not apply to your ship-correct? Not very familiar with the type so hoping these aren't changes you have to make at this stage.

Steve

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2022, 11:16:56 PM »
Nice work!! The late model differences do not apply to your ship-correct? Not very familiar with the type so hoping these aren't changes you have to make at this stage.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I've researched as much as I'm able and it does seem these changes do apply to most of the later BE2c versions.
The kit seems to have been modeled on the later version of the BE2c although even then, there were differences.
The kit appears to be of an earlier 'late' version BE2c as, for example, the observers cockpit is smaller and further rearwards in the fuselage and with a smaller windscreen.
Also the fin upper edge is straight.
The later 'late' version BE2c had a larger observers cockpit, which was moved forward in the fuselage and also had a larger windscreen.
Some had a larger fin with a curved upper edge and Lewis machine guns filled for both the observer and pilot.
Also bomb racks and camera's could be fitted for offensive or reconnaissance missions.
The lower wings were no longer fitted directly to the fuselage and instead had a gap between the two, exposing the front and rear wing spars and their fittings.

Right or wrong I'm adding the changes to the basic model kit.
I did message 'Lukgraph' with some of my observations I thought were important.
They replied thanks, but it was too late to change any that might apply to the BE2e/f kit to be released soon.
For example, the recently released renders of that aircraft indicate the similar anomalies on the fuselage.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 01:31:06 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2022, 11:34:59 PM »
Well you've certainly done your part to make the modelling community aware of the necessary corrections. Thanks again!

Steve

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2022, 03:52:08 AM »
Hi all,
On most BE2c aircraft, linen was wrapped around the four fuselage cabane struts and the landing gear struts.
This was done to protect the struts and to help prevent the wood from splitting.
To represent the linen wrapping I used cut thin strips of plumbers Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) tape.
This tape is by nature very thin and will self-grip to tools and your fingers, so patience and repeated cutting will be necessary.
The tape was secured in position using thin CA adhesive.
Then airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311), treated with 'Flory Models' Grime wash and finally clear coated again.

Mike

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2022, 05:36:09 AM »
Outstanding...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Grant

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2022, 12:05:24 AM »
What a great idea!
All be starting this kit soon so your build notes and research are much appreciated Mike.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2022, 11:42:57 PM »
Great idea for wrapping the struts...and great results!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2022, 04:59:55 AM »
Hi all,
Well, the most difficult part of this model build, the top engine cowl, is done.
Without going into detail (as it's covered in my build log), I had to effectively scratch the cowl.
The kit supplied photo-etch or resin cowls were discarded.
I used the centre section of the photo-etch panel, annealed and bent into shape.
The retaining straps from the cowl onto the cylinder head bolts, the cylinder baffles and the fire wall were made from 0.2 mm thick plastic card.
The centre support strut under the cowl and into the engine block is painted 0.4 mm diameter tube.

Now it's onto pre-rigging,

Mike

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
Looking darned good, Mike!
Zac in NZ