Author Topic: Another 1/72 Revell Albatros  (Read 885 times)

Offline Rick_H

Another 1/72 Revell Albatros
« on: March 22, 2022, 06:26:39 PM »
I have just returned to the WWI modeling focus for the second time in 40 years.  (The first time back, I was only building British, French & Italian a/c with simple markings.  And the decals were 20 years newer.)  This time I am starting with German a/c, and I'm looking at the stack of decals that I squirreled away in the previous century.  I just wanted to share some magnificent news.  I decided to use a Jasta 10 scheme from the really old Modelpoint sheet.  And the great news is that the decal was still good.  It didn't shatter, it wasn't too yellow, and it wasn't so thin that the underlying color showed through.

I'm happy enough with the plywood treatment that I will share a photo soon.  The only bad news was that I used the old Microscale crosses, and I think they are way too skinny, so that will be an improvement for the second build.
Rick

Offline WD

Re: Another 1/72 Revell Albatros
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 08:48:45 AM »
We're looking forward to seeing it Rick.

WD

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 10:20:32 AM »
Got my popcorn and pepsi , I'm all set !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 08:16:23 PM »
Normally I detest showing works in progress, because my work generally stays ugly until it turns a corner near the end.

But this time I need y'alls advice.  On this kit I used some of my ancient stock of MicroScale decals for the crosses.  I figured that no matter how old they were, they were right.  But these are looking way, way too skinny to me, and I seek your opinions.  Should I finish it up like this or overlay the crosses with some that are thicker in the middle, like Americals?

WIP_alb1 by Rick Heinbaugh

WIP_alb2 by Rick Heinbaugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 11:40:47 PM »
They do look a little on the thin side but it looks fine to me . That choice is yours on whether you want to replace the crosses .

I do like your wood effect , nicely done in this scale

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 04:41:48 AM »
The wood grain on the fuselage is excellent and appears nicely "Scaled". Like Alexis, I think the crosses, especially the upper wing, look a bit thin. I also agree that it is your call. Looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 08:46:10 PM »
Your Revell Albatros looks great - excellent wood tones for fuselage too.

Not sure about the crosses to be honest

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!