Author Topic: Pfalz D.IIIa Eduard 1/48  (Read 2933 times)

Offline FAf

Re: Pfalz D.IIIa Eduard 1/48
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 09:00:05 PM »
Continuing to be an outstanding and detailed build. Looks Fantastic!
RAGIII

Agree!
/Fredrik

Offline Honzap

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 05:13:42 AM »
Folks,

Thanks a lot, your comments surely help me along the way from “I don`t know if I can do it” towards “Let`s try this and see…”

Jan

Offline Honzap

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 05:35:28 AM »
Moving on with little Pfalz…fuselage closed and lower wing on…Yay! A big step for me  :)

Seat was little lower, a piece of plastic underneath and the height now looks about right.
Seatbelts. Bending/wrinkling them so they don`t look metal was an experience of its own.
Ammobox is completely scratched. I wanted to modify the kit part initially, but very soon have discovered making a new one was less work. Not quite sure what was stretching my patience more. Positioning the feeding chutes to Spandaus or gluing the whole thing into the fuselage.
Engine lost couple of pieces when gluing the fuselage together. Will re-do them, since now I know how, it should be a rather fast affair.

Otherwise, a little bit of sanding and filling. And onto the spraying first paint!

Cheers,
Jan

Offline Honzap

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 05:38:49 AM »
Close up of the cockpit. Almost nothing that was added is visible  :)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 02:46:14 AM »
Getting there , keep up the excellent work  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Matti

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »
Very nice work so far, especially the extra details ;)

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 02:42:54 AM »
A really great build, progressing well! Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 01:01:21 AM »
Your Pfalz looks outstanding all closed up. The interior is beautiful as are the details added!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2021, 07:13:18 PM »
Looking great. Don't worry if all the awesome added interior details aren't visible. They are still there, we saw the photos and you had great fun adding them!

Richie

Offline Honzap

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 10:30:58 PM »
Time to resurrect this build. Other things in life got priority, but now there is time for modelling again.

8 months ago I made it to first spray of paint. Well, paint went on and with small corrections it looks pretty nicely. Next - lozenge decals...

I was using the decals supplied in the box. They are made in 2019 which is where the top transfer layer can be removed leaving only the paint. No lacquer, no silvering, the look of spray-painted insignia. Put on the decal, apply the decal solution, let it dry (overnight) and using twezers carefully remove the top layer. So goes the theory.

First try was on the bare plastic. Suprisingly it produced the best result. Only small tears when removing the top layer from the applied decal. Yeah, I can do this!
Second try. Plastic with a layer of surfacer on. Otherwise same as above. This time when removing the top layer, larger chunks of paint when with it. Drats! This will have to be redone. And new model is on the way, since there is no spare lozenge supplied. So naturally I took the rest of lozenge to experiment.
Third try. On surfacer with decal solution under the decal in order to improve the adhesion. Otherwise same as above. Wrrriiiiiiinnnkklleeeeeeesssss all over the place. The thing turned into a Lycra/Spandex or such and stretched any and every way imaginable. Eventually I have let it dry and did yet another attempt on removing the top layer. Due to wrinkles, literally half of the decaled wing came off. Strong-headed anyone?
Fourth try. The new kit got in and new decals with it. Back to the beginning, leaving the top layer on. Started with the largest area - the wing. No surfacer, no decal solution underneath. Cut the decal into 3 pieces to make it more manageable. Either way, decals applied, wrinkles again. No matter what I did - more solution, carefully slicing/pinching the wrinkles, more solution. Not to avail.

Ordered yet another kit. And with it, Microsculpt decals.

To be continued...now as a multiple Pfalz build  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 10:43:50 PM by Honzap »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 10:47:15 PM »
Have not had the privilege yet on trying these new method of decals , but you aren't the only only who has had this troubles with them .

Looking forward on seeing the others being built now

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2022, 11:02:21 PM »
My recent Camel build was my first kit with that decals and the result was fantastic!
I strictly followed the Eduard rules, also with setter below! the decals and removed the film completely.

This time when removing the top layer, larger chunks of paint when with it.
I used a primer on the model of course (and I mean a real primer like Alclad, which bites into the surface and not this  polyurethane which is sold as primer but is not such) and let the paint on top of the primer drying before.

For details, discussion and link to Eduard description see my build report.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Honzap

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2022, 02:29:46 AM »
Alexis,
thanks for the sympathy :)

Frank
I may give it just one more try when the yet anther new kit arrives here. But the MicroSculpt decals will be on the ready.

cheers,
Jan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2022, 10:15:59 AM »
As a Pfalz pfan since childhood I'm glad to see you back at it despite your issues.
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2022, 10:04:44 PM »
It is good to see this one progressing. I Hope you get the decal issue fixed and of course I will also look forward to all of those Future Pfalz builds  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler