Author Topic: LVA Fokker D.VII from Wingnut Wings  (Read 27329 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: LVA Fokker D.VII from Wingnut Wings
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
Very good start. im watching this one.

Steve

Offline IvotB

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »
Thanks Bo for the links. Indeed these are excellent examples of the Mercedes D.III engine to use as reference.

Just a small job today. I wanted to get the plug leads from magneto to the spark plugs.

So first I cut a piece of brass tube to the correct length and fitted 6 copper wires in the tube:

Then I wanted to have small holes in this tube for the plug leads to run from the tube to the spark plugs. I used my Proxxon milling machine for exact spacing and position of the holes:

I guess I could have done this by hand, but this is much easier and more exact.

Then the tube was glued to the right hand side and the 6 leads were bent and fitted to the magneto. Also I glued the plug leads in the holes, but as the plugs are still missing, they are not yet of much use ;)

On the other side I first want to drill the holes for the priming cups before fitting this tube with the wires.

This is the result before painting:

Ivo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
  Ivo,
Very impressive work my friend. I'm looking forward to following along here and taking notes for my own Fokker someday.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline petrov27

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
Great job on drilling that brass tube! I attempted the same for a similar build and failed completely in doing it by hand drilling.. :(

Your build is looking great - can't wait to see more
-Patrick

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »
I tried it by hand and failed miserably, so I think your method is the best. Now if I just had one of those milling machines.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 03:41:52 AM »
Looking good.  How did you fish the wire out of that tube and out of those small holes?

Amazing!!

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline IvotB

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 04:23:50 AM »
Yes Mark, that's a good question. And I could be foolish enough to try that too ;D . I think I could have done that, but probably with a lot of frustration. The tube is just wide enough to accept 6 wires, I couldn't fit in a seventh. Now if you realise that along the drilled holes there will be a small dent into the tube reducing its inside diameter. That would mean that 6 wires will not fit anymore. I guess I could have tried it with three or four wires, but fact is I did it with none:

Then the tube was glued to the right hand side and the 6 leads were bent and fitted to the magneto. Also I glued the plug leads in the holes, but as the plugs are still missing, they are not yet of much use ;)

So before drilling the holes I have glued 6 wires in one side of the tube and after the holes were drilled and the tube glued to the cylinders I just glued a wire in every hole.

Now there is another challenge waiting for me and I do intend to follow that one: I am planning to make the control wires from the control stick and the rudder panels all the way to the rudder and elevator through the fuselage. WNW has provided holes in the fuselage to do this and also in the elevator for the upper control wire. The only thing is, is that these holes are there with an angle of 90 degrees to the crossed surfaces instead of a much smaller angle :o . But for this exercise it will have the same effect: nobody will see the difference whether these lines are connected correctly or are there just for cosmetic purposes. So now you may also understand my question in another topic for a pin vice to accept small drills  ;)

Thanks for the compliments for drilling the holes in the tube, but that goes to the milling machine. I know it is quite an investment (I estimate the Proxxon MF20 at about 300 USD), but it is always a good investment to buy proper tools. And at that price it means buying one modelloco less or 3 or 4 less WNW kits in your stash  ;)

I must wait for the etched nuts to arrive to proceed with the spark plugs. Can't wait....

regards,
Ivo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:15 AM »
Amazing motor work. Thats fine engineering!!

Steve

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
Hello, Ivo -

Just catching up with the forum -

Great progress you are making on your DVII and it is looking very, very good.   Your certainly getting this together pretty quick - I've only just started to work on my engine.   Test fitting my cockpit structure tonight revealed a poor fit meaning the fuselage halves did not meet together well.   I obviously made a mistake (somewhere) on this this.  I have had to trim away some of the structure to get a reasonable fit.  I'll update everyone in due course once I have moved forward from the engine.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline IvotB

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:33 AM »
Dave,

Maybe you haven't located the canvas back panel of the cockpit in the correct holes of the tube frames or you haven't put the cockpit floor at the correct location. I found that the fit of it all is pretty tight and you have to get it right and then everything fits beautifully. Although WNW suppllies an excellent manual, you have to really find out for yourselves how and where everthing should fit. For instance the back panel doesn't sit between the vertical tubes of the frame, but just before and the upper and lower connection of the back panel should fit into tiny holes in the tube frame. Once you have found this I am pretty sure that the cockpit frames should fit tightly between the fuselage halves. At least mine does and I don't expect much production tolerances in the sprues of this WNW kit.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:04:03 AM by IvotB »

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »
Hello, Ivo -

Just catching up with the forum -

Great progress you are making on your DVII and it is looking very, very good.   Your certainly getting this together pretty quick - I've only just started to work on my engine.   Test fitting my cockpit structure tonight revealed a poor fit meaning the fuselage halves did not meet together well.   I obviously made a mistake (somewhere) on this this.  I have had to trim away some of the structure to get a reasonable fit.  I'll update everyone in due course once I have moved forward from the engine.

Regards

Dave
Dave, I know what you mean, I think the D.VII is rather an unforgiving beast when it comes to misalignment or construcors error. My interior seemed too wide around the ammocans area, also a slight but with WNW tolerances awful misalignent made it a daymare to get sat right, I put it down to my over eagerness.  Another warning for all She is ragile I dropped mine due to thick finger syndrome and it cracked around the seam where the fuselage/rist panel join.

Anyway... Not to distract from Ivo's beautiful build. I just wonder why make the spark plugs when Taurus offer some really nice resin ones? Amongst other fine details for this engine now too.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline IvotB

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
Keith,

I hadn't seen Taurus models and their spark plugs before. I could have used them certainly. But on this site ww1aircraftmodels.com I found quite an acceptabele procedure to build your own sparks plugs, which I decided to follow.

I see that they provide a solution to another problem I discovered on the WNW D.III engine: all valves on all 6 cylinders are in the closed position. That is not realistic. So now I found that Taurus models produces a set with valves, rockers and timing gear that will solve just this problem. I have the impression based on pictures of the real thing, that at least 2 valves should be more or less opened and that is an intake valve on one cylinder and then an exhaust valve on the next.

Now I have to decide if I let this detail slow me down further or that I am satisfied with one incorrect item on my build  ;D

regards
Ivo

Offline IvotB

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 06:25:24 AM »
Ok, I have decided:

I ordered the timing gear, lifters and valves, spark plugs and intake manifolds. I'll decide which spark plugs I am going to use on this model. My own or Tauruses  ;D

regards,
Ivo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:27:38 AM »
Ok, I have decided:

I ordered the timing gear, lifters and valves, spark plugs and intake manifolds. I'll decide which spark plugs I am going to use on this model. My own or Tauruses  ;D

regards,
Ivo

You mean you didn't get the manifold nuts?  :o ;D

Offline IvotB

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
Bo,

I think I did. In my post I forgot the word 'nuts' after manifolds. I ordered set 3211, which contains the manifold nuts. I have never seen them though, so I'll study the pictures of the real thing a little better.

A small but tedious job today and I am not completely satisfied. The Spandau guns have been made from 4 parts, 2 styrene and 2 etched brass:

I test fitted them in the supports.

They just have to be sprayed with gun metal and then the leather backsides will be added.

I need to do some rigging in the cockpit and then I'm going to secure it all in the fuselage.

regards,
Ivo