Author Topic: Special Hobby 1/32 Nieuport 11 Bebe - French Aces  (Read 3773 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Special Hobby 1/32 Nieuport 11 Bebe - French Aces
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 06:19:24 AM »
Even temporary, your strut work betrays nothing of the trials you've gone through. I'm excited to see them in place and the build progressing!
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 08:24:18 AM »
Just one big happy smiley face here !

Super clean work  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 07:20:29 PM »
Very nice. I like the linen shading especially.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 07:49:24 PM »
Thanks guys - but you might not like the next bit so much!

This is the point where I started to make some mistakes. Firstly I noticed that most Bebe’s had cabane and undercarriage struts in a metal finish, so my wood streaking had to be repainted.
Then I pored over plans in the datafile and scaled up where the control horns should pass though the elevators and marked up for drilling. I don’t like individual horns as offered on the kit’s PE sheet but prefer a single horn that passes through the aerofoil as on the real thing. Thus I fashioned horns from sheet stock and glued in place. Then something didn’t look right. Doh! I’d measured back from the hinge into the tailplane rather than the elevator and mounted the horns on the fixed surface rather than where they would actuate the control surface.
Much swearing. My fault completely but, again, if Special Hobby had given some indicator points on the elevators I would hopefully not have gone astray.
Horns removed, patched, new holes drilled, new horns installed in correct position.

Time to mount the top wing but first a coat of Winsor & Newton Galeria gloss (My go-to choice for varnish which works perfectly with pretty well all decals I have used. (hmmm….). Windshield, filler caps etc installed and decals applied.
Some trouble with the fuselage chevrons which started to disintegrate as I gently lined them up. Managed to get them all in place but with a few fragments missing. Fortunately I have a huge stock of old Humbrol tins and found that 109 “WWI Blue” matched the blue of the SH decals perfectly, so a little touching up and dry brushing rectified this completely.
Then large roundels under top wing. These just would not settle down and eventually I applied some MicroSol – disaster! Decals started to shrivel up and had to be scraped off in bits. I have the SH Nie16 kit with underwing-only roundels (which will probably be built as a Russian Nie or Dux) so these were pressed into service instead and applied with only gentle heat from a hair drier and appeared to settle fairly well. Top wing roundels applied similarly. The rudder decals just wouldn’t conform to edges so were cropped and painted in.

You can imagine, I was pretty fed up during all this and didn’t take any pictures. (One might have shown the bits flying out the window!)
Anyway, top wing and tailplane finally mounted and a bottle of white Rioja opened!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 10:57:07 PM »
Well, it looks great in the pictures.  Time to take a step back and take a deep breath.

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2022, 02:04:32 AM »
If you had not mentioned the mistakes I would not have known there were any, pictures look great. Without wanting to sound unpleasant it is good to hear other people making cock ups, it makes me realise I am not the only one that does them.
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2022, 02:21:46 AM »
Again, the result shows no sign of the troubles you had to endure. She looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing your issues - hopefully your experience will help future builders of this kit  :)
Zac in NZ

Offline macsporran

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2022, 04:41:47 AM »
Comments appreciated, guys, thanks.

Another day, another frame of mind. Positive thinking. Things are going to go well today.
Time to mount V-struts in upper wing and hang lower wings off them, while locating wing stubs in pre-drilled holes. Out with the blu-tac again!

In first picture struts are held in place with tac while everything is trued up and struts are then CA’d to top wing. I don’t use a jig as I tend to bash it and knock bits off. I favour the old Mk1 eyeball which allows for the whole thing to be moved around to check alignments from all angles. It’s worked fine so far, but who knows for the future as decrepitude approaches?
Second picture, struts have set and lower wings are CA’d in place.

You’ll notice here that I have cut the conrods off the aileron cranks as, once more, there was no indication from Special Hobby as to where the rods would enter the top of fuselage on their way to connecting with control stick. Therefore I attached cranks in wing with a small space at front with a view to drilling and dropping newly-fabricated conrods in place once wing was mounted. (Another improvement to be considered by SH if they decide to reissue this kit.)

She’s starting to look like a Bebe and surely the biggest setbacks are behind us……

Offline Grant

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 06:13:19 AM »
One of my all time favorite aircraft, and you have done it proud! Really beautiful work on the covering, looks just like the real machine, love it. 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2022, 06:40:36 AM »
Really Looks awesome from My point of View! Beautiful painting and the wings look like you had No Issues at all with strut location!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2022, 07:51:35 PM »
Hi Mac,
Yes the aileron control rods are a pain to locate correctly, especially when drilling through the fuselage to to cockpit.
I opened up the upper wing slots then temporarily located the upper wing.
Line of site through the to the fuselage, then marked the fuselage.
Removed the wing then drilled through the fuselage and shaped the holes to an oval.
After the wing is fitted the control rods can be located through the wing slots and down into the cockpit.
Of course that is not an option if you've already fitted the wing,

Mike

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 04:12:35 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2022, 01:09:15 AM »
That’s an amazing Nieuport in the making. Just for interest: No black taping on the edges of this very machine?
Andreas

Edit: taping of course, not gaping
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 06:20:43 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2022, 02:43:04 AM »
Thanks Andreas.
The only source I have for N642 is the SH colour leaflet which shows dark brown edging strips on the fuselage but none on the wings. Also detailed is N576 (as appended above by Mike "Photobomber" Norris  ;D) which does show brown edging on flying surfaces so I am trusting SH's research to have differentiated whether appropriate or not.
S

Offline macsporran

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2022, 03:04:58 AM »
Good progress. All the nasties hopefully behind us......, Let's crack on. Metal struts repainted, undercarriage attached. A few more details and we can get on to final varnish coating, a little weathering and rigging.
Sandy

Offline macsporran

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2022, 03:43:25 AM »
And..... Disaster.

To recap: After painting, the wings were sprayed with Winsor & Newton Galeria Gloss and having learnt my lesson with MicroSol, no decal softeners were used with upper roundels but gentle heat from a hair dryer was applied - which settled them down beautifully. Then left overnight .

So, let's seal them in with another coat of W&N.
Aaaarg.
As I sprayed the varnish the wing decals began to bubble up in places and lift off the wing. I stopped spraying and studied them, there appeared to be air now trapped under the decals and I used a new scalpel blade to pierce them and hopefully settle back down. As the varnish dried the decals wrinkled and cracked as they set back down. NB This is W&N Galeria diluted with a little water which I have used on countless models - never with any adverse effect on any transfers.

Once the decals and varnish had dried I took a picture and wondered who had cursed this model, or was it made on Friday the 13th. What else can go wrong?
Time for another hard think.
S