Author Topic: Special Hobby 1/32 Nieuport 11 Bebe - French Aces  (Read 3764 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Special Hobby 1/32 Nieuport 11 Bebe - French Aces
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2022, 05:41:13 AM »
She’s starting to look like a Bebe
That she is, and a captivating example at that!

and surely the biggest setbacks are behind us……
Oh dear...I'm afraid I can't offer any advice beyond step back, take some time to breathe, and ponder a plan of attack. I know you can overcome this.  :)
Zac in NZ

Offline Borsos

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2022, 06:21:40 AM »
Don’t give her up… she’s too pretty!  :-[
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2022, 06:25:40 AM »
Don’t give her up… she’s too pretty!  :-[
Andreas

I agree with Andreas! Just curious did this only happen on the one roundel or did you cease spraying before reaching the other side? I wonder if another bout with the hair dryer would straighten it out again? That being said it looks as though you may need to take the More Painful route and remove the decal/s and either source new roundels or mask and paint them.
Either way Don't give up...although a break Might Help 8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online macsporran

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2022, 08:19:32 AM »
Again, thanks fellas, for the encouraging words.

Re the spraying, I popped the model on the turntable in the booth and wafted mist coats of W&N (20% water mix) over the wings. As it dried I wafted some more and at that point I saw the bumps rising in both roundels and immediately stopped, lifting the turntable out of the booth and looking closely to see what was happening. Then I pierced the bubbled areas with scalpel point but without desired result of decal snuggling back down. Since hair dryer had worked previously I very gently tried this and decal did flatten but with bulges, cracks and veins appearing. W&N Galeria is about the most chemically neutral varnish I use and there was no MicroSol/Set/etc anywhere near these markings.

I'd just say, I've been modelling for over 50 years and won a few medals here and there but never had decals behave like this before. I've wrestled the old Blue Rider thick decals into submission, I've succeeded with some of the notorious Roden lozenges - but this sheet from Special Hobby was the worst in my experience - yet they looked so good before application.

I've got an idea how to proceed, but a wee break first methinks!
Cheers
Sandy

Offline WD

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2022, 09:25:00 AM »
Sandy,
          I'm so sorry to see this happening, but I know you'll overcome it. Funny, I was playing a modeling podcast where I learned some new things about decals and Micro-Set/Sol reactions just this last week. Like you, I think this just beats all I've ever seen/heard.
    Beautiful build so far. Just step back as others have said and plot your next move(s).

WD

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
Oh gee Sandy , are you trying to copy me with disasters ?
That is a really bummer Sandy and feel for you on that happening with the decals . I'm sure once you have a break an few glasses things will be better .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2022, 11:47:09 PM »
Really annoying when one can't see the origin of the problem! I hope you will find a way forward and if that way includes painting the roundels, I'd be happy to supply you with masks for that!

/Fredrik

Online macsporran

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2022, 10:17:45 PM »
OK. A break from the Nieuport was called for over the weekend and I had a good WW2 movie to watch – Persian Lessons, (about a young guy teaching a Nazi to speak Farsi to save himself from death in an extermination camp – very moving, well worth a watch – superb ending.) I’d had a bottle of single malt Laphroaig for my birthday, so a few drams and a good movie and modelling setbacks disappeared completely.

Back to work. I contemplated removing the crappy decals and masking/painting, but testing showed I’d damage the layered ribs and linen etc underneath necessitating repainting the whole wing in several layers – and probably end up binning the whole thing.  What else? Well I also make model cars and use micro-mesh abrasives to gently polish paint jobs before shining up with polish.
I cut small rectangles of various grades of micro-mesh and cut an angled slice off some old paintbrushes, then used white glue to attach the mm’s to these improvised tools. I began to very carefully sand away the veins and bumps on the decal surface – exposing some linen underneath but retaining most of the roundel’s shape. Once I was happy with the flatness of the surface I began to touch in the imperfections with aforesaid Humbrol colours and set aside to dry. Once fully cured I went to work again with the mm sticks and repeated until I was completely happy with the finish. Only then, with great trepidation, did I load W&N varnish back in the Iwata and lightly coat everything ……. with no problems, this time. Phew.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2022, 10:57:06 PM »
I'm glad to hear the repair worked out.  Should be an awesome build!

Offline FAf

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2022, 11:28:14 PM »
👍👍👍
Let's hope you never have to use your excellent method again. 😃
/Fredrik

Online macsporran

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2022, 11:39:29 PM »
I'd be happy to supply you with masks for that!
/Fredrik

Thank you, Fredrik, for your very kind offer. I think I'll use masks on any future SH builds!
Sandy

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2022, 03:12:50 AM »
Whew! I'm genuinely relieved to hear you found a fix for this nasty issue Sandy.
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2022, 03:57:19 AM »
That was a Gutsy Fix IMHO  8) I am Happy to hear it worked well!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online macsporran

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2022, 07:23:01 PM »
Cheers, chaps.

Now I've decided that this is not going in the bin, I suppose I'd better find a suitable pilote  as it is my habit to always display an appropriate figure beside each model. Available 1/32 figures tend to be dominated by LSK or RFC types and I need to look further afield for hommes de l'Armee de l'Air.  Miniart and ICM do some nice 1/35 French, Italian and other figures and I've already used MiniArt 35105 French Tank Crew for another Nieuport so I'll use the guy fastening his chin strap for the Bebe. A few splashes of paint and some washes and dry brushing gives us this. He'll do. (You might sense that enthusiasm has waned a little on this model and I can't wait to build something that just falls together out of the box next time!)
Sandy

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2022, 07:31:21 PM »
Your experience shows that there is always a way out for a modeller. Great that you managed the recovery. Looking forward to see this nice model completed, with a pilot. ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.