Author Topic: Dreidecker zur See!  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Dreidecker zur See!
« on: January 16, 2022, 06:07:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies for my likely misuse / mis-spelling in the title! I had a play with a bit of a 'what if' concept this afternoon, one that i've had in my mind for a little while now. I got the idea when I saw the markings of Rudolf Klimke's Jasta 27 machine with the big yellow anchor emblazoned upon it. Not sure why, but when I saw that I thought the Fokker Dr1 would look kinda cool as a sea plane, in Marine livery (light blue, hex lozenge upper surfaces, etc). I imagined some sleek floats, maybe a vertical stabiliser for lateral stability, possibly a twin row oberursel engine, and maybe only a single Spandau due to weight. The idea was that the Fokker would be used as a coastal defence interceptor and fighter.

Anyways, I had a play this afternoon and completed the basis for a fun little conversion, to bring this probably silly idea to life:

I used the Eduard Dr1, and some (sufficiently heavy) spare resin floats from (I think) an old Hanriot HD2. Struts are brass rod. I'll likely fill and sand around the struts once I am happy with it all. The stabiliser was quickly scratched up from plastic card, and the whole thing tacked together to assess the 'look' of the idea.

So, very early days, but I think it looks  interesting :)  What do you think? (This is where I find out that there was actually a prototype or something of this thing...!)

Cheers,

BC
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:05:11 AM by Brad Cancian »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Dreidecker zur see!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 06:31:57 PM »
Well that's the most unique Triplane I've seen on the Forum so far Brad. What a great idea and it's looking really realistic too.

Most imaginative!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:15:17 AM »
The great thing about 'What If' subjects is you cannot be wrong on anything. I think a Dr.1 float plane is a great idea, better still in lozenge. Can't wait to see where this goes.
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:53:39 AM »
What a brilliantly inspired idea!! Fantastic! I don't think I've ever seen any Great War Fokker on floats, let alone a Dreidecker. Brilliant!

The great thing about 'What If' subjects is you cannot be wrong on anything.
Precisely! And I love it when people think practically such as with the added dorsal fin. My start in posting my models online was largely inspired by the What If? Modellers forum, where I've been a member since I was a teenager so I do love a good Whif.

That said, the float struts do look a tad long to me - but that's just my opinion.
Zac in NZ

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 05:46:36 AM »
It is an interesting modeling exercise, no doubt about it. I am really looking forward to se the final result. Even if I am quite sceptical about the idea of what-if models in general.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:16:29 AM »
This is really cool Brad, she's going to be striking in that livery.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 10:04:55 AM »
I like the idea , was thinking the same thing a fews back so I'm looking forward on seeing this come to life . Was even planning on doing a Pfalz D.III/a as one .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 05:53:33 PM »
Brad, I love the idea and WhIf modeling is actually my second passion, I am in the Beyond The Sprues Forum as well.
I love your build so far!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 06:05:07 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback on this concept - much appreciated!

Whilst it is nice that I can't really get this one 'wrong', I will take the feedback on board re the strut lengths and decide if I want to shorten them up a little bit. The difficulty with the Triplane is that she is quite a 'tall' bird, so if the struts are too short she'll look oddly 'squat'. She could stand to come down maybe 5-10mm though without too many problems, I think? Thoughts?

Thanks also Prez for the comment re what-if's; I am more than happy to move this one into the 'world of scale modeling' sub forum if that's where folks think it sits better?

Alexis - i do also like the idea of a Pfalz on floats - that'd be a sleek looking machine as well in some Marine livery!

Cheers,

BC

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 09:41:02 PM »
I think that the float struts length should be dictated more by technical than aesthetical arguments. The issue here would be the protection of engine and propeller from salt water with large enough gap.

And as for the proper forum section for this thread - me, I do not mind it being here, but it is the admin team who should decide ;-)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 09:57:52 PM »
Perhaps if you went in-between the two lengths pictured it would satisfy both arguements.
Alexis should make a Pfalz Triplane on floats.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 10:29:13 PM »
If you compare it with contemporary waterplanes, I think the left one look s better.

Nice and interesting what if.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 11:25:20 PM »
Brad, that is a nice and creative project!

Firstly, apologies for my likely misuse / mis-spelling in the title!
Nearly correct! you should write "See" with capital S  :D

Now some technical comment:
I would put the floats in the forward position.
Some time ago I build here the Sopwith Schneider. The development has a nice history (more and drawings to be found in the Windsock Datafiles):
A Tabloid was equipped with a 100hp Gnome Monosoupape engine and a large central float as well as two supporting floats on the wings, in order to take part in the "Schneider Cup" for seaplanes in Monaco. On 31 March 1914, at Southampton, pilot Howard Pixton (who had just recovered from a severe cold) attempted a test flight. After he opened the throttle, the plane immediately flipped over and the pilot was thrown out of the cockpit into the icy waters of the Hamble River!
The aircraft was salvaged, the central float separated into two parts and these reattached much further forward. The support floats were removed. On 8 April, Pixton flew it successfully and on 20 April, this aircraft, which became famous as the "Sopwith Schneider", won the Cup in Monaco.

So with a forward position you will be on the safe side.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 12:44:52 AM »
I think the shorter struts still look too long, but I also think Przemol is right - technical considerations would dictate the length.  I would consider the length of the prop.  Also, if the struts are tall, the plane would be inclined to flip over when the throttle was opened.  This could be offset by moving the struts forward, but this also has a limit as it effects the center of gravity.  Sorry if I am over thinking this, but I'm an engineer.   :)

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 02:20:49 AM »
I appreciate everyone's opinions on how long and where they should be but I have two points to make. Firstly the manufacturers often got it wrong themselves and had to make adjustments on future production aircraft. The second is probably the most valid, we build these planes for fun. If you get too anal on details the fun can be lost.
Alan.