Author Topic: Fokker D.VII - 4.Wlkp Sqn. J.Hendricks (1/72, Eduard)  (Read 8732 times)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Fokker D.VII - 4.Wlkp Sqn. J.Hendricks (1/72, Eduard)
« on: January 14, 2022, 08:37:50 AM »
This is the project I had in my mind for some time now. I would like to build the Fokker D.VII from Polish post WW1 war service flown by Józef Hendricks in 4. Wlkp Sqn. in the 1920 war against Soviets.

This is the a/c I look at every day as its picture by Tomasz Kaca adorns my cell phone cover  :)

I have completed a set consisting of Eduard OAW weekend kit, Brassin Mercedes engine, Ed Zoom PE, Part PE for Fokker version of D.VII and Wood-and-Wire 5colour losenge decals.

The first days were spent on scraping the fuselage interior to fit Part internal truss with front section exchanged for more accurate Eduard bits from the engine Brassin set.
I have cut off the upper engine cowlings because photos show many Fokkers of 4. Sqn without them.
I have also removed the OAW details from side engine cowlings. Unfortunately the Part PE bits are overscaled but after a successful attempt I am quite optimistic that I will be able to cut the single louvres and covers and glue the to plastic sides. To be continued...

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline WD

Re: Fokker D.VII - 4.Wlkp Sqn. J.Hendricks (1/72, Eduard)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:12:16 AM »
Excellent work!

WD

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
WOW! I am in Awe of anyone that can bend and fold those PE interior frames without Mutilation! Looking awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:33:14 AM »
I will follow this. This is going to be very interesting.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 06:19:07 AM »
What a start, wow!

Also I love your phone cover! I had a custom one printed too but it faded rather quickly.
Zac in NZ

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 08:05:51 PM »
Great start. I am curious how the Eduard Fokker will went together. I only did Roden Fokkers so far and they a realy a pain
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »
Thank you for your interest in this build. I will try not to disappoint you.

WOW! I am in Awe of anyone that can bend and fold those PE interior frames without Mutilation! Looking awesome!
RAGIII

Part PE are lovely to work with. They are soft, not requiring annealing, unlike WNW ones. They also have finely etched fold lines. Small pieces can be easily folded with just firmly gripping tweezers. For larger elements like that truss I have a fine folding multitool, highly recommended.

Great start. I am curious how the Eduard Fokker will went together. I only did Roden Fokkers so far and they a realy a pain

I have built one of them too. It truly required hard work. I remember especially the horrible fuselage lower wing connection. Here it looks very promising.

I have spent some time choosing best options for the interior bits.

The seat is from Part and the cushion cut from kit part. Seat belts EdZoom, linen screen and support Part.

The seemingly fine kit stick will surely be replaced with Part version.

So will be the rudder bar. The Part floor had poor underfeet panels, so I cut these from the kit massive floor.

The instrument panel will be Part with a fragment from EdZoom with clocks treated as the subfoil. Thecwood printed on the latter is horrible... Also more 3D effects will come with magneto and two switches cut from the kit panel. Three fuel switch levers are from Part, hardly discernible!

And finally the throttle is Part and the compass will be combination of kit element and EdZoom face. Unfortunately all these printed pieces in EdZoom are out of register. This will require some retouches.

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 10:51:58 PM »
Yikes that's small!! Part sure gives you the works in this scale.

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 01:35:19 AM »
Yikes that's small!! Part sure gives you the works in this scale.

Steve

Awesome work with the Tiny parts  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:23 AM »
By now I just know all your stuff has the Midas Touch so I have run out of new compliments to say. Really looking forward too seeing this build for more inspiration.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline FAf

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 03:30:42 AM »
Excellent beginning!
Tagging along.
/Fredrik

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 03:42:11 AM »
The new flying controls look fantastic! It's amazing how overscale and out of place the kit parts suddenly appear.

By now I just know all your stuff has the Midas Touch so I have run out of new compliments to say.
Same here: whenever a new update is posted on a PrzemoL build I have to take a few moments to ponder how I can add to the conversation!
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 04:31:13 AM »
Can't help it , but I will be tagging along

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 04:57:47 AM »
Good to see that you have returned to the True Scale. Those parts really are tiny - I am not sure that i could see them to work with any more!

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 04:47:48 AM »
Nice to see your progress. Those Eduard D.VII's are certainly far and above what the Roden kits were.

WD