Author Topic: WW1 model aircraft kit poll from Special Hobby  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
WW1 model aircraft kit poll from Special Hobby
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:06:23 PM »
Following the recent Forum poll to identify the most wanted aircraft kit members would like Special Hobby to produce, the vote went to a 1/32 Hanriot HD.1

Special Hobby have now advised they are seriously considering this project and were really interested in the results of the Forum poll.

While a final decision to do the Hanriot kit has yet to be made- these things take time- Special Hobby have asked Forum members to indicate your wishes on another idea that could see sold out Special Hobby WW1 kits back in production.

Special Hobby has provided us with a list of the OOP tooling that could be put back into production, and the thought is they could be upgraded with new resin and photo etch parts and new marking options.

Again nothing is guaranteed but the cost of returning an OOP kit to production is small compared with a new tool project.

With that in mind Special Hobby invites Forum members to vote for which kit or kits you would want to see back in production.

The list of available toolings are:
SH32006 – Morane Saulnier N (1/32)
SH32015 – Nieuport II Bebe (1/32)
SH48010 – Spad VII C.1 RFC and US Air Service (1/48)
SH48011 – Sopwith Tabloid British WW1 Scout (1/48)
SH48012 – Sopwith Schneider (1/48)
SH48013 – Lloyd C.V Series 46 (1/48)

So based on this, let’s have a new Forum poll  to ask members which OOP Special Hobby kit or kits you would most like reissued?
You can choose all of them but if so please list them in your priority order.

For me the Sopwith Tabloid and Sopwith Schneider top my list but all of these kits would be warmly welcomed back by modellers.

So let’s have your votes folks. Once collated we will advise Special Hobby of the most wanted and hopefully our Forum will be influential in bringing back some sold out kits.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: WW1 model aircraft kit poll from Special Hobby
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »
I will only speak on 32nd scale.
I would like to see the upgraded Nieuport 11 from SH
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 06:14:31 PM »
Ditto!

We really need Nieuport 11 Bébé an updated version of this iconic French fighter...

Cheers: Kent

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 07:20:56 PM »
Since I've managed to acquire 2 Moranes and a Nie 11 and a Nie 16 boxing in 1/32, I probably wouldn't need to buy another myself, but if I hadn't, a GOOD Bebe would be the essential rerelease.

The SH Nie 11 I'm currently working on has major issues and badly needs upgrading though. There are no indications where the cabane struts are to be positioned on the fuselage (which also determines height,) and the separate lower wings are attached to the fuselage by tiny vestigial stubs that will not support them during construction. Pinning them is impractical until you know where to mount the cabanes and upper wing (so the outer V-struts will be positioned correctly.)
Hence my build plan is to mount upper wing on cabanes then hang the V-struts and lower wings off them. Which would be easy if you knew where to mount the cabanes!!!!! I've delayed assembling the wings for several weeks now but have finally taken the leap and drilled and pinned the struts and stuck it all together with blu-tac so I think it will all line up - but it would have been much easier if better designed.

Fuselage, wings, tail, engine, etc all very nicely moulded, resin good, decals great - but the struts let it down.
Please SH - re-issue the kit  BUT please rethink and re-engineer the struts.

Sandy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 10:45:03 PM by macsporran »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 12:45:47 AM »
I am in for choosing the following:
1. Morane  Saulnier N: 32006
2.Nieuport 11 Bebe : 32015
Thanks to Special Hobby for the List of Possibilities!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 12:45:59 AM »
My vote would be the Lloyd C5 in 1/48, I already have this kit so it would not benefit me but as for other modellers it is a great subject and the ones I have seen built look good.
As for 1/32 I will vote the Nieuport Bebe
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 02:29:18 AM »
Quite frankly, SH could happily repop all of these subjects. They are all significant types, and all need to be available. I agree with Przemo, the Nieuport 11 really needs to be tarted up and re-released, my favourite on this list. I have started the A-model kit of the 11, but I got halted by very poor fuselage fit and probably warped parts, there is a thread on the site somewhere... So the SH kit is probably much better... I am trying to stick to 1/32 but easily get distracted... I have the Morane-Saulnier N kit and the plastic looks fine, but it lacks those MS badges on the cowling side front, so need those real bad... glad to hear about PE etc so this is the icing on the cake, may get one more... I also have the Lloyd kit, and the plastic does look OK, but could do with the embellishments! SH do some interesting stuff, their kits are always buildable, so I hope we see lots more WW1 subjects! Regards, Marc

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 02:35:04 AM »
1/32 Morane Saulnier N and
1/32 Nieuport 11 Bebé
1/48 Sopwith Tabloid
1/48 Sopwith Schneider

In this order, I think these will be welcome to me and possibly WWI modellers community. Thanks to SH to ask our opinion.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 03:06:13 AM »
I will vote for the 1/32 Nieuport Bebe

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 03:32:33 AM »
Doesn't sound like special hobby is in any kind of big rush to do more WWI stuff if they are talking about doing a repop of something with new decals.  I would take a new Bebe.
Honor Necessity

Offline Radarman

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 04:01:30 AM »
An improved or upgraded Nieuport 11 or 16 kit would go over well.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 04:15:35 AM »
Yup , Bebe for sure .

Is their Albratos C.III still in production ? Any of the sopwiths would be great , had both kits at one time but ended up trading them so would like to add those back into the collection .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 04:45:55 AM »
Thanks Dave for starting this topic and to Special Hobby for having such faith in our forum!

My votes are very easy:
SH48010 – Spad VII C.1 RFC and US Air Service (1/48)
SH48011 – Sopwith Tabloid British WW1 Scout (1/48)

I've been a Tabloid fan for a long, long time and have some ideas for a SPAD VII. Fingers crossed!
Zac in NZ

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 05:50:23 AM »
For me, I would like to see a improved "Bullet".
The OOB-Kit is definitely not bad at all, but in the cockpit area it is extremely sparsely equipped.
Since this area is very clearly visible to see, it would be worthwhile to place more engine components such as carburetor, intake manifolds, levers, or more instruments there.
A detailed fuel and oil tank would also be eye-catching.
The tail section could also use a makeover.

I am currently nearing completion of this kit and I must say I really like this little thing. 
It is worth SH investing some more time here.

Let's be clear, this doesn't have to be a kit that assembles itself in the box by adding some glue and paint.
Just an imperfect kit challenges the modeler and the joy when the model is finished and stands as a gem in the showcase pleases more than a shake - and bake - kit from Tamiya, for example.

WW1 model builders are model builders, not parts gluers.

In short: My favorites would be the Morane Saulnier Type N "Bullet" and also the Nieuport11.

Servus
Bertl

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 07:15:05 AM »
My vote would be for the Nieuport 11 Bebe in 1/32 scale and the Lloyd C.V series 46 in 1/48 scale.

Mike