Author Topic: Better light!  (Read 3738 times)

Bughunter

Better light!
« on: January 02, 2022, 11:52:09 PM »
Since Christmas I am the proud owner of an LED ring for my macro lens. Very bright with 48 LEDs (left and right half separately selectable), with power supply and battery option (useful for exhibitions for example).
I hope that my pictures will be better now ;)

The manual recommend to do a white balance on the light temperature. My cam can save that setting.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Edo

Re: Better light!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 05:27:29 PM »
wow!
that seems very professional indeed!
I don’t have one myself, but I read that it is a device that let you take pictures free of shadows.... if you want a more realistic results (such as in photographing a finished model or a diorama) you could add a black tape on the bottom of the ring to let some shadows show on the lower part of the subject.
can’t wait to see it in action

ciao
edo

Bughunter

Re: Better light!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 08:43:59 PM »
Edo, I don't need black tape, as there is a switch with 3 settings: left half only, all, right half only ;)
If you rotate the LEDs ring on the lens adapter then you can use it also for upper or lower half of the LEDs.
For the finished models I prefer my light tent and/or the new outdoor setup, but for "quick during the build shots" the ring is very useful.
All 48 LEDs need 2A, a new battery set should be able to provide power for 2 hours. On the bench I can use the included power supply.

Cheers,
Frank