Author Topic: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale  (Read 10254 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 07:31:34 AM »
Excellent work on the pit Dan! Like you said, the stick will look cool when the details are added.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 03:03:05 PM »
Thanks Bob and Rick!

Bob:  I'm using stretched sprue from a Revell 1/72nd B-17 I got for Christmas!! That's for the control grip, rudder bar etc.  The other "tubes" are all just printed and could be enhanced by just adding stretched sprue right over the printed parts.  I don't know if I'll do that or not, but maybe.  That would make my eventual shoulder harnesses look better. Oh!  And the curved parts for your boots/heels are from bendy fuse wire.  It's a bit thick, but easy to mold to shape around a paint brush handle.

More soon and thanks for the interest.

Dan

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 04:26:56 PM »
Started getting the fuselage proper together. Lots of careful fitting but the kit parts so far are really, really close and the body is, on the whole, going to be straight and true (I think)!

I did end up taking out the "fuel pump" that's on the right inside as none of my references show it. I think it depended on where the fuel tank was so Dr-1s may have just been gravity fed. I also could find no reference for the instrument the plans show behind the aux throttle on the left inside. I think this is supposed to be the compass (?) so I moved it to the right hand side floor which is where my references show it. I need to make an altimeter and some magneto parts too.  I did get my rudder and elevator controls in though along with some shoulder harness work for the seat.

Still, coming along nicely.

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 11:57:45 PM »
The cockpit looks great Dan, just like Roden or Meng!  Looking forward to more.

Best,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 01:27:21 AM »
That is a cool interior so far Dan , nice work !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 04:51:53 AM »
There's definitely a lot more to paper/card models than I thought - the possibilities are endless! I'm keen to see how this build progresses as I'm really enjoying all the extra work you're putting in.
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 06:19:40 AM »
Excellent work on correcting the compass location and removing the pump! The Dr1, DVI, and EV all used a simple valve arrangement. Here is a shot of the Meng/ WNW DR1 as an example.
RAGIII

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 09:04:32 AM »
There's definitely a lot more to paper/card models than I thought - the possibilities are endless! I'm keen to see how this build progresses as I'm really enjoying all the extra work you're putting in.

I'm with Zac, very interesting!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 04:40:39 PM »
Thank you, everybody and thanks for the reference, Rick!  This is why this is such an awesome forum.

I got the main fuselage parts done and started skinning the bottom and one side. Almost a shame I'm going to repaint this, as everything is fitting really well. Sometimes the skins don't match up mostly due to poor cutting by the builder!  But it will be unique once painted up and done too! Plus, I could always get another one for $5 and use the printed skins as is! Kicking myself that I didn't scan it before I started cutting.  Live and learn... ::)

More soon and Happy Sunday,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2022, 01:22:39 AM »
Going together quite we;; Dan. It was interesting to see how the side ply panel shapes were worked into the construction.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2022, 02:53:01 AM »
That is a different construction method for the side panels and an interesting way of doing it .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2022, 03:30:07 AM »
I agree about the panels.  I guess it gives a bit more backing so the form will be solid and won't sag.  On the other hand, it's just like the original if the white pieces are plywood and the skins are fabric.  I'm having fun with this one and it's going together really nicely.

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2022, 03:42:00 AM »
Dan, are you sure you're not an agent of Big Card Model sent here to convert us? If not...you should be!  ;D I'm very impressed at the extra work you're able to put in to elevate the model beyond what's suggested by the kit.

It was interesting to see how the side ply panel shapes were worked into the construction.
Just like the real thing!
Zac in NZ

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2022, 02:50:23 PM »
Thanks, Zac.  No...no ulterior motive here!  But hey, if folks want to try one, go for it!  I like these since they mix some plastic skills and balsa/tissue skills.  Plus, these paper models do seem to be put together more like the real machines...like those ply panels on the sides!

My trouble is that I like them all...........too many WNW models and too many paper models and too many Airfix models, Special Hobby etc., etc., etc.

Here is the state of affairs as of Sunday night.  I'll need to build my additional instruments and install them and then I'll start the cowling.  Then, on to the wings.  Really starting to look like a Fokker now.

Cheers and have a good week,
Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2022, 05:04:00 AM »
That looks awesome, Dan! The idea of construction reminiscent of the real deal is quite appealing.

Thanks, Zac.  No...no ulterior motive here!
That's exactly what a deep-cover agent from Big Paper Model would say  ;D
Zac in NZ