Author Topic: 1/32 Royal Aircraft Factory BE 2a  (Read 13599 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/32 Royal Aircraft Factory BE 2a
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2022, 03:01:44 AM »
Your engine is looking great and your molding technique is impressive!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2022, 06:09:32 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Frank, Dave, Zac, Willem and rick for the very encouraging comments. I seem for the moment at least to have regained some enthusiasm for this build - I am sure that your positive comments have helped.

I have managed to make slightly faster progress lately - possibly because what I have done is a little more straightforward: ie I have finished soldering the fuselage frame and lower wing spars.

I soldered the lower wing spars to the fuselage longerons first using my usual hyper-complex and expensive jig:

The method involves adding a rib to each end of the spars and supporting the longer end of the spars with a simple support. The front spar sits in a small slot created by the fuselage longerons and rib, the rear is held in place by its own weight. A set square was used to check that all was square which it was because the slots in the fuselage frame were correctly aligned. A quick action with the soldering iron ensured that they are firmly and permanently in place.

The starboard, (right) side spars are longer than the port, (left) because the port side will have the solid wing and the spars do not need to run the whole width of the wing, whereas the starboard side will be uncovered and so the whole of the spar will be exposed on the completed model.

Having put the spars in place I realised that I would have been better advised to wait until I had finished soldering the fuselage frame.......
So having made the mistake I nevertheless proceeded to complete the framework. I used plastic strip at the rear as the sections were so short that cutting and filing the brass bar to length was too trying: the strip is easier to cut and file and was CA'd into place. The remaining framework was brass bar and was soldered a few pieces at a time. The top and bottom sections were straightforward as the piece could be laid on the balsa block and pinned, but the side pieces were more difficult because the spars got in the way... However all is finished and joints filed:

Deciding what to do next has involved some deep thought, (well deep for me). I had to think about whether to put in the cockpit internal details and the rig the fuselage frame before adding the port wing, or add the port wing and then the rig the frame and insert the cockpit details. I have decided that the potential for damage will be less if I attach the wing first. I will have to prime the brass before I do anything so that will be the next step, and then on to constructing the two wing halves and drilling holes for struts and rigging before they are fixed to the spars. That at least is the plan at the moment, but experience so far with this build means that could yet change. The next post will show what I actually decide to do.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2022, 06:28:53 AM »
That's a beautiful piece of work, Stephen! The sort of thing I aspire to. I'm very, very excited to see what comes next.
Zac in NZ

Bughunter

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2022, 06:50:05 AM »
Fantastic scratch work Stephen, I really like what you have done!
I have a feeling (even at a distance) that it has a valuable haptics of a Matchbox toy car: heavy and robust.
I know this from building a trailer out of brass profiles, I have to do something like that again sometime.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2022, 11:19:50 PM »
Your work on the frame looks awesome Stephen! Like Frank said it will be sturdy for sure.
RAGIII

Offline DaveB

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2022, 08:42:43 PM »
The frame work does look good, Steve

Look forward to more progress reports

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2022, 10:57:24 PM »
Super job on getting the frame built up Stephen !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2022, 07:21:28 PM »
Fantastic soldering work Stephen. Integrating the spars is very clever, I must keep that in mind.

Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2022, 06:18:42 AM »
Integrating the spars is very clever
I thought the same - very smart thinking.
Zac in NZ

Offline IanB

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2022, 12:45:41 AM »
Nicely done Stephen. Although, of course, hindsight is always 20-20, and I'm sure it would have been FAR simpler to solder the sides without the wings in the way!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2022, 08:13:01 AM »
Evening All

Thanks to you all for the very kind comments: I really appreciate the support that you give especially at times when my mojo is a bit lacking or I am working on an awkward element.

Frank: I think that I may have used slightly too large brass bar for the fuselage structure, with the result that it does have the strength of an old Matchbox car! I had not allowed for the increase in strength of the thinner bar when it is soldered into a structure like the above: I was concerned about the longerons bending. However I can live with it and I am sure that when it is painted it will not look too overscale in thickness.

Ian: you are 100% right - it would have been easier to complete the fuselage structure without the wings, but then why make something easy when with a little (lack of) thought and planning, I can make it more difficult for myself?!

I intend to represent one half of each wing as if it were covered in fabric and the other half to show the structure: the lower wing will be covered on the port (left) side and uncovered on the starboard (right) and the reverse will apply to the upper wing. Hopefully that will distribute the weight of the model more evenly. I have already shown some wing blanks as prepared from the moulds, but here are a pair of blanks after they have been removed from the plastic sheet and are ready to be assembled:

They are for the upper wing as they represent the starboard side, but the lower port wing half is very similar. I started assembly of the port wing by  drilling holes for the struts and rigging wires in the top face. Thread was passed through the rigging holes and secured with small squares of scrap plastic. The spars were CAed to the top wing surface and the edges of the wing packed as necessary with scrap strip and card. The latter made a better joint surface between the upper and lower wing sections and helped fill gaps caused by trying to marry two moulds together. Experience gained using this method of construction has taught me that filler will be needed in these areas:

After the two wing moulds had been joined, using copious amounts of tube and liquid glue, and this had been left overnight to harden, I applied large quantities of filler:

At this stage the whole structure looks a mess - indeed it was a mess, but patient filing and sanding, and more filling and sanding eventually resulted in a wing surface which when painted will be quite acceptable:

The upper surface ribs were applied by using 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip which was allowed to dry thoroughly and the sanded to thin it. Mr Surfacer 500 was applied first to the edges of the strips, followed by 1000 grade to eliminate any small undulations and provide a smooth surface for priming.

The plastic bag which conceals the fuselage and spars of the starboard part of the lower wing is not there to hide mistakes or horrors of the model: it is there because later I will have to paint the new wing. Following the painting I will have much work to do on and in the fuselage, including painting the fuselage frame, and on the exposed wing structure, and I wish to be able to protect the newly painted wing.

Next I will make both sides of the upper wing before I proceed any further with the existing structure.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2022, 12:37:59 AM »
Your usual outstanding work on the wing Stephen!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2022, 03:50:43 AM »
That’s looking great, Stephen. I like your way of doing wings.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2022, 06:10:26 AM »
As ever, another fascinating update Stephen!
Zac in NZ

Offline Jaysena

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2022, 06:58:04 AM »
Hi Stephen,

I've only just come across your BE.2a WIP and its great to see it taking shape.
I have a set of 45 Royal Aircraft factory manufacturing drawings dated 1913 for the BE.2a.
I would be pleased to send you copies if you could provide me with your email address.

David