Author Topic: 1/32 Royal Aircraft Factory BE 2a  (Read 13587 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/32 Royal Aircraft Factory BE 2a
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2022, 01:28:17 PM »
Kinda made the same mistake on Fe-8 build , my measurements with the lower wing were way off so i know the feeling on having to redo and start over .

Keep at it Stephen , your doing great !  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2022, 06:07:14 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear of your spar hole issue Stephen, what a horrible realisation that must have been. Good on you for persevering - I'd hate to have seen you shelve this very cool project. More power to you!

If anyone is wondering why I am making all of the ribs in one go, the reason is to try to maintain a consistent standard. If I were to make a few ribs, make something else and then start making ribs again I find that it is difficult to remember what has/has not been made/finished, and to keep a consistent standard of parts.
That makes perfect sense to me, a very sensible approach - just like building the real deal.
Zac in NZ

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 04:49:33 AM »
Somehow I missed this thread.

You did a wonderful job on the propeller Stephen, and your soldering is top quality as ever. Making an engine from scratch is no easy feat, especially when the cylinder head bolts were used to hold part of the cowling in place. Making all the ribs in one throw makes sense in terms of continuity and uniformity.

Hats off!

Willem

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 01:49:58 PM »
Hi Stephen
TVAL have an original Renault 80hp engine fitted to their BE2c (early) reproduction. I have a few photos of that engine in this album:
https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/RAF-BE2c-early/

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 05:39:21 PM »
What an incredible photoalbum. You have done it once again James. Razor sharp photographs and amazing details to be seen!

Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2022, 04:12:18 AM »
James - Thank you for these superb photographs - they are an enormous help, not just with the engine but other details too. The very early 2c looks very much like the 2b - which in turn had many common features with the 2a so I will be referring to these in future when I am not sure about a specific detail.

In passing it is very interesting how much variation there was between different versions of the Renault engine: I have seen at least three distinctly different variants.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2022, 06:22:48 AM »
lone modeller modelling plus Jamo reference photography...I think this will be something very special.
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2022, 03:00:18 AM »
lone modeller modelling plus Jamo reference photography...I think this will be something very special.

No pressure then Zac....

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2022, 07:18:55 AM »

No pressure then Zac....

Stephen.
;D ;D I believe in you!
Zac in NZ

Bughunter

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2022, 06:01:12 AM »
Stephen, you had put in a lot of work!
That is an advantage and disadvantage of scratch building at the same time: you can say you have all done by yourself but it costs a lot of time.

In all 60 ribs made
With 60 ribs, an order for laser cutting would already have been profitable.

The airscrew in Jamo's picture looks so beautiful!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Zac for your vote of confidence - I have needed that lately!

Frank: a laser cutter is cheating in my book - and anyway that would be both too expensive and far too complicated for me to master. Remember I am but a simple modeller...... anything more complicated that a craft knife, file or paintbrush stretches my abilities - I have only just learned to solder!

I was unhappy with my first attempt to make the engine cylinders because they seemed to be too small, so I made a second larger set. They were too large for the engine block! When I checked (again) the size of the engine block I found that it was too short....so I had to make another one. Still the new cylinders did not look right, so I did what I should have done long before - I got out the resin kit and looked closely at the parts only to find that the first set of cylinders were the correct size!!! Well I fitted 4 on one side of the block and all seemed to be well:

Then I had to put on the bolts which were fixed via cruciform brackets on the cylinder head to the engine block. They were external to the cylinders and very thin - but I could not decide what material to use to represent them. I tried some guitar wire but that was too thick. Then I lost motivation.....

Later I found some fuse wire which I had completely forgotten about and of course that was the correct size - but I baulked at the idea of fixing it in the small gaps between the cylinders. Another delay. When I came to fit the wire it was not really a problem after all! 

Fitting the cylinders and bolts on the other side was then relatively easy:

I know that some bolts on the inside of the engine are not quite straight but they will be hardly visible when the inlet pipes are in place so I am not going to keep circling trying to get them perfect. For the moment I am setting the engine aside because I need to add tiny details such as spark plugs and inlet valve springs and push rods on the inside of the cylinders, and exhaust valves and push rods on the top. These will be easily and inevitably damaged if I put them on now - I will wait until the engine is mounted on the fuselage before I attempt them. I will also add the inlet and exhaust pipes at a later stage.

While I was struggling with the engine and in an attempt to revive my motivation I decided to mould the covered wing blanks. I carved moulds for the upper and lower surfaces from basswood: both ends have wing tips because I intend to represent the port lower and starboard upper wings covered. The wing plans were marked on the wood and the corners cut off. By making the moulds longer than a wing half I can use one set of moulds to make both wing halves. I cut a simple card template to measure the curvature of the surface and then proceeded to file the moulds to shape:

I was pleasantly surprised when I managed to get 4 moulds from the first 4 attempts. I have learned something from making large moudings in the past!

I am making no promises about when the next posting will be - Easter is looming which means family visit but I am hoping that I will be able to solder the lower wing spars to the fuselage frame and then finish the fuselage structure with plastic strip. After that I can start to make and install the cockpit parts. Well that is the plan!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2022, 08:34:26 PM »
Stephen, you take impressive care to do things correct!

Frank: a laser cutter is cheating in my book - and anyway that would be both too expensive
Recently I noticed that this "Maker" community could be a possibility!
There are fablabs in many cities where you can access machines for free or for a cheap membership. The lab in Munich has 3 laser cutters of different power classes and also Silhuette cutting plotters, beside much more machines. They are publicly funded and sponsored, which is why such expensive machines are possible.
For safety reasons for access the laser cutters an evening class is necessary, but then you can work on this machines with your own designs.
At the moment I have no need, but this is on my list of things to do. And why not laser some wing ribs instead of the usual greeting cards? ;)

I think there are also such communities in your country, here I found one example (also with laser):
https://southlondonmakerspace.org

Cheers,
Frank

Offline DaveB

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2022, 03:27:23 AM »
Great to see you back on the road with this one again, Steve -

I know the engine has given you a lot of food for thought so it is good to see you are getting this one together now and it looks very good indeed.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2022, 03:46:17 AM »
Bravo Stephen, both on the lovely engine and the ingenious solution to the wing moulding issue! I was very happy to see this update but please don't feel obliged on my part to rush getting them out!
Zac in NZ

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2022, 04:08:24 AM »
Good to see you back at the bench again Stephen.

What a clever way to make the wings!

Don't let the hard times with the engine put you down. Engines are very hard to scratch build, and I think you are doing a great job!

Nice to see some scratch building being done.

Makes me wonder about Richie though.
Haven't heard from him for a while...

Willem