Author Topic: Sopwith Camel, 1/48 Eduard, 4.2.22 The end  (Read 16275 times)

Offline Stuart Malone

Re: Sopwith Camel, 1/48 Eduard, 18.1.22 Undercarriage
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2022, 12:45:06 AM »
Frank,

Beautiful modeling.  I'm curious how you did the white shading for the framing on the fuselage?  Did you mask those lines and paint, or maybe painted in general then masked over it for the dark gradient?

Stuart

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2022, 01:24:29 AM »
That a the basic parts to build new legs from 28 brass parts and 3 layers of veneer.
Oh, wow Frank!! That's amazing! And here I was, thinking you'd just use the old tooling legs! Scale engineering at its finest.
Zac in NZ

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2022, 02:07:47 AM »
Wow Frank, your metalwork plant is going full steam as usual  ...  it's always a pleasure to look at your builds ...

Bughunter

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2022, 05:11:42 AM »
Thank you Kevin, Rick, Prze, Stuart, Zac and Antonio! Your feedback is highly appreciated!

I'm curious how you did the white shading for the framing on the fuselage?  Did you mask those lines and paint, or maybe painted in general then masked over it for the dark gradient?
Stuart, on a white primed fuselage I applied thin stripes (hard to see, to match the lines on the plastic). Then I shaded this with a very thin dark color.

your metalwork plant is going full steam as usual  ...
I must admit, that it was not easy this time, because there are many parts are coming together very closely. That makes the soldering very hard! Normally I cool down the next soldering points with tweezers to avoid that is opens again, but here it was not working that way.
It's a good thing that no one heard my curses! ;D

I'm applying now the next batch of decals ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2022, 10:46:19 PM »
Well, your metal work looks excellent.
As for the painting, I have always regarded masking for painting as an art.

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: Sopwith Camel, 1/48 Eduard, 20.1.22 Suspension
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2022, 12:24:53 AM »
This is a joy to follow.
Amazing detail.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2022, 12:56:33 AM »
That is one Gorgeous Camel !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2022, 02:01:20 AM »
Great work, Frank!
As impressive as anything and it all looks so good!
/Fredrik

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2022, 04:13:07 AM »
No, the lower wooden board is not hollow like the original, but I do like my new undercarriage anyway!
So do I, it looks fantastic! Beautiful job Frank!

The "rubber" lines are also wound in to hold the axles and later the model.
As a future Eduard Camel buyer, what did you use for the rubber suspension?

Zac in NZ

Offline Monty

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2022, 06:01:39 AM »
This is incredible modelling, Frank... just lovely detail, so close to the real thing and neat and just ... perfect. Well done! Marc.

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2022, 07:14:51 AM »
I like your new undercarriage as well Frank.

I can only wonder what sort of gem you'd come up with if you scratch built an entire air frame!

Your attention to detail and ability to work like this at 1/48 is very humbling.

Cheers,

Hugh

Bughunter

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2022, 07:37:42 AM »
Thank you very much for your great feedback!

That is one Gorgeous Camel !
Not yet Rick, but I hope very soon!

As a future Eduard Camel buyer, what did you use for the rubber suspension?
The cheapest material we have all - stretched sprue, secured with CA.
The original pictures I showed before has some beige rubber, so I take the beige sprues from the older Edard kits (the newer one a dark blue grey).

just lovely detail, so close to the real thing and neat and just ... perfect.
Yes Marc, I try to understand how things works and try to replicate that.
I (or the engineer inside) like to follow the technical development. E.g. the evolution of the Sopwith undercarriages from the Lebed (Tabloid), Pup, Triplane, Camel (the later camels wound the rubber directly around the struts), which is very close already to the Dolphin. Those I built already.

I can only wonder what sort of gem you'd come up with if you scratch built an entire air frame!
Hugh, I have plans to full scratch a type, which is not available as kit. But such builds take a lot of time, so thankfully to Eduard and others we have a great kit or at least a good base to have a chance to finish a project in a reasonable amount of time. And if I see the huge amount of great details on the Camel here that would be a lot of work to do it myself. And there are also nice accessories to save some time! Why not use those? I will show more soon.
I like to have more finished birds of that biplane time in my cabinet and many kits in my stash are helps me on that way. So my half-scratch work seems to be a good compromise effort and time wise.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »
"I like to have more finished birds of that biplane time in my cabinet and many kits in my stash are helps me on that way. So my half-scratch work seems to be a good compromise effort and time wise."

That is always the plan...  But if you are like me and visit hobby shops once or twice a month and are psychologically unable to leave without at least one kit under your arm, but at the same time, have too many other things that life wants to throw in your way, then it's never going to happen ;)

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »
I have been bogged down with real-life issues, but just found some time to catch up on the Forum. What a great build, I would say 'as usual'... but each one of your builds is both the same and unique. Always a pleasure to see your models grow to completion, and thanks for keeping these extensive build logs :-)

Interesting that the cowling inner ring (near the opening) is sometimes depicted white, and sometimes with revered blue/white (so white line = blue end, blue line = white end)

It can be seen here on the WNW build:

I remember there was an issue of Cross&Cockade about this and other aircraft, and although I'm great at remembering useless details I would not know in this case!

Jeroen

Bughunter

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2022, 04:02:59 AM »
But if you are like me and visit hobby shops once or twice a month and are psychologically unable to leave without at least one kit under your arm
Hugh, I have a trick: I try to stick to 1/48 biplanes. I have them nearly all in my stash or the cabinet, so I don't need to buy something in a shop 8) Ok, I will by the new Eduard Camel Comic this year, but there are not so much new releases in this area.

thanks for keeping these extensive build logs :-)
Thank you Jeroen, and you are welcome!

Interesting that the cowling inner ring (near the opening) is sometimes depicted white, and sometimes with revered blue/white (so white line = blue end, blue line = white end)
I have a picture from front/left of this Camel and it shows clearly a complete white ring. That is also the same in the Eduard manual as there is a own drawing in front view (and one of the right side, btw). The WNW manual do not show both drawings or an original picture, so that detail is not explained and builders artist freedom.

Cheers,
Frank