Author Topic: Bleriot XI  (Read 9866 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Bleriot XI
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2022, 02:38:40 AM »
Wow! That is awesome work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 04:21:03 AM »
Kiwi! my friend! I am not using original drawings, but some I found on the Internet. After some research, I settled to the draws you can find on this site: www.paoloseverin.it
It is a wonderful site, half in Italian, half in English by a guy who makes flying models. The Bleriot he built is 1/4th scale, you can find many pictures of his build and even an article (in Italian) and the plan he used (in English) that I use too, I scaled them down to A4 size and it is 1/32ish I think. I think he adapted something to make it airborne, for instance the wing profile he admittedly says it is an Albatross profile as he was more confident with it (I think he already made an airowthy Albatross, but I am not sure). Anyway, I think the drawing are accurate enought for my build...
If they're good enough for you, my good man, they're great for me! Thank you very, very much!

As I said earlier I'll be in touch regarding STL files as things like the wheels will be a big obstacle to overcome on my own and I'm following your progress with great interest.

Offline Edo

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2022, 12:35:51 AM »
Hi all!
time has come for a new update. These last weeks were spend designing the stabilizers and the rudder, but afer seeing how well this where printed I decided to redo the wings too. In the beginning, in fact, I thought of printing just the ribs and build the wings from those, but then I feared it would have tourned ot in a too fragile and uneaven build, so I decided to print them all the way.
This tourned out to have another problem as the file was too heavy and the printer could not upload it (it continued to reboot or it stuck at 30%-40% of the process).
So I cut the wings in two and that was enought to make the printer work properly again...
So here are some pictures....
left wing tip

left wing middle

right wing complete

This is the rudder, you can see that the design had some foults...

and this is the stabilizers... ok, ok I forgot the control horn and had to add it afterwards...

and, lastly, here is the tail ccomplete, I hope you like it!

ciao
Edo

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2022, 06:03:32 AM »
Edo, I am definitely keen to get airframe data from you so I can print one of these myself - the results look fantastic! Congratulations!

Bughunter

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2022, 06:05:22 AM »
Those 3D printers allow interesting new solutions!
Is it paper on the surface? You can tighten it with nitro varnish (also available as clear wood primer or called dope? We have in German the word "Spannlack" for it, means stretching varnish and is used on flying balsa models).

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2022, 03:54:06 PM »
Wow, fascinating technique remembering AJP maquettes without photoetching shortcomings. Looking foward to see completed model pictures.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Edo

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2022, 05:29:07 PM »
thank you for the kind comments!
Frank, yes it is paper, I painted it with a very diluted yellow ocre oil paint. For the wings I ironed the paper to make it smoother, but I surely try your tip!
Zak, you are welcome, I can send you all the files I used both in .ctb format (the one generated by Citubox slicing sofrware) or in .skp format (the one generated by Sketchup software that I use for designing). The body of the aircraft, though, is “traditional” wood strips 1mm by 1mm.
Thank you Giuseppe! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! And I hope to post some more pictures soon!

ciao
edo

Offline ermeio

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2022, 01:42:09 AM »
excellent work, Edo!
use clear warnish on the paper to avoid the hairy appearance where you cut it.
Tamiya clear in high dilution with alcohol goes perfectly
er me

Bughunter

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2022, 01:52:03 AM »
Here are two examples how my AJP models look like after wood primer (in german "Schnellschleifgrund")

Second picture here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10851.msg213698#msg213698

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8564.0

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2022, 02:21:17 AM »
Zak, you are welcome, I can send you all the files I used both in .ctb format (the one generated by Citubox slicing sofrware) or in .skp format (the one generated by Sketchup software that I use for designing). The body of the aircraft, though, is “traditional” wood strips 1mm by 1mm.
I'll send you a PM - I already downloaded the excellent drawings you mentioned earlier for the fuselage etc  8)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2022, 05:01:31 AM »
OMG ! this is fab Edo !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Edo

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2022, 04:45:18 PM »
hey Frank!
I had forgot those wonderful builds! The Demoiselle is really stunning.
To tell the truth it is on my build list for 3d printing, but it will take some time as after this one I need something more easy to bulid....
Truth is that, 3d printing or not, skill is the simple answer to a masterpiece, and it is very hard to push one’s limit further ahead....

Zak, I’ll send you the files no problem!

Alexis! thank you very much, my old friend!

ciao
eddo

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2022, 02:47:35 AM »
Email received, many many thanks Edo! Following with great interest and taking notes.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2022, 05:23:05 AM »
That’s great, Edo. I really lije what you did here!
As Frank already wrote shrinking dope is great and turns paper into drum tight flying surfaces like on the real thing. I once build some Guillows balsa rubber powered planes and used that stuff then. But beware: It can easily bend wings just by its force. So you should definitely try this out at first on a spare part.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Edo

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2022, 01:28:05 AM »
Hi all!
the time has come to show you the last pictures of the finished model.
Let me tell you that, 3D printing or not, this has been a very hard build and that scratchbuilding it is an art in itself, an art that I don't master at all. Now  looking back to Des' build that I used as a guide throught this build, I can tel you without fear that his build is still a milestone and an unsurpassed one. Too much things are not perfect in my model, alignment, dope covering, structural consistency...
Nevertheless, when I look at it I feel happy: I never thought I would have made it... and I hope some one more talented than me would take the same road and build a better one!
here are the pics, enjoy!