Author Topic: Bleriot XI  (Read 9857 times)

Offline Edo

Bleriot XI
« on: December 11, 2021, 05:30:55 PM »
Hi friends!
It has been really a while since my last contribution to the Forum, but I hope to make myself forgiven with this new one!
I have always admired the ability of some of our fellow members to build a plane from scratch, something that also intimidated me a lot particularely if I compared my poor attempts to the results of such builders (or artist should I say) such as Des, our mentor and host.
I love his skills and the early plane he did are simply gorgeous!
I was actracted by his build of the Bleriot XI best, and I told to myself that sometimes, gathering all of my courage, I could try to emulate that wonderful build...
So the time has passed, but the world kept on tournig and "some" years later here is 3D printing! 
Now it seems to me a bit like cheating, to design a part and print it, and I still have to understand if this could ever be considered as modelling or it is just another kind of hobby.... besides when I buy a kit it is just the same....so, while the question is still open (and I like to hear your thughts about it too), I bought myself a 3D resin printer, logged on a free 3D design PC software and started my project of following Des' steps and build a Bleriot XI.

I started to design the engine: thinking that if I can do this I am halfway already.
Soooo... this are the results... It seems to me they look ok but I'd like to hear from you...

ciao, Edo

this is the main engine part (rear)

front

then there is a smaller part on the back

and the cylinders, of course

Bughunter

Re: Bleriot XI
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 10:35:01 PM »
Nice start with modern tooling!
Which scale is your build? It would be nice if can add this information to the subject please.

One day I will built the Channel crossing Bleriot in 1/48 based on a AJP kit in my stash.
We have a nice thread with reference pics here in the forum.

Cheers,
Frank   

Offline Edo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 05:59:27 PM »
hi Frank!
thank you for the compliments!
it will ben 1:32 ish... I am scaling down some blueprint I found on the Internet so it won’t be too precise....
cio
edo

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 12:31:19 AM »
Looking good, 3D printing is a versatile technique and probably will take place of resin casting for scratchbuilding small to medium size details. Following, sooner or later I would like to try building a Bleriot, Des' build log still remains the best modelling reference.
In bocca al lupo!
Giuseppe

Offline Edo

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 03:57:20 AM »
Hey Giuseppe!
Thank you very much!
I forgot to say that, without wanting to disrupt anyone's business, but I 'd like to give back something to this wonderful community, so if anyone wants the .STL files I use for this build, please feel free to ask me and I'll send them via PM.

now, this is how the Anzani 3 cylinders engine tourned out after gluing the parts together, adding pipes and wires, and painting I hope you like it!

ciao Edo

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 08:43:58 AM »
That’s incredible cool, what you are doing here, Edo. This engine actually looks amazing!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 08:47:24 AM »
Edo,

Very nice.  How did you manage to bend the tube that smooth with such a tight radius?

Stuart

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
Edo, that engine looks superb! What a beauty!
I forgot to say that, without wanting to disrupt anyone's business, but I 'd like to give back something to this wonderful community, so if anyone wants the .STL files I use for this build, please feel free to ask me and I'll send them via PM.
I may have to take you up on that some time - I have a friend with a 3D printer who is always happy to help me out.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
Assembled and painted engine is highly realistic, well done.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Edo

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 04:58:16 PM »
hi all!
thank you for the nice words!
Stuart, it is not a pipe it is just 1,5mm copper wire. By the way, I am running low on my reserve of brass pipes (which I use for turnbuckles) as I don’t seem to find any new suppliers... so, if you have some advice it is more then welcome!

Hey, Kiwi, you are more then welcome!
I am not very skilled in 3d modelling, I just started to learn and I am not an engeneer.... I use Sketchup for designing and my projects are very basic and can sure be better. I’d like to think this build as a prototype of something that can become a community project... so, if you’d like, I can share the Sketchup files that can be modified, too.... just let me know....

ciao
edo

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 06:47:40 PM »
As always: a little paint brings parts to life!

And sorry, forgot the link in my last answer. Lot's of info.
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=12324.0

Regarding your brass pipes: if you search fro Albion Alloys it should give you some model shops (at least here in Germany).
Or is the delivery affected by the Brexit?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 06:07:02 AM »
Hey, Kiwi, you are more then welcome!
I am not very skilled in 3d modelling, I just started to learn and I am not an engeneer.... I use Sketchup for designing and my projects are very basic and can sure be better. I’d like to think this build as a prototype of something that can become a community project... so, if you’d like, I can share the Sketchup files that can be modified, too.... just let me know....
I'm very new to the building side too (eager to learn the modelling) so I think I'll follow your build and get in touch once yours is complete, so I know I'm getting the most of your work and any issues are fixed.  8)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 06:54:29 AM »
Really awesome! I wish I was ,smart enough to do the programming, and financially able to get a 3D printer. You are certainly showing the value and precision of what can be done with a printer! The engine looks awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Edo

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 04:18:00 PM »
hey RAGIII ! ideed the learning curve is a bit steep, but up untill now I managed to keep it simple, but things sure get harder if you are trying to design humans (!) or more sophisticated shapes.... maybe also the free PC program I am using are somewhat limited...
As for the price, I was lucky enought to get a win on a lottery here in Italy (a first time ever event!) but indeed it is not that much... I bought an Elegoo Mars 2 (which has 50 micron layering, so not at the hedge of thecnology) for about 150 euros on Amazon and I was shocked of how mainstream this technolgy has become...

ciao
edo

Offline Grant

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 01:51:46 AM »
Edo,

This looks like a very interesting project and your off to an amazing start. Will follow this one forsure.