Author Topic: Tip: keep your Aviattic Lozenge far away from sunlight  (Read 3016 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Tip: keep your Aviattic Lozenge far away from sunlight
« on: November 25, 2021, 08:28:11 PM »
As the title says. Unfortunately my models are, even if only for a short time of the day, exposed to direct sunlight.
This morning, while cleaning the dust off the models and glass shelves, I noticed the upper lozenge on my 1/72 Albatros D.Va had lost most of it's colour and is now basically tints of green and blue.
Other decals and paints that are near it (e.g. the sworl camouflage on my Encore Oeffag Albatros, or Techmod on my really old 1/72 Fokker D.VII and E.V) still look like the day they were applied.

So, if you used Aviattic lozenge and would like to keep it like it was when applied, keep out of the sun :(

Jeroen

Bughunter

Re: Tip: keep your Aviattic Lozenge far away from sunlight
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 03:39:14 AM »
Thanks for the warning!
I think the same is valid for the flexible rigging lines.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 04:18:22 AM »
Thanks for the warning. My cases are not near a window and do not have internal lights. One wonders if cases with lighting would be a risk to the decals.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 07:01:42 AM »
I remember a 1/28 Revell Fokker D.VII that was displayed in a model shop window. Eventually the lozenge on the top wings crazed and then began to peel itself off. Sunlight and decals are not good friends.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »
Thank you Jeroen, I have several (four?) Aviattic-decalled projects but for once our small house's lack of display space has proved a blessing! I will have to remember that as I still have other kits I'd love to do with their products.

Offline Berman

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
This is most likely caused by the Sun's ultra violet rays. Fluorescent tubes also produce ultra violet. The safest option would be to light your display case with LED's.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 09:31:49 AM »
As a courtesy I contacted Richard Andrews of Aviattic to alert him to this thread and invite him to comment on the topic. Richard is a registered forum member with full posting rights.

However he has replied and stated very clearly and firmly that he has no wish to discuss Aviattic matters on the Forum.

On that basis I suggest this thread has gone as far as it can. Those who wish to discuss the matter directly with Aviattic will need to contact them as there will clearly be no response on the Forum.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 01:15:10 PM »
Hi guys...nothing to do with Aviattic decals, but I have some older decals
for a Pfalz that where the white has yellowed somewhat.  I have read over
time that using the Sun's rays to bring back the white, and am wondering
what the thinking is these days about that sort of thing.  Thanks all!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 11:29:08 PM »
I do agree that putting models in direct sunlight is not very advisable, but there is no real alternative for me except to put them in storage and not be able to look at them occasionally ;)

I think the same is valid for the flexible rigging lines.
I haven't used those very often, but on the exact same Albatros I did. They are, so far, still intact... :fingerscrossed: But nonetheless I've put those lozenge/flexible rigging models in the darkest corners of my cabinet...

Thanks for the warning. My cases are not near a window and do not have internal lights. One wonders if cases with lighting would be a risk to the decals.
Probably the best solotion for long term display -I'm envious!

Sunlight and decals are not good friends.
Definately true, also paints and the plastic itself may react to it as well, though I'm no chemist... It's interesting that some of my old models have no issues at all (like a Tamiya 1/48 Wildcat I built when they were just coming out!) and others, like the Albatros, react so quickly...
Best would be to avoid direct light if possible. :)

Thank you Jeroen, I have several (four?) Aviattic-decalled projects but for once our small house's lack of display space has proved a blessing! I will have to remember that as I still have other kits I'd love to do with their products.
There's always and upside to a downside  ;D My smallish house has the disadvantage that the only display area I have is exposed to the sun for a certain time of the day, depending on season, too.. :(

This is most likely caused by the Sun's ultra violet rays. Fluorescent tubes also produce ultra violet. The safest option would be to light your display case with LED's.
Thanks! :)

However he has replied and stated very clearly and firmly that he has no wish to discuss Aviattic matters on the Forum.
It was not my intention to critisize Aviattic lozenge, I've used them, and will use them again. I just need to find a way to display those models to keep the colours vibrant. Without going into it too deeply I have to say it's an interesting response not to respond. However, I'll use what I have as I like them anyway.

Hi guys...nothing to do with Aviattic decals, but I have some older decals
for a Pfalz that where the white has yellowed somewhat.  I have read over
time that using the Sun's rays to bring back the white, and am wondering
what the thinking is these days about that sort of thing.  Thanks all!
Ernie :)
I've done that in the past as well, but with mixed results: the whites came out nicely, but the yellows and reds faded! I also had carrier crack/break so I needed to brush the Microcoat-stuff on them to prevent them from falling apart.
I've also been dumb enough to just tape them to the window without realizing windows get moist/wet with condensation sometimes.... (oops) So now I put them in zip lock bags.
By now I try to replace such decals when possible, but sometimes there are no other options... You could try cutting up some parts you don't need and give it a go :)

Jeroen

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
Thanks Jeroen, your advice is much appreciated. :)

Cheers,
Ernie
The new old guy, take two...

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
YW, better to learn from my mistakes  ;D

Jeroen

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 05:48:49 AM »
You've brought up an excellent point, Jeroen. I'm lucky to have all my models on display out of the sunlight, which I know would affect decals and paint and possibly even the EZ-Line rigging according to respondents here.

My wife used to own a shop which sold stained glass decorations which she hung in the window. The fishing line she used to hang them with deteriorated quickly in the sunlight, and became brittle, sometimes breaking and as a result dropping the items on display.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 07:31:38 PM »
Thanks Gary -better to keep all of them away from the sun!
Currently looking into making some of those display cases as Mike Norris uses to put 2-3 models in to keep them out of the sun, and put the rest in closed storage boxes.
Can't view at all the models at the same time them, but they should be less dusty, and also easier to keep out of the sun.
I'd hate to see my 1/32 WNW D.VII go the same way as my 1/72 D.VII and Alb D.Va...

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 09:55:52 PM »
Hey Ernie,
               I do still occasionally put old decals in a zip log bag and tape them to a window with afternoon sun light exposure. It does bleach out the yellowed carrier film and doesn't affect the coloured portions . Normally a couple of days does the trick. I suspect this same process is what affects the Aviattic products. Ink differences may also be part of it.

Steve   

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 09:57:08 PM »
I’m relatively new in the hobby and has a question: what kind of duration of exposure are we talking about here? Months, years or decades of sun exposure? Not that it matters much (better let them rest in the shade no matter what?), just curious.