Author Topic: Airbrush recommendations  (Read 12258 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Airbrush recommendations
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 09:24:37 PM »
Whatever Brand or model airbrush you decide on, treat it like a delicate fine instrument. Carefully disassemble and clean after each use and even the less expensive one's will give you less headaches.

I couldn't agree more.
Keep the old girl clean and she will last forever and a day.  ;)

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
Very wise advice from Bo. I always wear a good quality two cartridge chemical respirator whenever spraying, especially lacquer. As I said earlier, I have been using my air brush for three years and have never dismantled it, there has not been a need. After each spraying session I run lacquer thinners through the gun making sure I do at least half a dozen blow backs, doing this cleans the gun beautifully, I also dampen a cloth with lacquer thinners and wipe the outside of the gun, keeps it in like new condition. I don't have the luxury of an exhaust system and spray booth, so I do all my spraying in my garage, keeps all the nasty fumes out of the house.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 12:06:07 AM »
Very wise advice from Bo. I always wear a good quality two cartridge chemical respirator whenever spraying, especially lacquer. As I said earlier, I have been using my air brush for three years and have never dismantled it, there has not been a need. After each spraying session I run lacquer thinners through the gun making sure I do at least half a dozen blow backs, doing this cleans the gun beautifully, I also dampen a cloth with lacquer thinners and wipe the outside of the gun, keeps it in like new condition. I don't have the luxury of an exhaust system and spray booth, so I do all my spraying in my garage, keeps all the nasty fumes out of the house.

Des.

Des,
   I pop the needle out and clean it along with running Laquer thinner through it with and without the needle installed. Time consuming compared to your technique but what/how is a "blow back"?
Cheers,
 Lance

Dekenba

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 12:22:14 AM »
I've got a six airbrush boxed set, bought from EBay for around £80.

They are Chinese made generic types, but they offer a great choice of spray sizes and cup sizes and are amazing value for money.

I'd recommend investing in some Iwata super lub - really makes the airbrush action and trigger very smooth, I certainly noticed a difference.

By the way, can't believe Des has only been modelling for 3 years - amazing!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »

Des.

Des,
   I pop the needle out and clean it along with running Laquer thinner through it with and without the needle installed. Time consuming compared to your technique but what/how is a "blow back"?
Cheers,
 Lance

Holding your finger over the nozzle, to force the air pressure back through the venturi and out the paint cup.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 01:13:43 AM »
Mini tip:
When stripping the gun for cleaning purposes, remove the aircap and nozzle and then pull the needle out via the front of the airbrush. This helps reduce paint build up towards the rear of the chamber.
Clean nozzle and aircap with desired cleaner with the help of inter-dental brushes. Works a charm!

Von Buckle  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:00:53 AM »
Here's sort of a photo essay of my airbrush workflow. Hopefully of use to new guys, certainly not the only way to do things, or even the best, but it works for me.

I have a dedicated table for mixing paint and cleanup. The top is glass (used to use it as a palette for oil painting -- as on canvas). Makes it impervious to spills.

Safety equipment: chemical rated respirator; i keep it sealed in a plastic baggie when not use. Nitrile gloves are not 100% impervious to lacquer thinner, but they help keep the stuff off your skin. When the lacquer thinner containers are open, the mask goes on. While on the subject, remember to not have open beverages or food around when you are working with volatile poisons like lacquer thinner -- they get absorbed and you end up consuming them. Same goes for cigarettes, but if you smoke, you've made your own deal with the devil...

The Paasche VL can accept a variety of cups and jars, and it is handy to have an assortment. I keep the large glass jar filled with lacquer thinner, and the small jar filled with Windex. You can fairly easily make your own containers too; the thing will suck from the bottom of a two liter soda bottle if give it a long enough straw... The metal cups I use for paint -- only if the quantity warrants it, otherwise I just squirt a couple drops into the receiver. The large can ("Postcards") is an airtight slop wash filled with LT. The bottom has a cage made of hardware cloth to allow the sediment to settle, like the thing in the foreground. A smaller can made from an old aluminum tomato juice container with holes poked into and a wire handle serves as a parts baskets. Mostly I use this for cleaning the metal cups.

I mix paint for spraying into these little plastic sealable jars that I get for about $2/dozen at the art supply store. I mostly spray Tamiya acrylics mixed with Tamiya thinner; these cups are impervious to that, but stronger solvents like LT will attack them. In that case glass jars are the best bet. The little battery-powered paint mixer is a huge time saver; these paints separate virtually instantly so they need to be well stirred before decanting. Portioning paint and thinner is accomplished with the 'disposable' pipettes, which are actually quite reusable. I start with a 50:50 mixture and adjust from there to get a nice 'skim milk' viscosity for spraying. The glass garlic jar contains LT which I use for cleaning the pipettes. If the color is a mixture, I mark the lid noting the colors and the ratio. Otherwise I assume I can tell by looking at it what it is :-)

This is my paint station, 30" booth. Not cheap really, but nicely made and does the job. Vents out the window with clothes dryer ducts. Must remember to open window before turning it on!

A spray booth is not essential. You can spray in a well ventilated room that you can close off from living quarters or out in the garage. Some people even do this outdoors, but wind and temperature need to be favorable. Keep in mind that paints spray differently depending on humidity and temperature -- if you can control these to some extent, your life will be easier.

My airbrush cleaning regimen. I prefer to take my airbrush apart as few times as possible, both to save time and to save wear and tear. Every time you torque a threaded fastener is a tick of the life clock, as anyone who has been around racing cars or airplane engines knows. I also prefer to consume as little solvent as possible, for obvious reasons. Therefore I spray LT through into the cleaning jar till it runs clear, then I simply put it away. It is not surgically clean -- there will still be a thin film of paint inside the nozzle and on the needle. Next time I use it, I soak the front portion of the airbrush in LT for say five minutes before using it, and it will run perfectly.

Your mileage may vary, but that's what I do...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:55:57 AM by Bo Monroe »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »
Thanks Bo for answering the question Lance asked.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 10:28:55 AM »
Des,

this is a very useful, informative and detailed thread, can it be made a sticky for future reference?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »
Thanks Bo!
    As Andrew said, very interesting Thread.  I've got to get busy and get more serious about a safe work environment starting with some form of spray booth. Also, thanks for the quick answer and ideas on cleaning and maintenance.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »
Great informative and helpful post Bo!  Thanks. 

BTW, what do you use the minced garlic for? ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »
Great informative and helpful post Bo!  Thanks. 

BTW, what do you use the minced garlic for? ;)

Regards,

Bob

It's great sautéed with olive oil, onions and fresh spinach. Fresh is better of course... Oh wait, wrong forum...

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
Excellent tutorial, Bo. That'll be really useful. Thanks for going through the trouble of posting that.

Lindsay

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »
Excellent tutorial, Bo. That'll be really useful. Thanks for going through the trouble of posting that.

Lindsay

I am glad you found it useful. Besides the initial expense, it seems most people are put off by the maintenance. My point is that it can actually be pretty easy. And of course it is critical to work safely.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »
Quick question Bo. I use a Paasche H - real basic, when youre cleaning the VL in laq thinner arent there teflon or rubber seals behind the head assembly that would be ruined if youre soaking the whole front of the airbrush?

Steve