Author Topic: Airbrush recommendations  (Read 12207 times)

Kai

Re: Airbrush recommendations
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2015, 02:47:24 AM »
H&S Evolution Silverline Duo is what I've used.

0.2 & 0.4 needles, small & large paint cups, built to last and fully adjustable. Can take solvents without disintegrating, spares relatively inexpensive. Very smooth & reliable, hardly ever gums up - and that's usually my fault for under-thinning the paint.

Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but will last for many years.

I've got a second hand Iawata HP-BH at 0.2mm, so I tend to use that for detail work, with the 0.40mm needle on the H&S.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2015, 05:32:00 AM »
I need a new brush...tired of fighting with the el cheapo's but I'm still looking to fit my budget of about $100.00...give or take...so, would it pretty much be a toss-up, quality-wise, between a Badger 100 and an Iwata Revolution? Both general purpose....0.5 needle and both in that price range with the Iwata just a bit more.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline IvotB

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
I would recommend the Iwata. But it may be a very personal choice. Over the last years I found that a lot of people have their own preferences. I have some 20 years of experience with airbrushes, but I have used only 2. The first was a Badger 150 which lasted about 15 years. After those 15 years it was too old. Then I bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS. I wished I had done that long before. It is much easier to clean and a lot more forgiving on the required thickness of the paint. I liked the Badger, but I didn't have any reference. Now that I have an Iwata I will never buy a Badger again. I also have a Sparmax 0,3mm for the smaller work, which works fine too.

Just some food for thought.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:27:22 PM by IvotB »

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2015, 01:09:49 AM »
Thanks very much, Ivo...pretty succinct testimonial. Iwata it is.                 -M

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2015, 01:39:44 AM »
Great choice Doug. Like Ivo I used an older generation (Paasche) for years (it lasted almost 40 years with only one needle replacement!) and 4 years ago I took the plunge and invested in two Iwatas, An HP-CH and an HP-BH for finer work. They are both excellent products and hopefully will last me the rest of my modelling days.
   Good luck with your new brush!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2015, 03:34:47 AM »
Ditto thanks, Lance...and 40 years with the Paasche?....now there's a testimonial. Might behoove me to check into a Paasche out of curiosity if nothing else. Doubtful such quality has diminished.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2015, 03:41:07 AM »
Ditto thanks, Lance...and 40 years with the Paasche?....now there's a testimonial. Might behoove me to check into a Paasche out of curiosity if nothing else. Doubtful such quality has diminished.

I think it was a "VL-1", very basic/simple design single action. I've since passed it on to my Son who has it in his workshop.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Huxley

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2015, 05:33:29 AM »
Doug, my choice would always be a Harder & Steenbeck. There are 3 types to pick from and in the price range you are talking about the Ultra 2 in 1 would fit the bill. Take a look at their range here
http://www.harder-airbrush.eu/en/home.html

Mike

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2015, 07:28:46 AM »
Yeah I've had a Passche VL (double action, suction) for over forty years as well -- got it as a bday present when I was in Junior High. I too have only replaced the needle and capsule once. Used it for work and hobby constantly over that time. I still use it.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2015, 03:35:42 AM »
Thanks, gents, for your quite expert input...good stuff...looks like I couldn't go wrong with any of your recommendations...choices, choices. And they're all carried by TCP Global with free shipping.