Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Camel N6377  (Read 6170 times)

Bughunter

Re: Eduard 1/48 Camel N6377
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2021, 01:36:51 AM »
I'm sure all the pins are broken off from your fuselage sides.
The problem is, that the fuselage outside touches the packaging foil, so the pins cannot survive the transport.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FAf

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 01:49:34 AM »
I'm not so sure, but I can't explain why yours look the way it does either... All of my hatches look like this example image from Eduards own site...

/Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2021, 02:00:58 AM »
In a vain effort to compete with Frank about who completes his Camel first, I've been toiling away at the desk as the year nears its end. My real goal, apart from beating Frank to the finish line, is to have it done before my model club meeting on 2. January. The competition with Frank is somewhat unfair to him as he didn't know about it and the fact that I started my build a lot earlier  ::) :D. But, on the other hand, it's still unlikely that I'll win it.

It really is a nice model and the details are fantastic. These inspection windows and their details might look a bit messy here, but bear in mind the magnification... in real life they look great.

N6377 comes with a lot of different colours in different places. I think it's quite fun painting schemes like these. First time I'm painting something in PC12 - or at least I suppose it is, as Eduard only says Mahogany in the paint instructions.

When everything is painted, it's time for masking and more paint - roundels, fin flash, etc. At this point I thought I'd use the kit decals for the serial "N6377" and so I didn't make a mask...

... which turned out to be a mistake as I completely botched the application of the decals.  :-\ My fault probably. I should have waited longer to allow the clear coat to set fully. It led to some sanding, new paint and the making of masks for the serials... It came out ok, I think.

Waiting a bit longer, lucky I didn't start with this decal yestarday, I could apply the rest of the decals without any problems what so ever! Next step is to peel the decals once they've set properly and then it's assembly time probably.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you!
/Fredrik

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2021, 05:52:09 AM »
She's looking great, Fredrik! I always enjoy seeing bits of New Zealand on builds like this.
Zac in NZ

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2021, 07:28:40 AM »
Fredrik,

Very nice.  Definitely following you along your build.

Stuart

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »
Outstanding work on the painting and dealing. This is a really awesome scheme.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »
Love the scheme !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2021, 06:02:17 AM »
Thank you all for your comments - KiwiZac, Stuart, Rick and Alexis! Yes, isn't it a fantastic scheme?!

It's Tuesday evening here in Sweden and I've got four more days until the next (fingers crossed there will be no lockdowns or restrictions...) model club meeting and the showing of models built for the 2021 theme "At sea"... and an RNAS Camel has got to fit into that, don't you think?! Progress has been good and there is a good chance to actually manage this before Sunday noon.   

As always, towards the end, there are lots of separate parts to be finished before assembly and rigging. I didn't buy any upgrades for this Camel, but I had previously bought Eduard's Rotherham pumps set so that was installed on the landing gear. There is an extra leg, so no surgery was needed.

Lots of tape before shading, removed tape after shading and finally everything after an oilwash. Not really happy with the shading, but after the oils it looks good. I didn't put too much of an effort into the photography, so there's a bit of a glare and a bit dark and so on... sorry.

The engine was upgraded with brass tubing for spark plugs and a thin copper wire for leads. The wires should probably not be curled like this, but they are anyway.

Landing gear, upper and lower wings and fuselage. All waiting for a final layer of varnish.

I hope you all can enjoy the last days of this year and that 2022 will be a good new year!
/Fredrik

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2021, 07:20:48 AM »
The Rotherham pumps are exquisite! Definitely an improvement on the moulded part.

I realise I'm probably far too late but one thing I've noticed on TVAL's Clerget-powered Camel replica, the oil staining is quite pronounced. These photos by my Dad were taken in 2004 - five years after being imported into NZ but perhaps a good indicator of what could be done to help make your Camel stand out?
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt1_0010 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt1_0011 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt1_0013c by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2021, 04:26:16 AM »
Wow, The pump mods are awesome! I love the weathering you have done. Really Looking sharp!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »
Excellent paint work and detailing, FAf.  This will look great when assembled.

Bughunter

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2022, 02:49:06 AM »
Fredrik, you made a nice progress! I really like the overview picture with all the painted parts.

My real goal, apart from beating Frank to the finish line, is to have it done before my model club meeting on 2. January. The competition with Frank is somewhat unfair to him as he didn't know about it and the fact that I started my build a lot earlier  ::) :D. But, on the other hand, it's still unlikely that I'll win it.

You will win for sure because I was out of the town for family visits (without models and bench of course!) so no progress on mine.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FAf

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2022, 08:13:30 AM »
Thanks for looking in and commenting guys! Much appreciated!

Well, happy new year! Let's see what 2022 might bring. First out will be this model. It's not done yet as my club meeting tomorrow is cancelled... guess why?! But it's still winter break for another week, so it'll be done in another day or three.

KiwiZac - interesting pictures... I did revisit the underside with a bit more weathering, but not as much as that. Thanks for posting them anyway.

Cheers!
/Fredrik

Offline DaveB

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2022, 03:57:17 AM »
What lovely progress on your Camel, Fredrik -

Love your chosen colour scheme!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2022, 06:32:14 AM »
KiwiZac - interesting pictures... I did revisit the underside with a bit more weathering, but not as much as that. Thanks for posting them anyway.
Not a problem, it's interesting to see the real-world effects of rotary engine operation and how to meet the challenge of replicating them.
Zac in NZ