Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Camel N6377  (Read 6169 times)

Offline FAf

Eduard 1/48 Camel N6377
« on: November 16, 2021, 05:26:23 AM »
A new build... or actually a couple of days old by now. The build is underway, but today you only get inital pictures. The kit is from Eduards new tool limited edition boxing. The one with the Biggles machines in it.

I have to say that I probably owe quite a lot of my modelling interest to my fathers Biggles books. He bought and read them when he was young and I probably picked them up at around the age of 8 or 9 and then kept on reading them for the next four or five years (together with lots of other similar books). Given that, I feel that I will have to build one of the Biggles planes included and I have an idea about a nice book inspired base to place it on as well. When that happens, it'll be this version.

This time, due to a club challenge expiring just after new years, it'll be Harold Beamish N6377 instead.

First impressions are very good so far... It's going to be an essentially out of the box build. No Brassin additions, even though Eduard have some fantastic items in that range. That might be something for the next one. I've painted the interiors and assembled some subsections and everything's now been given a clear coat before some washes and wood imitations. There will be some pictures once that happens.

Lastly, a picture of the contents.

/F

Online RAGIII

Re: Eduard 1/48 Camel N6377
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 08:19:33 AM »
This Looks to be an Excellent Kit and I am Really Looking forward to your Build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
This Looks to be an Excellent Kit and I am Really Looking forward to your Build!
RAGIII

As am I.  Looking forward to following along.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 09:47:05 PM »
My packages arrived last Saturday ;D
Wow, what a kit!
I think about to use option D, but I think not oob 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Von Salza

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 12:40:31 AM »
I saw an excellent paint job made with this kit in the Eduard November online magazine.
Good luck with Your project.

Offline FAf

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 05:41:48 AM »
RAGIII

As am I.  Looking forward to following along.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Welcome aboard Rick and Ernie - I economised a bit by quoting Ernies reply with him quoting Rick, an effort completely spoilt by this explanation... :D
Anyway, I'm very happy to have you tagging along. It is a lovely kit and it seems to be very precise and easy to build in that sense, but then most Eduard kits are nowadays.

My packages arrived last Saturday ;D
Wow, what a kit!
I think about to use option D, but I think not oob 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Well, we would all be very surprised if you built one OOB! I'm sure you can improve the kit offerings, but I'm not really at your level and this time I'm planning on a straight forward out of the box build, except for rigging and painting the markings of course. It has to be done by January 6 or so...

I saw an excellent paint job made with this kit in the Eduard November online magazine.
Good luck with Your project.

Thank you von Salza! There always seems to be an element of luck somewhere in a build.

So if I only offered poor pictures yesterday, there are some real photos of the build on offering today.
I started with some basic painting - linen, brown, aluminium - and then building sections of the kit that could be assembled without complicating later work. Everythings ahs been given a clear coat, which makes it more difficult to photograph.

First the basic fuselage sides - inside and outside. Then a bit of a dark wash to emphasize the internal structure and some oil paint on the outside to simulate the wood - even more difficult to capture on camera.

I suppose that very little will be seen of the cockpit area once the fuselage is closed and the wings are on, but I added a few pipes from wire and did a bit of detail painting.

The seat is a bent piece of PE that has to match the seat bottom as well as the leather coaming, both plastic parts - not the easiest of operations, but it looks good. The whole thing will get a wash to lift some details and a matt varnish later.

Supposedly a Bentley engine made from kit parts - except for the pushrods which are wire. It will obviously benefit from a wash to lift some of the details.

Instrument panel and induction pipes. Eduard's pre-coloured PE, which is quite fine I think. I'll use this build to see what really could benefit from being replaced, but I guess that the engine is a better thing to exchange for a Brassin version than the IP.

I was contemplating adding the controlwires from the rudderbar and the control column, but then had an attack of laziness. I can still change my mind, but I'm wondering if they'll be at all visible?!

Next up: adding internal bracing wires and start putting things together.
/Fredrik

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 07:16:22 AM »
Nice start with internal work. The new Camel looks wonderful, looking forward to next details.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Von Salza

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 07:50:27 AM »
but then had an attack of laziness. I can still change my mind, but I'm wondering if they'll be at all visible?!

They won't, but do what will make You a pleasure.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 07:02:46 PM »
Your off to a good start, Fredrik -

I'm really interested to see how this one comes out

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 12:17:22 AM »
Outstanding work on the interior and wood effects Fredrik! I Look forward to More  8)
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 06:36:02 AM »
That is a nice progress Fredrik!

Your PE panel looks nice, on my kit the black frames seems to be printed off center :-[
But I wanted to try anyway one panel of the Eduard Löök series and now I have the chance ;)

And yes, I noticed your brass filler caps!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FAf

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 05:37:42 AM »
but then had an attack of laziness. I can still change my mind, but I'm wondering if they'll be at all visible?!

They won't, but do what will make You a pleasure.

Damn you, von Salza, and thanks to the rest of you for looking in...  ;D ;D ;D

No, seriously, thank you, von Salza! Of course one should do what one feels like, it's just a hobby... at the same time, being lazy might not give you the satisfaction you're after and I know I tend to take shortcuts at the beginning of builds, that I come to regret later. So... I added the wires! They are at least visible now! ::)

That is a nice progress Fredrik!

Your PE panel looks nice, on my kit the black frames seems to be printed off center :-[
But I wanted to try anyway one panel of the Eduard Löök series and now I have the chance ;)

And yes, I noticed your brass filler caps!

Cheers,
Frank

That's looking at the bright side! :) It'll be interesting to se how much you'll see of it. Maybe I'll get a Löök IP for the next Camel?!

And the filler caps... so far only paint. I think I'll try and fashion something that adds a bit of structure there.

Wires!
So, I got the rudder bar off again and drilled a few holes in it, as well a hole through the joystick. Added an appropriate number of lines (still a bit lazy and skipped one if you look at the WnW rigging diagram) and routed them through a scratched piece of plastic. It looks ok and I'm counting on the chair and petrol tank to hide parts of it. Although I'm probably going to give the white piece of plastic some wood colour.

Nothing else has really happened as I've been waiting for the oils to dry. Next time though...
/Fredrik

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 06:36:03 AM »
Excellent work on the wires for the controls Fredrik! I found them difficult enough in 1/32nd  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 08:28:32 AM »
Will enjoying following this build . Already it s off to a fantastic start with the pit details !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »
A great start! I'm keen to follow along - although I'm a 32nd guy for WW1 I'm very intrigued by this kit.
Zac in NZ