Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Salmson 2-A2  (Read 11764 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: 1:32nd scale Salmson 2-A2
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2022, 06:31:10 AM »
Hi all,
At last the rigging is complete.
I've added the side bracing wires from the fuselage to the underside of the upper wing.
Also the upper and lower drag wires from the engine bearer frame to the underside of the upper wing and leading edge of the lower wings.
The flying, landing and fin bracing wire infills have also been painted with the same colour as the undersides of the wings and fuselage.
I chose CDL as it's difficult to know if these infills were CDL or blue (as for the rigging wires).
My assumption is that blue would has stood out too much against the camouflage surfaces, so I opted for CDL.

So now it's onto the four wireless wires from the cabane struts to the underside of the upper wing.
Also the fuel tank vent pipe,

Mike

« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 08:35:05 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2022, 07:09:36 AM »
Just beautiful
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2022, 08:59:36 AM »
Awesome work as always Mike!

Your attention to detail and patience is to be admired.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2022, 09:36:40 AM »
Hi all,
I've added the vent pipe from the fuel tank, using 0.4 mm diameter black tube from 'MFH'.
Also the four wireless wires, made from annealed and twisted 0.2 mm diameter copper wire.

Now onto the front end parts,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2022, 05:18:04 AM »
She looks exquisite, Mike, and those extra details in your most recent post really set it off.
Zac in NZ

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2022, 05:30:45 AM »
Hi all,
I've now added the pilot's Vickers machine gu ('GasPatch replacement), gun sight, ring site, mirror and coolant header tank.
Also the wind driven pump/generator, with pipe from 0.4 mm diameter black tube from 'MFH'.

Just the ailerons and control cables wind screens and observers weapons to add, then it's onto the figures,

Mike

Online RAGIII

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2022, 09:30:15 AM »
Stunning rigging work Mike. This could be the Best of all you have done...and like I said earlier that is saying a lot!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2022, 03:22:09 AM »
I agree. Amazing detail.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2022, 04:34:14 AM »
Hi all,
The aileron control cables have been added.
The mono-filament used is 0.08 mm diameter and is left clear.
Although the structural rigging was painted blue, the control cables were left unpainted.
I assume this was due to the cables being regularly adjusted and maintained.

Now onto the observers weapons,

Mike

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2022, 05:43:30 AM »
Just beautiful work Mike, truly beautiful! The aftermarket bits and your own added detail really make this special.

Another newbie question about the blue rigging and control horns: was this explicitly a Salmson trait, or one common to other French types of the period?
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2022, 06:00:45 AM »
More excellence Mike!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2022, 07:07:53 AM »
Just beautiful work Mike, truly beautiful! The aftermarket bits and your own added detail really make this special.

Another newbie question about the blue rigging and control horns: was this explicitly a Salmson trait, or one common to other French types of the period?

Hi Zac,
Certainly some French aircraft had blue painted structural rigging, like this Salmson and others, such as Caudron and Nieuport.
How widespread this was across French aircraft manufacturers and how long it continued is debatable.
As with this time period, predominately black and white photographs and the type of film used, make it difficult for mere modelers to determine exact colours.
Unless it is specified by better and more accurate research, it can be down to guesswork.
Bleu de France (Blue of France) is a colour traditionally used to represent France.
Blue has been used in the heraldry of the French monarchy since at least the 12th century, with the golden fleurs-de-lis of the kings always set on a blue (heraldic "azure") background.
A brighter version, based on the blue of the French Tricolour, is used in modern times, particularly in a sporting context.
French national teams in all sports will normally use blue as their main colour.
Also, Blue is France's national racing colour and several French motorsport teams have used it,

Mike

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:39:44 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2022, 09:00:12 AM »
Hi all,
The observers twin Lewis machine guns assembly is now done.
I replaced the kit supplied weapons with 'GasPatch' weapons.
This required modifying the kit supplied gun mounting and adding both the cross bracing between the gun handles and the spreader bar between the breach blocks.
The gun mount spindle is 0.4 mm diameter tube located through holes drilled in the gun mounting lugs.
The cross bracing is 'EZ' line (heavy) routed through 0.3 mm diameter holes drilled diagonally the the ends of the handles.
The twin bungee lift cords around the gun support tube are also 'EZ' line routed through 0.4 mm diameter holes drilled through both sides of the tube pivots at the base ring.

Just the two windscreens to go and the model itself is complete.
Then it's onto the figures,

Mike

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:28:10 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2022, 01:36:23 AM »
The Machine guns and Mount look amazing Mike!
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2022, 03:40:17 AM »
The guns and mount look exquisite, lovely work!

Hi Zac,
Certainly some French aircraft had blue painted structural rigging, like this Salmson and others, such as Caudron and Nieuport.
How widespread this was across French aircraft manufacturers and how long it continued is debatable.
As with this time period, predominately black and white photographs and the type of film used, make it difficult for mere modelers to determine exact colours.
Unless it is specified by better and more accurate research, it can be down to guesswork,

Mike
Thanks Mike. As I said earlier, until this build I had never heard of blue rigging so you're giving me quite an education!
Zac in NZ