Author Topic: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 22.11.21 Finish  (Read 18133 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 12.11.21 Aluminium added
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2021, 06:19:38 AM »
Lost for words on the amazing quality of your work on the metal cowling and wood tailskid ............

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2021, 06:53:07 AM »
I too have been away and in the meantime more of your magic has been posted. I still find it difficult to grasp just how small many of these parts are - which make them all the more incredible.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2021, 04:51:25 AM »
Thank you Ken, Alan, Lance, Andreas, Giuseppe, Dave and Stephen for your more then kind words!

I notice another type of fuel you use is beer, the bottle top gives it away.
Yes Alan, but I drink in moderation, not every day.

I would agree that the two bands are white and red judging by the surrounding colours which we know. Red is of course dark in B&W and the lighter band is so light it could be missed.
Thank you for the confirmation!

I will try and copy what you did with the axle.
.. which is mounted now with suspension on the undercarriage :)

You take this concept to the ultimate level

Without just a gleam of a doubt it will be a Bf-109. come on, be honest to us, you know it and I know it…   ;D
You can tease all you want, it's not going to happen.
I have to admit I have a 109 kit in my stash, but it's a rare Royal kit for investment only, not for building. 8)

I still find it difficult to grasp just how small many of these parts are
Not only the parts Stephen, the whole bird is small. If I remember I will a picture on my hand the next days.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2021, 08:59:22 PM »
Outstanding Frank! This looks so beautiful. As you mentioned, I think the colors are red and white as the flag of the k.u.k. Luftfahrttruppen used to be.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Bughunter

Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 15.11.21 Filler caps
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2021, 04:56:56 AM »
Thank you for the confirmation Manni!

Filler caps

After painting the axle I mounted it with the suspension to the undercarriage.

Now the bird can really stand on his wheels for test, the "rubber lines" can hold it.

I finalized the length of the outer struts, ...

... tinned and primed them, ...

... and painted dark grey.

I wanted to mount the wing, but it is always a good idea to check the references again. And yes, I discovered more forgotten details!

So I made two filler caps from brass.

This makes sense, as I added there the fuel tank. The second one seems to a the oil cap.

Another detail I noticed was a rope around the upper part of the cowling, starting in cut outs I already made before.
On the model it is a 0.15mm wire, hold by two Gaspatch anchor points. I hope you see it!

Since the wing is already lying flat, I glued on a lacing right away. Here I used a piece of Eduard 1/72 lacing PE, which I bend to the shape of the engraving in the wing.

And finally I painted the bands on the airscrew. I primed a light coat of white before, but the read comes out darker as I wanted. For the white I used "Insignia white" which is a off white, but looks very bright in real. The Jaray logos are also applied.
I think I will add a layer of clear coat.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ColonelKrypton

Re: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 15.11.21 Filler caps
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2021, 05:08:11 AM »
Frank,

Bravo, it just keeps getting better and better.  I don't know how you will do better on your next project but I am sure you will find a way.

cheers, Graham

Offline FAf

« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2021, 05:30:44 AM »
Just beautiful! The only problem is of course that you keep upping our expectations...  :D

I was just looking at the filler caps, or rather the stumps where they should have been, on my Camel, wondering how to better the details. Your caps are just gorgeous!

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2021, 05:34:39 AM »
More magnificent modelling from the master...!

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2021, 09:43:26 PM »
Thank you Graham, Fredrik and Stephen!

I don't know how you will do better on your next project but I am sure you will find a way.
;D Sometimes I try to build out of the box, but I often fail to do so.

I was just looking at the filler caps, or rather the stumps where they should have been, on my Camel, wondering how to better the details. Your caps are just gorgeous!
That idea is stolen from many other of my projects. On one of my first planes, the Fokker E.V there was a oversized PE so this forced my to do new ones. So also many of the others later wants to have the brass too.

In mean time I got the answer regarding the bands:
- white band means that the factory is the owner, only for test flights. To be changes before delivery.
- red band means experimental one, not to used in series production

Both makes sense, as this was a prototype only, equipped with a new engine type.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2021, 02:05:41 AM »
Gorgeous details.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2021, 02:35:51 AM »
Simply Stunning Frank! The colored bands do indeed make sense.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2021, 01:01:07 PM »
The cowling and filler caps are absolutely sublime Frank. I am
running out of adjectives seeing your talents.  Such a pleasure
to follow this build.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Borsos

« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2021, 06:58:24 PM »

I have to admit I have a 109 kit in my stash, …

I Got ya!  ;D
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »
What you show here, Frank, is amazing. I am especially in awe with your metal work, starting from the machined alu sheets ending with the replacement struts. Just great!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Bughunter

Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 17.11.21 Rigging
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2021, 06:10:37 AM »
It is always a pleasure to read your wonderful comments Giuseppe, Rick, Ernie, Andreas and Przemek! Thanks!

Rigging

As during the last update I wanted to mount the wing - but stop: There was also a windshield!
I had to guess the shape because it was visible only in the side view. The drawing do not show it. So I cut a thing piece of clear foil, bent it in shape with heat and glued it in place with CA.

A very small stripe cut from a PE frame has to act as frame to improve the adhesion, as the glue is not very strong on the foil and aluminium.
Unfortunately, some of the CA fume settled on the windscreen, but it was also on the real picture not very clean.

But then I mounted the wing and started to do the rigging with Gaspatch turnbuckles type C, anchor points and wire loops.

The rigging of the inner struts was more tricky.

I found no confirmation in my references, but in my eyes it makes sense and I added a aluminium panel to the lower surface, up to the point where the side panels ends.
In opposite to that the cross on the back of the undercarriage is visible on the side picture of the real one.

There is also a cross in the front of the undercarriage. Both crosses uses Gaspatch turnbuckles type One End.

These are photos from below, so I'll also show the open construction of the side panels. You can see the cylinders of the engine with the naked eye. So oil and cooling air can go out on the back and lower side.

On the back side of the airscrew you can see the bolt heads on the hub.

On the front I added 0.2mm bolts.

In case anyone was wondering about the high-legged undercarriage: this picture clearly shows why it was necessary. The powerful 11-cylinder with its 160 hp needed a large airscrew to get this power into the air.

I straightened the warped wing at the beginning with hot water, but it had bent again a bit and left the outer wings hanging. So I had adjusted the outer struts to push the wing up. Inserting the struts was not so easy.
But now I am super happy with the result!

So that is the actual state. I used some grey ground to show the rigging.

Another important steps done.

Cheers,
Frank