Author Topic: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 22.11.21 Finish  (Read 18427 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 8.11.21 Aluminium
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2021, 02:52:07 AM »
Fascinating work as usual. You are preparing yourself for another Austrian Gold medal, don’t you?  ;)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

Re: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 8.11.21 Aluminium
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2021, 01:11:04 AM »
Thank you Stephen, Fredrik, Graham, Rick and Andreas for taking your time to answer!

Your detailing in metal takes this model to a completely different level.
That is also what I've heard recently in Austria "What, you're taking part in the contest? That's unfair! You belong in a category of your own!" 8)

At some point I would like to get my self a lathe...
Fredrik, feel free - but be very careful! That is a really a dangerous tool and can create strong forces.

I had spent about 20 minutes reviewing the pictures and your description in order to take it all in.
Graham, I think I need longer to take pictures, do the image processing, uploading and writing the description.
Thank you for appreciating it so much!

You are preparing yourself for another Austrian Gold medal, don’t you?  ;)
Hmm. I think I would use next time the Sopwith Triplane (or CSM Dolpin?) and the Halberstadt ???

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 10.11.21 Tailskid
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2021, 03:48:40 AM »
Tailskid

May be you have noticed in the last updates some little holes in the side panels. Here are the intake pipes missing. They have a special shape, so I failed to bend them using brass and copper tubes, even with using heat.
A friend gave me some leftover gold-plated electronic parts a long time ago with the words "As a model builder, you might be able to use them someday."
Someday was now and below the gold was brass. After the modification I tinned them.

The holes in the panels are now big enough and the intakes have used color by chemical browned.

I wanted to mount the aluminium parts, but the work on the tail is easier with the model on the nose so the tail skid first.

Aviatik used some special construction covered with thin wood, as shown on rcuniverse.com.

I made this as wooden block from a piece of cherry wood, but my first try was to flat (the left one), so a second try. The skid are two layers of veneer, with additional two layers on the end.

Again some metal work. The rod is 0.6mm nickel silver, a tinned brass piece, an U-shape made form 0.1mm nickel silver (PE fret leftover by CSM) and a 0.33mm rod through the skid.

Theoretically it could steer, but I use the rod for secure mounting and glue it into a hole of the fuselage.

Dry fitting.

After some wood primer I put some small drops and strips of masking fluid and painted the wood dark gray. Masking removed to show a bit of wood - artistic freedom ;)
The size of the kit resin part is not bad ...

.. it is much to flat, as shown here.
My skid is glued in place.

I'm very happy with the outcome. After I saw some pictures and plans of Aviatik planes and a high-res picture of the 30.40 I had to do it.
Now I need to add the suspension. This have to hold the fuselage as the skid rotates under load now.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 10.11.21 Tailskid
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2021, 09:45:10 PM »
This is lovely work Frank
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Bughunter

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2021, 04:53:11 AM »
Thank you Alan!
The tailskid is now also equipped with the suspension, which I will show in the next update.

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2021, 08:31:01 AM »
Astonishing work as always on the tail skid FRank!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 12.11.21 Aluminium added
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2021, 03:52:16 AM »
Thanks Rick!

Aluminium

As mentioned the suspension of the tailskid was missing.
The mounts are a nickel-silver sheet angles, bolted with rod. The "rubber" is hold by a rod, with a sheet soldered on top. The rubber lines itself are stretched sprue.

A (not very sharp) view from below.

The model is hold safely now.

Now back to the front!
I mounted the rotary engine. The last missing cutouts on the cowling are done and the cowling protects now the engine. After that the side panels and intakes from the last update are in their final position now.

The top panel was already prepared in a raw shape but now finalized in size and with cutouts for the N-struts.

And also this panel is mounted.

I love to mount all the prepared parts, so I secured also the undercarriage and the N-struts with CA.

As often I drilled holes in PE frets, cut it in pieces, solder it on a strong piano wire and turn identical washers on the lathe. It is always a good idea to make some for the carpet monster.

The washers are soldered on the axle tube.

The cockpit cushion is also painted black leather.
And now with the plugged on axle and airscrew a little teaser: what a lovely little bird!

After painting the axle I can mount it with adding the suspension as next step.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

Re: Aviatik 30.40, 1/48, update 12.11.21 Aluminium added
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2021, 05:57:08 AM »
Oh, Frank! That is just exquisite! Some really intricate and detailed modelling going on with great detail and a real appreciation of the genuine materials used... I am in awe... Regards, Marc

Online RAGIII

« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2021, 07:05:49 AM »
Oh, Frank! That is just exquisite! Some really intricate and detailed modelling going on with great detail and a real appreciation of the genuine materials used... I am in awe... Regards, Marc

I can't say it any Better so will just Dito Marc!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2021, 11:16:28 PM »
Thank you Marc and Rick, for those wonderful comment! This is the right kind of fuel to keep the thread steaming along 👍
It is important not to lose focus (with the next project in mind), because it is now definitely clear what the next project will be. Bets are accepted! 😉
To make sure I didn't forget anything, I wrote everything down on a ToDo list and ended up with a full A4 sheet!

I have also a question:
There is no front picture of the 30.40, but of the sister 30.27 with same engine, and I guess same airscrew. On the picture of the 30.40 from the back there is a dark band on the back of the airscrew. The front picture of the 30.27 shows this band too outside the cowling and a second one more center.
My color interpretation is red/white as Austrian colors. Anything against this assumption?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2021, 12:02:58 AM »
I've been out of town and just now catching up on things.  Your engine turning treatment of the aluminum parts is very convincing and, as usual, your detailed metal work is superb.  This will be a triumph of engineering and model making!  Bravo!

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2021, 01:26:13 AM »
'This is the right kind of fuel' I notice another type of fuel you use is beer, the bottle top gives it away. I use these alot myself, it is nice to see someone else doing the same. I would agree that the two bands are white and red judging by the surrounding colours which we know. Red is of course dark in B&W and the lighter band is so light it could be missed.
Amazing job so far and I will try and copy what you did with the axle.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2021, 03:05:41 AM »
Frank,
   As usual with your projects, Just absolutely superb work! A really great WWI Modeller once told me "whenever possible use the real materials for your parts and additions". He should know, he is a former "Michael Fitz Award" winner at the US Nationals! You take this concept to the ultimate level, it's a pleasure and education to follow your progress.
Regards,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2021, 03:10:10 AM »
Thank you Marc and Rick, for those wonderful comment! This is the right kind of fuel to keep the thread steaming along 👍
It is important not to lose focus (with the next project in mind), because it is now definitely clear what the next project will be. Bets are accepted! 😉

Without just a gleam of a doubt it will be a Bf-109. come on, be honest to us, you know it and I know it…   ;D
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2021, 05:24:42 AM »
Outstanding metal and wood works, ever surprising.
Ciao
Giuseppe