Author Topic: kotare models  (Read 5796 times)

Offline JCWILDE

kotare models
« on: August 17, 2021, 04:29:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

saw this exciting news today, there's a new model company in NZ releasing soon some 1/32 aircraft by some familiar faces.

www.kotare-models.com

The sleeper has awaken...

Kind regards

Jason
"I am an Australian and I don't have any manners." - Lt Colonel Oswald Watt.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: kotare models
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 04:40:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing!!
This is brilliant news  :o

From the ashes...

Happy days!

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 04:44:31 PM »
YES!!!!!

I may be a little naive, but I'm still hoping for the Handley Page O/100 and O/400...

Willem
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:19:08 PM by Rookie »

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 05:11:34 PM »
It would be nice if this has the blessing of Peter Jackson, meaning he might allow them access to all the intellectual property they created but now owned by Miramar. If not they might find it tough to release WWI subjects that might impinge on his copyright.
Great news and, Fingers Crossed!
Sandy

Offline Mark A

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 05:13:58 PM »
Brilliant news!

Can't wait to see what they have planned. :D

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 05:24:35 PM »
Before anyone gets too excited, I understand this new model company, which draws on some of the former Wingnut Wings team, is not a WW1 aircraft kit business.

Richard Alexander is being deliberately vague about what they are doing, as he was when he ran Wingnuts and when I asked him if there would be WW1 kits coming he replied "We're not confirming or denying anything at this time."

When I asked if there were any hints as to what their first 1/32 kit might be he said "No hints sorry."

I asked Richard when we might expect an announcement and the reply was " All in due course. When we're ready."

So the same old secrecy that applied to Wingnuts.

The rumours are that Kotare Models ( Kotare is the NZ Maori name for the Kingfisher bird) may be re-popped Wingnut kits or even the unfinished Wingnuts Lancaster. I am told neither are correct and Sir Peter Jackson is not involved in this venture.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 05:48:28 PM »
Thanks for putting our feet back on the ground Dave, we should all be patient and wait what happens I guess.

It's just the there are so much expectations, and we're all hoping that Kotare will be the WNW phoenix, realistic or not.

Willem

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 05:59:07 PM »

:o :o

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 07:09:25 PM »
It would be nice if this has the blessing of Peter Jackson, meaning he might allow them access to all the intellectual property they created but now owned by Miramar. If not they might find it tough to release WWI subjects that might impinge on his copyright.
Sandy

Really interesting point there!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
Wow amazing news
Appetite whetted!

Well they will have a lot of knowledge and experience from Wingnuts. Whatever they produce from whatever era I’m looking forward to it. Hope they’re  less secretive without Sir PJ -although the annual speculation was always fun.
Anyway there were a few kits we were wanting and now maybe they will come out. The question asked above about PJs blessing is interesting. Things change.

Good news day ;D ;) :)!!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 09:37:59 PM »
Sandy

And what copyright can you have on a Sopwith Camel (for instance)?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Europapete

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »
Just saw this news over on LSP. AWESOME!!!!!!! Best wishes and I hope all goes well!

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 02:22:09 AM »
It's always great to see a new company emerge! It remains to be seen if it involves any of the WNW ex-projects  - and indeed may not at all! But don't forget that the Kotare crowd have lots of experience in developing projects in China etc.... Lovely to see the South African connection - Darryl Legg is a superb aviation artist - his research and skill is top notch - style will be very different to the previous box tops though! Regards, Marc.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
Sandy

Richard

Interesting point. If the subject is out there and well mapped. And there can only be finite amount of ways you can put it together in kit form. Plus those designers will all have it stuck in their heads…?

Once again it would be interesting to know what PJ’s take on it is. Is he sensitive and protective of Wingnuts IP? Does he want to share his toys? Does he care? That we will never know.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:15:04 PM by Pup7309 »

Offline macsporran

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »
Sandy

Richard

The copyright is not on the Sopwith Camel obviously, it is on the IP associated with the WNW model - the shared info from the Vintage Aviator, the research carried out and paid for by WNW, the CAD/CAM work, the mould design and refinement, etc.
Sandy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:34:06 PM by macsporran »