Author Topic: Updates 'Lukgraph' 1:32nd scale Albatros C.III  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline loopyloop

Re: Updates 'Lukgraph' 1:32nd scale Albatros C.III
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 11:39:03 PM »
Looks soo tempting, now I wonder how much?

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 12:06:57 AM »
Mike,

Do you know if this will be a resin kit?

Thnaks,
Mike

Online James

Updates 'Lukgraph' 1:32nd scale Albatros C.III
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 12:29:03 AM »
I would guess it is a resin kit, just like their Friedrichshafen FF.33L

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 02:28:29 AM »
Definitely resin and 3D printed kit.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 08:36:53 AM »
Hi, I guess these won’t ever make it to injection moulding? Never worked with resin but if it’s the only option will give it a go  ;)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 08:08:05 PM »
Hi, I guess these won’t ever make it to injection moulding? Never worked with resin but if it’s the only option will give it a go  ;)

Hi Pup7309
Resin kits are not that much different to styrene kits, but you do have to use CA adhesive or maybe two part epoxy.
The parts still need to be removed from their moulding blocks and there maybe more mould flash to clean off.
Also small or thin parts are fragile and easily broken if handled wrongly and some models are made without internal reinforcing rods, such as needed in wing struts.
The main  cause of problems really depends on the the company that produce the kit.
Some take great care to protect the kit parts from warping or damage during transit and the parts are well made.
The lower end of the market don't and their parts can be pretty dismal.
The cost of resin kits tends to be more expensive than styrene, not because of finer detailed parts, but because of the production techniques used.
That's why I think most resin kits are labeled as 'limited runs', as they are possibly more problematic to produce.
Some companies tend not mass produce and stock pile kits, but instead produce the kit only once a model has been ordered and paid for.

Thus far I've built 10 resin models kits from both ends of the market and I'm no 'master' modeler by any stretch of the imagination.
However, I've still manged to build reasonable representations from even the worst produced kit.

If the model and scale you want is resin and the only one available, I'd suggest you go for it.
Especially if it's from a quality company, which 'Lukgraph' is,

Mike
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:36:10 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 12:17:53 AM »
One thing I might add to Mikes list is that resin dust is really harmful for your health and that’s the reason why I personally prefer plastic kits. Be careful to sand resin only with wet sandpaper. I tend not to sand but to scratch the resin with a hobby knife whenever it is possible. That leaves larger chips instead of dust.
Well, however, that won’t keep me away from buying that Albatros C. III as soon as it‘s released.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 12:46:40 AM »
Good points Andreas,
Health and safety working with resin.

Here's what I add into my PDF build logs for my resin models:

Below I have listed what I have found to be the primary differences for resin kits from plastic kits:
1. When resin kits are cast in their moulds, a release agent is applied to enable the cast resin parts to be more easily removed, which is similar to plastic kit moulding.
This release agent can leave a film on the surface of the kit parts, which, if not removed, can    prevent paint or adhesives from adhering to the surfaces.
The easiest way to remove    this film is to carefully and fully wash all of the model parts in warm soapy water, using an old, soft tooth brush, then rinse all of the parts thoroughly and leave to dry. Alternatively wipe the parts with Isopropyl alcohol (e.g. ‘Tamiya’ X20A thinners).
2. Resin, by its nature, is very brittle and can be damaged or broken easily, especially when handling small parts.
This is particularly evident when separating the individual items from the resin cast.
The best way to remove item is to cut them away with a razor saw, then clean them up afterwards.
Once removed from the resin cast, parts will normally have ’resin flash’ around or amongst parts, especially small items.
This is easily removed with a sharp scalpel blade. Heavier residue can be scraped, filed or sanded away.
4. Plastic kits are assembled using solvent adhesives, which melt the surface where it is applied and ’weld’ the joint together.
Resin however will not react to this type of adhesive and can really only be glued using CA adhesive or two part epoxy.
CA adhesive reacts to moisture in the air and on the surface to be joined. As most people know, it will also bond skin to whatever it touches, if the skin has CA adhesive on it.
Obviously extreme care needs to be exercised when assembling resin kits using CA adhesive.
5. Cutting, sanding and drilling resin will create swarf and more importantly, resin dust. The dust in particular is dangerous, especially if inhaled.
Therefore always vacuum the working area, and yourself, regularly. If you have a face mask or filtered respirator and find you can wear it whilst working, then do so.
Resin can easily be drilled or scraped,    but remember how brittle resin is when it is being handled.
It is not unusual to find imperfections in resin cast parts, such as surface blemishes, small ’blow’ holes or ragged edges. This can be common on some resin kits.
These imperfections can be rectified by sanding/polishing and/or filling with modelling putty, then sanding/polishing.
6. Generally CA adhesive is supplied as ’instant bond’ adhesive, but there are some manufacturers, such as ’VMS Fleky’, that supply CA adhesive as standard, thin, slow    and specific resin adhesive. Whichever adhesive is used you must ensure parts are correctly positioned and aligned before applying the adhesive.
Trying to separate mis-aligned parts once the adhesive sets will prove very difficult and may result in irreparable damage to the parts.

Mike

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 06:56:53 PM »

Hi Pup7309
Resin kits are not that much different to styrene kits, but you do have to use CA adhesive or maybe two part epoxy.
The parts still need to be removed from their moulding blocks and there maybe more mould flash to clean off.
Also small or thin parts are fragile and easily broken if handled wrongly and some models are made without internal reinforcing rods, such as needed in wing struts.
The main  cause of problems really depends on the the company that produce the kit.
Some take great care to protect the kit parts from warping or damage during transit and the parts are well made.
The lower end of the market don't and their parts can be pretty dismal.
The cost of resin kits tends to be more expensive than styrene, not because of finer detailed parts, but because of the production techniques used.
That's why I think most resin kits are labeled as 'limited runs', as they are possibly more problematic to produce.
Some companies tend not mass produce and stock pile kits, but instead produce the kit only once a model has been ordered and paid for.

Thus far I've built 10 resin models kits from both ends of the market and I'm no 'master' modeler by any stretch of the imagination.
However, I've still manged to build reasonable representations from even the worst produced kit.

If the model and scale you want is resin and the only one available, I'd suggest you go for it.
Especially if it's from a quality company, which 'Lukgraph' is,

Mike

I've built a few resin models now

Thanks Mike for the explanation. I really want to build this one so will give it a go despite an uncanny ability to get my fingers stuck with super glue. I have heard resin dust is toxic so might wear a mask. Got plenty due to Covid.  ;D ;D

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 06:58:21 PM »
One thing I might add to Mikes list is that resin dust is really harmful for your health and that’s the reason why I personally prefer plastic kits. Be careful to sand resin only with wet sandpaper. I tend not to sand but to scratch the resin with a hobby knife whenever it is possible. That leaves larger chips instead of dust.
Well, however, that won’t keep me away from buying that Albatros C. III as soon as it‘s released.
Andreas

Thanks for the heads up wet sandpaper it is!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 10:56:20 AM »
Lukgraph has uploaded an image of the main components for its Albatros C.III.

Preorders will start in mid-September. They say there will also be a Premium version with canvas and wood decals.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 12:15:01 AM »

Mike - if not a 'master' then pretty darn close. I have been following your builds and find that they are very good references and inspirational for those of us not so talented.

As to resin kits, I have build a few over the years most of them of obscure subjects and were generally pretty rough all round. I still have a couple of non ww1 types in the stash.

All of the cautions already given for working with resin are all quite apt and worth heeding. Using wet or dry sandpaper wet is ideal, better yet if you can do your sanding in the sink with a very slow or dripping flow of water. I do this with large parts but the smaller bits are best done on the safety of the workbench with wet sandpaper.  Using sandpaper wet also helps clean the swarf from the abrasive and it will work better longer. As an aside, I sometime use a bit of water with my dedicated to model use needle files both on plastic and resin for the very same reason, particularly the one with a finer cut like number 4 and 6.

I am not a big fan of all resin kits but kits like this just seem to get better all the time; I will have to add this one to my wish list.

cheers, Graham

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 01:52:30 AM »
Hi Graham,
All good points for working with resin.
Worth noting,
Thanks,

Mike

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »
Hi all,
'Lukgraph' have said that development of the Albatros C.III is complete.
They will start taking pre-orders for this model on Friday the the 17th of September (next week),

Mike