Author Topic: Updates 'Lukgraph' 1:32nd scale Albatros C.III  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: Updates 'Lukgraph' 1:32nd scale Albatros C.III
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 12:30:38 AM »
Hi all,
Pre-orders are now being taken for the boxings of the Albatros C.III,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »
Preordered.  :)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 01:21:59 AM »
Me too

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 07:35:17 AM »
I have just got my Albatros C.III in the Polish version.
All around a very fine effort from Lukgraph, quality is much better than their recent FF.33L.

What I like especially:
1. Good quality resin with not many spots requiring repair, just minor cavities and scratches.
2. Great detail on fuselage and linen surfaces, including stiching and aileron hinges.
3. Wire reinforced struts.
4. Fine FE fret without elements which would be too flat, except for the control horns which are better replaced.
5. Quite straight wings leading edges, just some typical heat treatment of upper wings will be necessary.
6. Clear instructions leaflet with extensive rigging scheme including the hints for turnbuckles locations.

What I do not like
1. 3D printed bits with evident layers which will be especially visible on metal colours painted elements. On many parts like the otherwise fine Merc engine the removal thereof is almost impossible. Me, I will consider cutting the engine into separate elements to simplify airbrushing and possible replacement of some of them with spare WNW bits.
2. Bent ends of cabane struts which join them to the fuselage. I will probably build a replacement from plastic profiles.
3. Polish chechboard decals printed on white decal sheet will require some care when cutting out, the correct outlines are marked with black lines at the corners, however.

All in all a highly recommendable kit, especially for those who have some experience with resin kits. I will be glad to make more comments when I get to building this kit, in a couple of months, though, as my desk is busy now with other projects.
Many thanks to Łukasz for giving us another fine set to work on!

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 12:15:55 AM »
How about using a Roden mercedes engine. They are not expensive and injection moulded?
Cheers.
Andrew

Offline petrov27

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2021, 01:41:15 AM »
Yep it looks beautiful but I also am in agreement on the engine. The print marks dont look super apparent to me aside from whatever is going on with the crankcase (scratches?) but it being printed all in once piece is not ideal for cleanup, painting and such.

So glad to see someone doing 1/32 two-seaters though - was thinking with WNW folding that would be the last we see of anything but singles....
-Patrick

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2021, 03:43:20 AM »
How about using a Roden mercedes engine. They are not expensive and injection moulded?
Cheers.
Andrew

Yes, it can be done. But me, I have a rich spare box after building 30 WNW kits, and no spare Roden engines.

Yep it looks beautiful but I also am in agreement on the engine. The print marks dont look super apparent to me aside from whatever is going on with the crankcase (scratches?) but it being printed all in once piece is not ideal for cleanup, painting and such.

So glad to see someone doing 1/32 two-seaters though - was thinking with WNW folding that would be the last we see of anything but singles....

Those scratches are actually left over from my scratching a fingernail on the layered engine surface. These layers are not evident in all the photos but they are present everywhere. You can see them best in the photos showing the seat, the Spandau and on the edge of the propeller.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2021, 07:41:45 PM »
Hi PrzemoL,
I'received my model as well.
I'm thinking of airbrushing the 3D printed parts with 'Mr Surfacer' (500, 1000 or 1200) thinned with 'Mr. Colour' thinners.
Maybe several light coats will help merge the striations of the surface of the parts and level them out,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2021, 12:45:56 AM »
The one piece engine is disappointing, although not a deal breaker.