Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 27  (Read 5373 times)

Offline macsporran

Roden 1/32 Nieuport 27
« on: July 07, 2021, 11:53:45 PM »
I see Early Bird is working on a Nie27 in 1/72 and I have been fascinated by the subject of the Roden 1/72 artwork for this plane for some time. RFC kite with French camo and out of proportion roundels. Graceful bird, colourful subject.
So for a week or two I have been preparing the Roden 1/32 kit to represent B6768 as shown on the 1/72 colour diagram.
Sandy

Offline macsporran

Re: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 27
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 11:56:00 PM »
First stage was completing all the innards - quite an easy task as I'm simultaneously building a CSM Nie17 and could copy that kit's better layout for the Roden machine. Main components ready for the paint shop.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 11:57:10 PM »
.... and post priming stage with undersurface rib positions marked in in soft pencil...

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 12:00:28 AM »
Some colour added - MRP clear doped linen underneath and Tamiya acrylics up top. I mixed my own shades of green around XF-71 and stored the various shades in little airtight shampoo bottles (pinched from a hotel visit!) to keep for touch up etc as required.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 12:04:04 AM »
State of play so far.
Roundels applied (dreadful problems with under top wing positions not adhering), gloss varnishes, struts, oils on prop and outer struts etc, wheel and tyres - and Model Cellar pilot figure primed. Next stage fin and rudder strips and the most difficult job - fashioning the serial numbers!
Onwards and upwards!
Sandy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:12:48 AM by macsporran »

Offline Radarman

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 03:05:32 AM »
Wow, another Nieuport. I will enjoy this build.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 08:24:56 AM »
that's looking awesome, you've done a great job on the camo scheme and i look forward to seeing it come together

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 01:16:41 AM »
Looking beautiful ! You are certainly doing a much cleaner construction job than I managed  8) It is good to see this challenging kit get some attention!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:02:47 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 01:24:47 AM »
You have made excelent progress with this - and an interesting type that I had not really heard of until it started to appear on this forum.

Stephen.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 04:05:49 AM »
This looks great. The paint job is really sharp and the build looks very clean, too.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline macsporran

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 04:42:23 AM »
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated comments.
It's a great subject, maybe not such a great kit, but at least we have a kit!
I'll post more once I get back to it. Cheers.
Sandy

Offline macsporran

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 12:58:17 AM »
Bit of progress on the Nie - interrupted by a hospital visit for an MRI scan which fortunately dispelled worries about major problems!

Also feel guilty about spending time indoors in Bonnie Scotland when temperatures are soaring and this strange yellow orb is splitting the sky! We had heard rumours about this object called the sun but to actually see it over blue lochs, purple mountains and white beaches is very Mediterranean.

Note fan on desk!
So all major components are completed including pilot, rigging holes drilled, locating holes and pins improved and next stop is final assembly and detail finishes. Might actually get this one finished (if it rains.....)
Sandy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 01:33:45 AM »
Excellent update! The quality of your work on this one makes Me Tempted to get another and see if I can do better than My first attempt!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 02:02:10 AM »
Hey Sandy ,

Well I must say that this is a treat seeing you work unfold on this build . Beautiful job on the camo and I like the use of a pencil for doing the shading , have used this myself . Looking forward to the final pic's on this one  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline macsporran

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 05:00:19 AM »
Thank you for the kind words - but I wasn't sure if it was all going to end in the bin this morning.
East coast mist here to begin the day - what we call haar - so enthusiasm high, I thought, let's get those wings on.

Because of the very poor engineering, symmetry and locating system for this Roden kit I thought an unconventional approach was appropriate - mount the top wing and hang the lower wings off it with functional rigging. Ha, great idea until I found that the cabane struts were nowhere near accurate and resulted in the back of the wing being much higher than the front - ie a negative angle of attack. (You can't really find this out until you assemble the cockpit where these struts mount - ie after a lot of painting.)
So major surgery to reduce the struts and recess into the wing with much swearing and use of the Mark 1 eyeball, until finally a satisfactory top wing. (I'd also installed monofilament thread through tops of struts to provide landing wires to help hang the lower wings n place, so making the whole thing much more difficult as well!!!)
Finally I'm happy with the top wing and the assembly is superglued together.
Sandy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:38:35 PM by macsporran »