Author Topic: Monogram 1:32 Scale Grumman F3F-3 "Yellow Wings"  (Read 6057 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Monogram 1:32 Scale Grumman F3F-3 "Yellow Wings"
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 04:53:47 AM »
Pete,
    Sorry, I missed this until just now when I was about to post a small update. That's some great information and very interesting. It's a good thing this is mostly a "fun Build" as you say, as my model is already full of inaccuracies that would normally drive me over the edge and into the abyss of an AMS max. overload!! I can revisit the cockpit sidewalls with a spray of flat black and will do so. The references I've been using  specify silver, black, or chromate green, take your pick! As for interior photos their appear to be lots, but most of the -2 version, many are incorrectly captioned, and some are even of completely different aircraft.
    I recently borrowed a disc of "Dive Bomber" from a friend and watched the flying scenes repeatedly, what a great classic. The opening scenes boggle the mind with the sheer numbers of aircraft!
    I'm planning to do this one as VF-5's #1454 from Yorktown and will "live" with the Diving Eagle over a correctly placed star but that is a pretty neat story. If this were a WW.I subject I'd probably change color schemes as knowing it was wrong would drive me crazy!
   Thanks for taking the time to forward all this info, great stuff!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 07:16:26 AM »
   So now a brief update #1. I'll be repainting the interior walls of the cockpit above the side consoles in black per Pete's very informed comments just before this. Here's the side consoles with scratch built additions added. the configuration and painting are a composite version of what I believe are period photos and also more recent photos of restored aircraft. The same goes for the main Instrument panel which is completely scrap built with styrene sheet, Aeroscale, Airscale, and Eduard PE and Instrument decals.

and the left side .........

The main Instrument Panel. Decal instrument faces, PE Bezels, scratch built gun charging handles, some warning lights done with a Waldron punch set, and steel wire with CA end pieces for sliding "plunger" type levers.

Finally the assembled Landing gear links. I wasn't decided on whether to build this with the retractable gear feature however that decision was made for me when I broke the left side assembly TWICE and realized building the model with the gear permanently in the extended position would be wise! The apparent break in the photo is not the bad one (it was break #3!) The bad ones occurred when some CA wicked into the joins and welded the rotating parts which I got free but paid the price. Sadly I'm certain that hundreds of 12 year old or younger modellers managed the task without disaster years ago! So don't believe the old adage about how really old men turn into little boys again; if it were true I'd have "aced" the damned gear!!!  :o >:(

Now for some belts, a mixture control on the throttle quadrant, and a few pieces on the sidewalls and I'll close up the fuselage.

Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:23:12 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 08:10:39 AM »
I love this old kit! A high school friend of mine gave me a first issue kit that someone had tried (and failed) to make that gear work, and then gave up on it. I bought a newer release for spares, and with a lot of luck I made it work properly, and it ended up being one of my most enjoyable builds ever! I hope this one provides you as much enjoyment!

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »
Lance,

Happy to help with info, but I certainly understand trying to avoid advanced AMS with an oldie like this. I did build one as a teenager, and somehow managed to make the gear work. And that was back when the instructions usually told you to melt the shaft with a heated screwdriver to allow the parts to move! ("Get Dad to help.") It was a fun kit, and I wouldn't mind having one to play with again. Even the Accurate Miniatures kits, with the best molding technology of 1999-2000, missed some details, and some differences between versions. My issue with this kit right now, is how far to go with the details.

As far as I know, cockpit interiors were aluminum lacquer on all F3F's, at least until the war. Many ended up in training squadrons, some painted in Blue-grey over grey,  but the cockpits may or may not have been repainted interior green. On the side of the fuselage, there's a panel line even with the middle of the sliding canopy. This is Station 8, which is the rear end of the black paint on the sidewalls. The tops of the consoles are also black back to this line.

I don't remember what the forward fuselage and cowling look like on the Revell kit. The main difference from the F3F-2 was added sheet metal behind the cowling, narrowing the gap between fuselage and cowling. The F3F had an issue with carbon monoxide buildup, and some vents near the tail helped with this on the F3F-2. The added sheet metal on the F3F-3 ended just forward of the rear center strut, and formed a crescent-shaped "vent" along the fuselage side. Because of this, the vents above the horizontal tail were removed. There were also changes to the cowl. The area between the exhausts was filled in with sheet metal, and fairings were added around the exhausts.

There's a built Revell kit on the last page of the Ginter book, and it has the yellow star for the unit insignia, with the star correctly pointed down! So, on at least one issue of the kit, they got it right.

Don't forget, these aircraft only had lap belts. There's a story about Jimmy Flatley, in his first flight in an F2F, forgetting to lower the gear, ending upside-down, and hitting the gun sight. His goggles broke, lacerating his eyelid. He sent a recommendation, endorsed by Captain John Tower, for the redesign of safety belts, but F4F Wildcats, as late as Midway, still had no shoulder harness!

I don't know if you followed the Hyperscale link I provided, but I hope you think about changing the tailplane incidence. It's a neat detail, but fairly easy to add.

Pete

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 11:27:43 PM »
Thanks for the additional information Pete. I enjoyed the commentary in the Hyperscale link and plan to add the cutout for the variable incidence stab and will adjust the mounting of the tail plane as part of the change. The photos of the tail plane configuration in your link show it clearly and as you indicate it looks an easy fix. Like you I had to think about how far to go with the details. On a vintage kit such as this the temptation to add just "one more" is never ending!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline DaveB

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 02:03:35 AM »
Coming along great guns, Lance

Wonderful detailing work in the cockpit and instrument panel - looking forward to further updates.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 07:02:26 AM »
Enjoying your build on this one Lance. Hopefully things are going a bit better now that we're into a bit cooler weather  :)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2021, 03:20:41 AM »
Dave, Gary, thanks very much! Gary, yes, it's finally cooling off; wasn't the past week or more a treat!? ...... and now 20 Degrees C feels too cold!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2021, 05:53:12 AM »
You are adding lots of lovely detail on this Lance - certainly not an OOB build! It must be a bit cooler where you are because you would not be building so quickly if it was too hot!

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures with this oldie!

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 08:21:24 AM »
   Thanks for looking in Stephen, and for your comments. I'm just about ready to close up the Fuselage so will complete another small update.
   The openings where the gears to allow retraction of the landing gear on the model of the aircraft as an "action" feature was panelled in with styrene sheet, filled, and sanded flush.

The landing gear was then installed in each fuselage half, painted, and the wheel wells filled in with panels not on the model.

The scratch Built side consoles were added along with a Lap Belt made from from HGW left overs from the spares box.

..... and the left side console with the mixture control added to the throttle quadrant.

Finally the completed instrument panel with the rudder bar assembly added. This required no small amount of dry fitting and adjustment to fit snugly. It will need to be dry fitted when the fuselage is mated, then cemented in place later.

I also have the wings completed and ready to add as well as the tail components; things should start to fall together a little faster from here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 11:55:56 AM »
That's looking fabulous, Lance. I always remember your tip about the etched metal instrument bezels. Your panel looks exquisite!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline William Adair

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 02:44:54 PM »
Lovely work.  The extra detail is really bringing it to life.  I did not know that Monogram made one of these in 1/32. 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2021, 11:42:19 PM »
Thanks both for your comments. The next step is a bit intimidating; mating those fuselage halves without losing rivet and panel detail, one of the distinct disadvantages of older Kits. An OOB Build in a couple of casual evenings this is not! On the other hand a few sessions of "real model building" is good for the soul! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2021, 07:49:52 AM »
You are putting in the same level of detail on this model as on your WNW kits Lance: the difference being that much more of the detail is your work. However the quality of the additions is as good as any WNW part.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 08:03:16 AM »
   Thank you Stephen, your comments are very much appreciated.
   I need to add another update asap, the wings are ready for decals as is the fuselage, it's suddenly coming together nicely!
Cheers,
Lance