Author Topic: Good Reading?  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Checkers67

Good Reading?
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
I am reading "the Wolf" the first book published just before WWII. Then jump to the 2010 version "the Wolf".
So what are you reading?

Steve

WarrenD

Re: Good Reading?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, The German Army on the Somme by Jack Sheldon, Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army by David Isby, and all kinds of stuff on A6M2a Model 11 and A6M2b Model 21 Zeroes for a "batch build" I'm getting started on this week.

I always have at least two books going at once when I can afford the time.

Warren

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »
Just started Her Privates We by Frederic Manning. It comes highly regarded and so far hasn't disappointed. I've also got Kilduff's book on MvR on the night table. Oh, and Jack Keegan's The First World War is due at the library.

LT

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
Osprey's Vanguard Series Sopwith Camel, with the Fokker Eindecker Compendiums next up. Nice artwork and details in the Camel Volume at first glance.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »
Just started Her Privates We by Frederic Manning. It comes highly regarded and so far hasn't disappointed.

Wonderful book. You might also like A Passionate Prodigality by Guy Chapman and Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »
I'm almost finished with Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas. I may start William Fry's Air of Battle next, which I picked up last year, as a fellow member and I are interested in him as an aside to another matter.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »
Just started Her Privates We by Frederic Manning. It comes highly regarded and so far hasn't disappointed.

Wonderful book. You might also like A Passionate Prodigality by Guy Chapman and Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves.

Thanks for the tip, Bo. I'll see if the library carries it.

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
I'm almost finished with Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas.

Chris, the last couple of issues of Blue & Gray magazine have featured the battlefield of 2nd Manassas on their General's Tour. Great maps and good photos of the various points of action. I thought you might want to pick those issues to go with your current reading.

FWIW,

Warren

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
Currently reading:
~ The First of the Few by Denis Winter (courtesy of our very own pepperman42/Steve :) )
~ The First World War by Hew Strachan &
~ totally off topic, An Idiot Abroad by Karl Pilkington.

Got a couple of books for christmas waiting in the wings, I'll post them when I eventually get to them ;)

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:55:22 PM by whiteknuckles »
Eternal Apprentice

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »
I just took the delivery of "Through the Maelstrom" by Boris Gorbachevsky, recommended highly so far.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »
Currently reading:
~ The First of the Few by Denis Winter (courtesy of our very own pepperman42/Steve :) )
~ The First World War by Hew Strachan &
~ totally off topic, An Idiot Abroad by Karl Pilkington.

Got a couple of books for christmas waiting in the wings, I'll post them when I eventually get to them ;)

Andrew

First of the Few is pretty good, I thought Winter's Death's Men was better

WarrenD

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:43:25 AM »
Used a gift card to a book store the other weekend and picked up Neptune's Inferno. I've read another of Hornfischer's books, and enjoyed it. This one has not disappointed so far.

Warren

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:50 PM »
Not had any WWI related books to read, but I have just finished reading Chronicle of the Roman republic  given to me as a Christmas gift - ancient Rome is another of my historical periods of interest.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:43 AM »
After a general fiction read its - Hillenbrand's Unbroken, Black Fokker Leader, Lost Oasis then some more fiction Furst's Polish Officer or Nesbo.

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:19 AM »
Chris, the last couple of issues of Blue & Gray magazine have featured the battlefield of 2nd Manassas on their General's Tour. Great maps and good photos of the various points of action. I thought you might want to pick those issues to go with your current reading.

Thanks for the tip Warren. Good maps that can easily be referred to while reading a battle study are critical to my way of thinking.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.