Author Topic: Good Reading?  (Read 6621 times)

WarrenD

Re: Good Reading?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »
Chris, the last couple of issues of Blue & Gray magazine have featured the battlefield of 2nd Manassas on their General's Tour. Great maps and good photos of the various points of action. I thought you might want to pick those issues to go with your current reading.

Thanks for the tip Warren. Good maps that can easily be referred to while reading a battle study are critical to my way of thinking.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, that's a really big pet peeve of mine when reading a book about a battle or campaign. I get so aggravated when someone writes a wonderful book on an event in which I have interest, but the publisher puts in few or really crappy maps. Arrrgggghhhhh!!!

Warren

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
  Warren,
I'm glad to read of your interest in the Civil War. Another shared interest.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Checkers67

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
I just picked up "Master and Commander", Square riggers, no bad jokes please! Good read so far. :) :)

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »
A good set of books are the ones done by Peter Hart. "Bloody April" and "Aces Falling." They're relatively easy to get hold of and they're pretty readable and quite informative.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 06:54:05 AM »
"Gods and Generals",should be finished by the time " Hornet's Sting" arrives.Derek Robinson has a new one out,"A Splendid Little War",about RAF volunteers,flying Camels in the Russian intervention;that'll be the next one.

Dekenba

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »
Just got "Development of German Warplanes in WWI" by Jack Herris.

148 pages, tons of period B&W photos, loads of profiles, reproductions in colour photo's and very detailed schedules of types & numbers.

Goes through all German types in chronological and type order, with a good, interesting commentary. Individual chapters on the various fighter competitions and a very detailed chapter on engine types.

Obviously well researched, highly recommended for anyone with an interest in German WWI types - that means most of us!

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »
That does sound interesting, Dekenba. I've been looking for a good, comprehensive volume on German aircraft as I'm pretty light on the details on that side's equipment. Do you (or anyone else) know of an equivalent for the RFC?

Thanks for the recommendation,

Lindsay

Dekenba

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »
Closest I've seen is J M Bruce's "British Aeroplanes 1914-1918" - it's a 1957 publication and quite rare these days. If you can pick it up for less than £50 you are doing well!

Offline xmald

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 04:55:38 AM »
A good set of books are the ones done by Peter Hart. "Bloody April" and "Aces Falling." They're relatively easy to get hold of and they're pretty readable and quite informative.
I agree I`m reading Aces Falling and I find a great read. There are plenty of first hand relations of the aviators. Highly recommended! BTW there`s also a docummentary ACES FALLING I`ve seen it on  Youtube  it`s something worthwile too.
Best regards
Filip

Offline michael

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »
Just finished Winged victory by V.M.Yeates - i  recommend this book to anyone.

One of the best war books i have read

cheers
michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
I'm 11 pages into Open Cockpit by Arthur Gould Lee. So far so good. I've got Derek Robinson's Goshawk Squadron on order at the library. I'll report back after I've had a look.

LT

Dekenba

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
Just received Kagero's Fokker D.VII The Lethal Weapon - part of their Legends of Aviation in 3D range.

Absolutely amazing 3D computer generated drawings in full colour from all angles, a really superb modellers reference.

Engine, cockpit, control surfaces, wiring, guns, wheels, controls & dials - you name it, it's superbly well drawn.

Also contains a potted history and plenty of period photo's.

Very highly recommended indeed, I've ordered the Fokker Dr.1 version of this book on the strength of it.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:53 AM »
I reaaly enjoyed that one. The Dr1 book gives you groovy 3D glasses to look at some of the pictures.

Steve

Dekenba

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
Crowood's Fokker Aircraft of World War One is pretty special - very comprehensive indeed. Plenty of photo's, in-depth analysis, technical notes and pilot studies.

Highly recommended.

Dekenba

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 03:56:16 AM »
I've just got "The Imperial Russian Air Service - Famous Pilots & Aircraft of World War 1".

A staggeringly good book. 550 pages, superb diagrams, brilliant pictures, great stories - the single most comprehensive one subject, one volume book on WW1 aviation I've ever seen.