Author Topic: Albatros D-Va in 1/33rd by Luis Igualada  (Read 9026 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Albatros D-Va in 1/33rd by Luis Igualada
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 04:32:32 AM »
I know I gave said this before but each time I see one of these paper kits built I am amazed at the detail and how the pre printed colors look! You are really doing an awesome job!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 02:50:46 PM »
Thanks Rick and Alexis...this one is unusually nicely rendered too. 

I got a bit more done on the cockpit interior.  I still need to add the trigger cables and a few more things, but what you see here is strictly "OOD" or "out of download" instead of OOB.  The control stick turned out pretty nicely.  I'll see if I can get more done tomorrow.  It's supposed to be 110F in Tacoma tomorrow!  I may just melt instead.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 01:00:20 AM »
That looks lovely Dan!  The cross section of the interior sheathing wrap looks thicker than ordinary card stock to my eye.  Is that backed with something?  Must be thin, as it has rolled into a very nice Alby oval.  Keep going!

Best,

Bob

Offline Radarman

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 01:28:33 AM »
Dan,
It’s good to see you back with another paper model. Watch you don’t
set it on fire, though. Looks like a scorching few days ahead of us.

Keep Cool and model on!
                                                                                     Kevin in Port Orchard
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »
Thanks, Bob!  That is just my normal paper stock.  It's just pre-rolled a bit so it conforms nicely.  I also used a mix of my tacky white glue and CA so there may be some odd sheen etc. that could make it look funny.

Thanks for looking, Kevin...yup...all the chocolate in the house was like putty today so I needed to eat it all up.  How was Port Orchard?  We got to about 105 by our best guess in Felony Way.

With all of this heat, not much going on outside so modeling seemed a good plan.  I got the rest of the main cockpit done sans seat.  That's the next part to go in.  Then I'll start with the rest of the fuselage proper.  Everything fits really well. My only issue so far is that you can see I have a sizable gap on top where the inner sheets didn't actually meet.  Not sure why as all else is spot on.  I think once I put on the outer skin and the cockpit edging, it won't matter so much.  On the floor you can see the compass, some piano wire seat rails and, though it's hard to see, I did put gun cables in too from the triggers looped up toward the eventual MGs.  Can't wait to get the seat, belts and outside skin on! 

Maybe tomorrow...Good night, All.

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 10:00:25 PM »
Awesome ! Your really enjoying this Dan and it shows in your up-dates  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 08:59:04 AM »
Thanks, Alexis!  It's ALMOST as cool as a Pfalz...

I got the cockpit all done by adding the seat and belts.  They look pretty convincing.  I then added the small pump on the right side of the pit as well.  The only additions I made were the crooked connection from the magneto controls to the engine and the tiny loop on the top left that's an auxiliary throttle.  Seemed pretty obvious in all the cockpit pics I've seen.

Now on to the fuselage skins!

Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 03:02:38 PM »
Dan,
The 3D details from paper and a few bits of wire are just amazing to Behold.
I survived the 110°F/43°C blast but my blueberry and raspberry plants didn’t
fare so well. Things are getting cooler and I hope to get a chance to see your
work in person again.

Keep cool and watch out for paper cuts,
                                                                   Kevin
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 12:31:14 PM »
Thanks so much, Kevin.  My wife and I took a walk this morning and it was 63F!  What a change for the better...

Back to this guy.  I started putting the fuse skins together.  You can see in the shots that the designer has cleverly staggered seams that allow for a nice straight fuselage and he has also made the seams at actual plywood butt/lap joints.  Looks great.

I have run into my first problem, though, and it hearkens back to the inner cockpit skins not matching up on top.  My cockpit tub is too big!  I can't seem to wrap the skins around it (like me!).  I am attempting to sand the tub and thin out the inner side of the paper skins in the hopes of removing just enough so that it will all fit, but I think I may need to redo the cockpit with thinner paper or make the skins with thinner paper.  I bet that the paper I'm using is just a bit too wide and several "too wides" turn into large issues down the line.  Bummer. 

Of course, I can just reprint the whole kit if things really go wrong!  I can also salvage all the interior part so we'll see what I do.  Maybe take a break and work on the wings and tails.  This model is too pretty to give up entirely!

More soon...once I get enough courage to figure out what to do!  Paper can be a cruel mistress!  ::)

Dan
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:37:11 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 02:57:43 PM »
After sanding everything until it's almost transparent and cutting a few bits off (that I can replace)...Great Day in the Morning...I got it in! Phew...

We'll see how the forward fuselage goes!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 10:51:26 PM »
 Nice fix Dan.  I've had similar problems to deal with, but they always work out, even if you have to reprint, tear apart and begin again (recall my twisted fuselage on the Berg!).  Glad you got it to fit with just some sanding and cajoling.  I am looking forward to the rest of this build, as I have his "Stropp" D.V on the computer ready to print at some point.  As usual, I will be learning and profiting from your experience Dan! ;D

Best regards,

Bob 

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 03:06:54 AM »
Oooo....I love that STROPP colors.  That would be so nice and colorful!
Take notes and your build will go well... ;D

Dan

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
Moving along...the nose section is...challenging!  The motor mount is rather delicate and it's hard to keep it really square.  Things are fitting, but it's a slow process adding a bit of glue here, some more there (after drying) and then shaping some curve and adding more glue etc., etc.  I think I'm slowly getting it, but this is the hardest part of the build thus far.  And it's critical to how the thing looks in the end so any mistakes will really ruin things.   :o

Going well...just slowly!  I hope to get the nose finished this weekend.  Stay tuned.

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2021, 11:24:44 PM »
Great perseverance and patience Dan!  That engine mount looks like something I could easily foul up.  You are making a show of it with this one.  Thanks for the guidance.

FWIW, my next paper build will will be Igualada's SPAD XIII in Frank Luke's scheme.  I will be using your build of this kit as my guide. 

Best,

Bob

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 06:58:21 AM »
Hello Bob,

That SPAD builds up great.  Just be precise about thicknesses etc. and take your time.  It's more angular but does have some neat curves too on some specific parts and along the belly.  I just got the "chin" on the Albatros finished and it required a bit of sanding etc. to make things fit.  Likely little mistakes I added along the way.  I'll post it later tonight after I start a bit on the engine.

Let me know if you run into issues when you start and I'll try and help.

Happy Saturday!
Dan