Author Topic: Getting the Bird during Lockdown  (Read 775 times)

Offline macsporran

Getting the Bird during Lockdown
« on: May 12, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
Dontcha get stale building the same type of model sometimes?

When Lockdown started I fancied a change and built a ship and the old Aurora Knights and then spotted some of the old Airfix Bird models on that auction site - at ridiculously low prices. So one purchase became two, then three, etc. Finally I just had to get that elusive last one (The Owl).
A visit to The Works provided me with an inexpensive box of acrylic paints in all the bright colours I needed and a rattle-can of Halfords primer white gave me the base.

I'm a bit of an amateur ornithologist but my DSLR lenses are all telephotos (hence poor phone camera picture) and I was quite pleased with the results. (Of course, typical modeller I bought a few extra Bullfinches to convert into Chaffinch, Greenfinch etc - but they've not had colour applied as yet - coz - you guessed it - I'm back refreshed onto WNW and CSM subjects!!)
Sandy

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Getting the Bird during Lockdown
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 09:08:02 PM »
Very nice. It is always a good idea to build something really different to get new mojo for the main interest.
The birds look great. I hope you don't have a cat that will hunt them.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 09:27:16 PM »
Thanks Manni. I'm cat-less now unfortunately, my last wee pal went off to the great cathouse (!!!) in the sky just before Covid, but at least it meant I get lots of varied feathered pals in my garden now.
Actually they kept flying into one of the windows so I put some of these models on the sill to slow them before they hit the glass, which worked well until I saw the fading effect the sun was having on the acrylics!
S

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 11:25:36 PM »
Hi Sandy ,

Very nice collection of feathered friends ! Nicely painted as well ! Love the owl , one of my favorite birds next to ducks ! I love ducks . When I was a little girl when in Holland visiting my great grandmother she would take down to the bakery pick up a loaf of bread and go down by the dike and feed the ducks ! Extra bonus on the way home stopping for ice cream .

Thanks for sharing these with us Sandy , they bring back happy memories of a simpler time from our childhood  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 11:33:22 PM »
I'm a bit of an amateur ornithologist
Mee too!
So I really like your little birds here, well done.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 02:54:39 AM »
Thanks guys. A change is as good as a rest!
S