Author Topic: 1/72 MAC Distribution Phonix DIIa K.U.K Kriegsmarine  (Read 7823 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: 1/72 MAC Distribution Phonix DIIa K.U.K Kriegsmarine
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2021, 01:25:16 AM »
I just wish more people could see your wood tones for real and not via a camera as they are so realistic Dave. Your recovery of the tail badge is very good - not an easy transfer to save but you have done so and I am sure that very few people will notice.

Stephen.

Offline IanB

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2021, 02:22:11 AM »
Nice save on the decals!

Ian

Offline RichieW

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2021, 03:45:57 AM »
Great job restoring the broken decal, if you only showed me the final picture I would never have known you had encountered such a problem. Equally I would never known what a brilliant solution you had come up with!

Your wood effect on the fuselage is superb!

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2021, 03:36:06 AM »
Thank you all for following this one and words of encouragement - very much appreciated.

I am now experiencing some very serious issues with the other decals (for the fuselage) so will post up further progress shortly.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2021, 06:31:45 AM »
Dear all -

Next stages of progress:

Once the oil paint had dried on fuselage this was sealed in with one coat of clear orange followed by two coats of clear.  The next part was to add the dark green mottle pattern to fuselage.  For this I cut a small piece of kitchen sponge and put into spring loaded tweezers.  I thinned down the dark green paint in a small dish dipping the end of the sponge into it.  I dabbed off the excess paint onto paper before (carefully and lightly) dabbing onto model surface.  I then built up the mottle slowly until I was satisfied with the result.

I later clear glossed ready for applying the decals.  This is where the serious decal problem really showed itself again.   I wanted the version with the white diagonal band around fuselage.   Long story short, the decals broke apart as soon as touched water so I decided to hand paint in freehand.   I also had to hand paint the serial numbers as I had no suitable spare decals.  This is far from ideal and I have tried my best but admit it looks poor close up - I just hope it will look okay when viewed from a distance.

Rudder and fin were glued on the next day.  After this had set, I decided I needed to rig the undercarriage and rudder (I had already added a control horn to rudder made from stretched sprue) cable.   I'm using smoke coloured mending thread for main structural rigging and Oschi elastic fine for control cables.   

Now I could paint the underside of the lower wing.   Decals are provided for the red bands but even before I discovered the problems with kit supplied decals, I had decided to paint these on anyway.    Being a brush painter, I cannot use masking tape to paint along as it will leave a distinct 'ridge' once dry.   Much neater then to paint without using tape - I use the tape as a ruler to draw straight line using a pencil.  The first stage then is to paint a white base coat.  Once dry, I carefully drew out where the bands will run.   I can then simply paint along drawn lines with brush and touch in where needed thus:

I start by painting the lightest colour first as it is easier to paint dark over light colours.

I made one last attempt with the underside cross decals which was a complete waste of time

I tried to draw with pencil but was not successful.   I raided my spares box and found a set of approximate Germany crosses of similiar size and style although these had the white surround.  I decided to use and then paint in the white bands black

This was not as easy as it sounds and took many attempts to get right - again, as before, far from perfect if viewed up close.

Unfortunately, I will have to live with it otherwise I cannot complete the model .............

The decals in this kit are the very worse ones I have ever encountered and Roden decals seem a dream in comparison.   Luckily, I found suitable replacement for the upper wing markings which should make life easier here.

The next stage will be paint the upper surface of the lower wing including the drak green mottle.  More to follow in due course.

Regards

Dave

Bughunter

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2021, 10:29:00 PM »
You do a good job on this little bird!
The issue of the decals is a great pity.

If I notice that a decal set is very brittle, the remaining decals can still be saved with an over-spray with Gunze Mr. Metal Primer (a clear coat). That one is also recommended on the manual sheet of self printed decals. But if you use a rattle can of that, only a single spray! It will dissolve the decal, and a second spray onto this wet decal sheet will rearrange the pixels (Don't ask me how I know that)  ::)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2021, 10:52:07 PM »
Even though the kit decals are a nightmare , your hand painted versions are really well done Dave  :) Mottling effect also came out fantastic  :) All of the build so far is coming along lovely .

For decal which like to fall apart can be saved by either spraying Testors decal film over them or any lacquer clear coat will work as well . This can be brushed on as well starting with a very , very light coat . Mircoscale also has a decal film which can be brushed on . Diluted white glue with water will also work on keeping the decal together but it is a delicate working this method . But once the decal is dried to the surface the white glue can be wipe off with water . This method takes a bit of practice and not one I use very often .

If you not happy with the lower wing crosses I should have the size you need , just need to know the length   ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »
It is certainly a good thing you are so handy with a brush Dave! Your saves on the decals are well done. Hopefully the rest of this build will be smooth sailing! Looking great to My eyes  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2021, 01:45:35 AM »
Thank you all kindly -

Frank:  Apreciate the tip although too late for this build I can certainly bank this for a future build

Alexis - Thank you for the kind offer a replacement decals.   On this occcasion I may as well live with it now - luckily on the underside, so will not be overly noticed when done!

Rick - thanks, mate - hopefully, this gives a good insight to what is involved with brush painting a model.

Regards

Dave

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2021, 03:39:45 AM »
Dave,

Very nice!  I really like the sponge method.  Some of the old tricks still work quite well.

I have used Microscale Liquid Decal Film on old decals.  I don't remember if it was successful or not.  I do know it did not attack the decals.

Stuart

Offline RichieW

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2021, 06:14:05 AM »
Such a shame about the decals but your hand painting skills have saved the day. Without zooming in on the photos it looks fine to me.

Your sponged mottled effect is excellent, and the model is taking shape really well.

Good job!

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »
The mottle on the fuselage is very effective. That is a real disappointment with the transfers - but you have already had advice on what to do next time. I print my own transfers and use artists varnish to stabilise them - it has been successful every time so far. Painting on the red/white/red markings on the wings is certainly the best method.

Stephen.

Offline Matti

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2021, 03:17:18 PM »
Very good looking painting scheme  8)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2021, 02:47:17 AM »
Thank you all for following and posting comments!

Things are starting to move along nicely now, so latest progress report:

Painted upper surface of lower wing using 'dark earth' with the dark green mottle applied as before

Once all this had dried, added the cabane struts making sure they have aligned with the corresponding location points on apper wing

Underside of the upper wing painted in the same manner as underside of lower wing

Yesterday after the cabane struts and upper wing underside paint had all set and dried, attached the top wing to the cabane struts

I then used some fuse wire (bent to approximate shape) added from top wing to engine to simulate radiator plumbing.   When this had all set, I simply attached the interplane struts

Again, once all set (later in the day) I decided to install the main wing rigging

The next stage will be to remove excess thread and tidy up the holes in upper wing from rigging.

Regards

Dave

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2021, 06:22:47 AM »
This is looking very good indeed Dave. Somehow the line on the fuselage and hand painted serial do not look as bad as you feared now that there is more to distract the eye.

Stephen.