Author Topic: 1/72 MAC Distribution Phonix DIIa K.U.K Kriegsmarine  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/72 MAC Distribution Phonix DIIa K.U.K Kriegsmarine
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2021, 09:59:59 PM »
You are making quick work with this one Dave , looking good ! :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 12:41:41 AM »
Beautiful job, extra value given by small scale.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline DaveB

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 03:53:38 AM »
Thank you all very kindly for following me on this journey and for the words of encouragement - much appreciate!

Ian - regarding the exhaust:  Yes, did wonder about this but don't want to cut them away now as clean up could be tricky.  Looking at the gap between fuselage and exhaust should give me just enough space to get a brush behind anyway.  It will involve a bit of touching in on the exhausts but should be doable.

Things are really moving along nicely now (there are not many parts in the kit) so here is where I am now.   No filler was needed for the fuselage - I was able to file, sand and smooth out nicely.  Great fit on this part.  I was expecting to have to use filler here so this was a nice surprise. This has therefore speeded up things somewhat.

Installed lower wings, tailplane, windscreen, gunsites and undercarriage.  I am also preparing wheels, prop, rudder and fin for painting along with the rest.

Also cut and separated the ailerons to pose dynamically along with the elevators.  Will just need to tidy up once glue has fully set.

I will now need to start on the painting which I know will take a bit of time to apply.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 04:08:35 AM »
Outstanding progress here Dave! It is always Terrific when no filler is needed...doesn't happen very often  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
Great work Dave! I made one in 48th here
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2805.0

Offline RichieW

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 09:33:23 PM »
Really good progress Dave, I find biplanes in 1/72 are tough but you're moving along really smoothly. It's all looking very good.

Richie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2021, 10:32:10 PM »
Great work, Dave.  I've been following along quietly.
I don't recall seeing many Phonix before - interesting aircraft.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 01:36:47 AM »
Thank you, Rick, Andonio, Richie and Kensar.

Andonio - wonderful work on your 48th scale version!  And yes, I built the same kit very recently strangely enough

Regards

Dave

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 04:45:44 AM »
Been away Dave so I am catching up - and your speed is leaving me breathless! The interior looks great and the fit of the fuselage is super: just wish my fuselage halves would fit as well! Not much more construction left but the painting will take time although I know that you finish will be first class - it always is.

Stephen.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 03:42:36 AM »
Thanks, Steve -

Now you've said that, I hope I don't fall flat on this now!

Regards

Dave

Offline DaveB

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2021, 01:55:15 AM »
Okay, next stage of work on this one:

First stage of the wood effect is to paint on a base coat of matt ochre

This was put away to dry for a couple of days so have now put on the artist oil (burnt umber) and then 'drawn' out with stiff brush to hopefully get a wood tone look.  This will now need to dry for between 24-48 hours or so before next stage

I also started work on the kit prop.  Painted as above but then hand painted with fine brush (biege paint) to simulate the laminated wood look.

Unfortunately, the picture is out of focus but you get the idea.   I added on the same oil paint once this had dried and really drew the paint out as I only wanted a get a faint grained wood look otherwise you would not see the laminate effect.   

In between all this, I started work on the fin and rudder.   I removed from sprue and cleaned up the seams.  I then base coated in white and gloss painted in clear in readiness for the supplied decal.   I could tell looking at the decal sheet these look 'hard' printed on the sheet so carefully placed the decal in dish of shallow, warm water.   All seemed to be going well until I slid (carefully) the decal from the backing paper onto model surface.   As soon as I stared to slide the decal frome the paper the decal broke apart.  I tried to assemble the broken decal jigsaw like but quite a bit of the design has completely disintigrated as shown

This is a big problem here as it is easy to hand paint in the overall red colour, but there is an image of a crown over a shield motif that would be tricky to repair.   I have no spares to use so I was forced to make the best of what I had.   I sealed in the decal (broken) using a couple of coats of clear matt.   When this dried, I first painted in the overall red for red/white background band.   This was fairly straightforward.   However, the crown and shield emblem in the centre proved more difficult.  Using very fine brushes, I touched in the red on the shield.  I followed up with another equally fine brush using yellow and free hand painted in as best as I could to complete the missing sections of the crown.   This took several attempts to get right.   I accept this is not ideal and far from perfect, but is better than nothing.  Luckily, the markings on this kit are fairly basic apart from this one part. 

After painting in:

Hopefully, from a distance and in this scale I will get away with this repair.

Just waiting for the artist oils to dry before moving on further.

Regards

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 05:47:36 AM »
The wood grain on the fuselage looks great. The rudder markings came out Fantastic in My Opinion !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 10:39:27 AM »
Really nice wood tones Dave and I side with Rick in regards to the rudder decals ..Excellent save  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2021, 12:10:50 AM »
Yes, good save on the decal.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2021, 12:24:50 AM »
A very fine progress. This MAC kit is a nice one, save the decals, you should have fun, indeed, you have. Good luck with the rest of the build.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.