Author Topic: What's the Rush! - Opinions Please!  (Read 2231 times)

Offline skeeterbuck

What's the Rush! - Opinions Please!
« on: April 05, 2021, 09:35:34 PM »
Besides visiting here and also a member on several Facebook groups. I know I'm not alone as I have recognized members here as members on those groups too.

I've noticed that it seems like the trend now for a majority of modelers to complete their build as fast as possible. They seems to no sooner start a kit and within a week their basically done and moving on to the next subject. I realize with Covid etc. we all may have more time available to devote to our benches, but what the rush? Is their a modelling race that I somehow missed?

For now I'm building exclusively in 1/48 scale. When I start a kit I know it will be at least a month and usually longer before it's complete. I'm not talking some extensive conversion or a resin kit with possible "fit issues", I talking about an out of the box Eduard build with possibly some minor changes/additions. I almost always strive to make my next kit build as good or better that my previous one. This could be something as simple as filling a seam better to tackling a more involved paint scheme. Even though some intense building task can be nerve wracking, overall I enjoy my time alone and in my modeling world where I'm calling all the shots. My goal is to hopefully enjoy the journey to completion.   

I'd like to hear what started you modeling and more so, what keeps you going beck to the bench?
Thanks for listening,
Chuck

Offline RAGIII

Re: What's the Rush! - Opinions Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
Chuck,
As for what got me started I saw My father build a few Models, Diverse subjects like the Aurora USS Enterprise and some Bird kits when I was about 6 years Old. However, it was My Uncle that really got Me started. I was about 7 when He gave Me some Airlines kits he decided He wasn't going to build. It was then Erroll Flynn and Dawn Patrol that sparked My interest in WW1 kits.

I guess what keeps Me going is hoping to someday build "The Perfect Model" ( Although that will Never be achieved) Some accuse Me of Building quickly although if you take My Average of finishing about 6 per year that means a couple of Months spent on each  8)

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 03:38:54 PM »
And there was me worrying that my production speed was too slow...  Even OOB builds are taking me a month or more.

Take your time, relax and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 05:46:01 PM »

I've noticed that it seems like the trend now for a majority of modelers to complete their build as fast as possible.

Is there? I'd say the majority of modellers buy kits intending to build them, then put them into their stash never to be seen again.

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:27:59 AM »
When I really got into building more and as my skills grew . I became more organized is the steps I take on the building sequence and order I do things . But yet this really depends on the kit I'm building and if it's out of the box .

When I tackled Revells new tool P-51 D I spent 2 and half months adding detail just to the wheel bay . Spent just a month on the cockpit . This build took me about 6 months .

When I scratched built my FE-8 , that was a year and half ! Engine alone has 179 parts !

Fastest build I did was Tamiya's new tooled zero in 48 . Did this in less then a week . It is out of the box though . Most of my builds take me about month , but I have multiple builds going ...at least two . With covid and the past two years we have had shitty weather which keeps indoors relating to more bench time equaling in more builds being finished .

Build at your own pace and what YOU are comfortable with . We all build at different rates and the only thing that really matters in the end is that you are happy with the end results .

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:41:56 AM »
   I will readily confess to being a notoriously slow builder. My limiting factor is that I get distracted by a myriad of minor details and run off down numerous "bunny trails" in pursuit of the answers in the references or on the Net. I believe it's a version of the dreaded "AMS" which is emphatically not ADVANCED Modeler's Syndrome in this case! I spend at a minimum equal time Building and searching which doesn't do much for prolific rates of production. Four models per year is my best although this year, with the help of Pandemic forced isolation, I'll do more then that hopefully. The foregoing ensures I'll live to 150 years of age as I promise to empty all those boxes in my stash and I am a man of my word!
   Having said all of that I still enjoy the hobby after a lifetime of pursuit of the prefect model however I agree with RAGIII, ain't gonna happen on my bench! I started the hobby very young like him, in my case from a fascination with anything with wings and that's never stopped to this day. Now that I've "been there and done that" and woke up an old man recently, I am again as in the beginning limited to plastic and daydreams, but it works for me. At risk of repeating myself we are all very fortunate to have this pass time to distract from the rigors of the every day!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 12:45:47 AM »
   Quote from Alexis : "Build at your own pace and what YOU are comfortable with . We all build at different rates and the only thing that really matters in the end is that you are happy with the end results .

Well said, that says it all!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 04:08:44 AM »
   The foregoing ensures I'll live to 150 years of age as I promise to empty all those boxes in my stash and I am a man of my word!

There's a ghost story in this...

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 04:23:11 AM »
To me it is still just a hobby.  I do it in my spare time, when I feel like it.  I guess that's why my skills aren't the greatest.  I don't 'practice' enough.  The Spad XI I posted in 'under construction' back in December 2020 is still on my bench.  I had actually started on it summer 2020.  I am now on about the sixth repaint and fourth re-rig.  But, this has been kind of a test mule for colors and several different products and techniques.  I think I have that all sorted and can now concentrate on completing it.  However, last weekend I spent an afternoon and built a 1/72 Revell Fokker D.VII OOB as a dedicated paint mule.  So, some go fast, some go very very slow.  But I'm really trying to  focus on 'the shelf' and completing all previously started projects.

Stuart

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 05:58:12 AM »
Besides visiting here and also a member on several Facebook groups.
FB is a plague. They attack the openness of the internet - all things only for members - analyzes all inidividual and make money from it. With companies like this we would not have the internet as we have it today. And no, a single company should never allowed to set a standard. Monocultures are not good in nature, in business and for humans and culture.
No, I will never join such "communities" and much more people should realize the background and do the same.

May be that is the reason that so many more or less active people are lost here?
If I miss then those models and speed builds on FB I don't care.

but what the rush? Is their a modelling race that I somehow missed?
May be the models are the new "Ferrari" and "Porsche"? I noticed also a lot of new companies with a trend to high price models?
One example: there is a new company Minibase and their first model is a Suchoi Su-33 Flanker-D in 1/48 for around 100€.
A huge amount of companies doing accessories, paints, tools ... So every week is a new hottest shit you need to get ...
Seems to be the same "rat race" as everywhere. Wherever mankind starts a competition, it ends up like this.

With a a high priced sports car you can try to impress (at least some) woman, but with a nicely build model? ???

I'd like to hear what started you modeling and more so, what keeps you going beck to the bench?
I like those colorful biplanes of the early aviation period! The build process is fun, I can always try to be better with the next model by a (very important aspect) learning process. I can try to understand the technical history, the development of solutions (as an engineer). For example the changes between the aircrafts within the Sopwith family. Also the research for the projects and the community and discussions are an important part of it.
So that results in a rate of around six models a year, depending on needed effort. But if a model needs longer or end as shelf queen for a while that is ok too.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 06:18:41 AM »
I have to confess I race through models like a toddler opening Christmas presents  :o

I don’t want to, but when I’m really enjoying a build I just can’t stop! Although I’m not sure the quality suffers - If I had to slow down I’d still make the same mistakes!

I think my issue is that I love starting a new project, the best fun is deciding on a subject, Googling it and having the potential of a perfect model on my bench - until I start it of course!

Maybe I need to see a shrink?! But that said, I just really enjoy my modelling at the moment, so surely that’s the point. It’s the journey and not the destination...

Guy

Ps I would liken time at the bench to meditation...
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 04:34:36 AM »
No rush. I build what I like, when I like, slowly or slightly faster! ( Not as fast as Alexis or Rick!!) I feel free to start a project or stop a project when I like. The choice of subject is free. And I enjoy every minute of it! Regards, Marc.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
I do not rush, it is my hobby so why should I?

But I seem to get more models build lately. Part of that is that I do more outside WW! and switching to a new glue, I use Mr. Cement type S now and really speeds up building time, some kits I get mayor construction done in just 1 weekend.
Also a great speed-up is building a better quality kits. Souns lame, I know, but true.

I have build kits lately ftom CSM, Dora Wings, Pilot Replicas and Tamiya and fit and details are just perfect on all of them, so hardly any time is needed on (air)frames and details. I have showed pictures of my CSM Minerva and that one took less then 20 hours building and painting, almost too fast for my taste and wallet!!

But now I am planning a WnW Fe.2b and expect to be building that over several  months, seems a reasonable and realistic pace to me.
So maybe choice of brand and subject 'dictates' speed more and people tend to translate that to ww1 modeling?

cheers from Holland, Hidde

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 11:23:54 PM »
Last time I checked there is no speed limit posted on this road. I love that Guy builds fast - I get to see them sooner. Other slower builders - I get to see them too. Me -I'm on the glacier ride .Wheee. Frank - I'm with you - got away from FB and didn't look back but asking people to do the same is like asking them to form a committee to ban censorship - look out the anarchists are organizing!! ;)

Steve 

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 11:32:49 PM »
Thanks to all so far for your thoughtful responses.

One thing I would like to add is that I have higher standards which I impose on myself. If I find myself in a build and I screw up something to the point where I think the model just isn't going to be "acceptable" to me, I either put it away for later use as possible spare parts, or throw it in the trash. I had on numerous occasions others tell me that it "looks good" or that it "hardly noticeable", but it just falls on my deaf ears. To continue on would just be a waste of my time. Experience has taught me that when I do make a mistake, and I'm not sure how to correct it, to set it aside and think on it before deciding how to proceed. Usually a solution will arise to successfully correct the mistake and be able to proceed.

I usually get extra cautious near the end of a build. The further along you are, the more critical each step and usually the harder to correct the mistakes.

Chuck

P.S. As to Facebook, I'm only on it for the WWI modelling groups like Wood & Wire, Aviattic and Ray Rimell's Windsock. No social interest for me!  :-X
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:37:27 PM by skeeterbuck »