Author Topic: 1/72 SIA SP 2  (Read 8137 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: 1/72 SIA SP 2
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 10:53:20 PM »
I'm glad to see you worked that out.  Great progress, Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 11:16:02 PM »
Excellent Stephen on working out the issue with the seam , very neat solution indeed !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 05:51:26 AM »
Plastic fantastic!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 11:49:56 PM »
In spite of multiple pulls it is the end result that counts! Looking great and as always I look forward to the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 11:59:23 PM »
I have the same memory problem sometimes. These posts serve more than one purpose! Nicely done once the memory had been jogged!

Ian

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 02:42:48 AM »
Some amazing problem solving Stephen, and great progress! Not an easy subject, but certainly coming along beautifully! And some great techniques described... Thanks! Marc.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 02:59:02 AM »
Great progress, Stephen!

Your nacelle looks good despite your problems.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 04:17:14 PM »
The nacelle looks good, glad you didn't give up and made it. The Voisin model is a little gem and gives a preview of the SIA in the near future. Thumbs up.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 08:29:21 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks indeed to all of you who have dropped by and been kind enough to leave positive and encouraging comments. I really appreciate them, the more so after I had had such difficulties with the moulding process.

Gary: I do know that kits are available on the market, but I have a masochistic streak which means that I enjoy making problems for myself trying to make my own parts.

Ian: I just wish my memory was better - it seems to be deteriorating rather too quickly for my liking! If it was better I might find solving some construction problems a little easier...!

Evening All,

I glued the new nacelle top to the  sides while the rear of the nacelle was blocked off with thick card and filed to shape. A liberal amount of filler was applied to the joint between the moulding on the top of the nacelle and the sides and rear where the fit was not perfect. The obligatory sanding and filling followed...

The nose now has the sharp edge and corners similar to those I managed to achieve on the Voisin. I have opened up the apertures for the cockpit and engine compartment in the nacelle. I cut around the outline of the openings with a new scalpel and finished the edges by carefully scarping and filing. The latter was a bit delicate as I did not want to damage the interior of the cockpit, although the pilot's seat was not in place at the time:

After fitting the pilot's seat I added some detail to the top of the engine: ie the part that will be just visible on the completed model. Basically I added the cam shaft from small pieces of rod between small cubes of card, the latter representing the housing for the valves on the top of the cylinders. Some thin pieces of rod on the side of the cylinders represent the carburretor intakes and I have drilled holes on the opposite side to take rod for the exhausts later. The engine was fixed into the rear of the nacelle so that I can now start painting.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
Really nice work on the fuselage Stephen . Engine details are very convincing , just the right amount of detail  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 08:03:54 AM »
Your usual outstanding results Stephen!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 08:04:12 AM »
Excellent job on the filling and sanding, you've completely covered your tracks there Stephen.

I totally agree with your point about making your own parts being fun, I can't thank you enough for nudging me towards having a bash at scratch building. I'm already planning my next project and I'm nowhere near finished my current build.

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2021, 02:15:49 AM »
That fuselage has come out really well, Stephen.

I also agree with Alexis on the engine - great details that will really pop out once painted.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2021, 03:49:15 AM »
Thanks Alexis, Rick, Richie and Dave for dropping by and leaving those kind comments.

Richie - scratch building is addictive, as any scratch builder will tell you. IMHO it is more rewarding that building a kit, but the builder does have to overcome the feeling that it is too difficult to do. In reality it is just a small extension to adding extra details to a build. The big advantage is that if you make a part and it is not quite right, make another one until it is! Best of luck with your current project (which is going extremely well BTW), and good luck with the one being planned: I am looking forward to seeing both completed!

Stephen. 

Bughunter

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2021, 04:33:29 AM »
Even it is (partly) hot formed, this is cool stuff! :D :D

Cheers,
Frank