Author Topic: Roden 1/35 Holt Tractor diorama finished  (Read 15838 times)

Online gedmundson

Re: Roden 1/35 Holt Tractor
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2021, 12:04:09 AM »
Thanks to everyone who posted such kind comments - I really appreciate that!

Hi Gary, I think your figures  look  wonderful!

Could you share with us how you do this?

For example: how do you make such sharp  seperations between the pants and the shirt, znd how you do the details of the face, and what paints and colours you use?

Willem

Willem - thanks for asking that question. Hopefully I can shed some light on ho I manage the painting steps.

As previously shown, I have airbrushed the figure's uniforms in XF-1 Tamiya Flat black. I then airbrushed on a colour for the trousers - Vallejo mix of "British Uniform 70.921" and "Khaki" 70.988 in a 3:2 ratio. The colour was sprayed to allow the black to show as a pre-shade.

Setting the airbrush as fine as I could, I then sprayed the grey colour (I used a neutral Tamiya Grey - doesn't matter which) for the undershirt, again letting the black show through as shadow, and also cutting as close to the trousers as I could.

These colours were then painted onto the figures using very diluted amounts of Vallejo Model Color acrylic. You have to thin it quite a bit, and use several coats. This takes some experience with the paint, and some practice to see how it lays down. The idea is to build up the colour to a lighter shade as you hit the highlights of the folds in the clothing.

For the faces, arms, and hands I paint the flesh colour by brush, and use Vallejo Beige Red 70.804 as a base. The shades are done mostly with a blend of 70.804 and Vallejo Panzer Aces 343 "Shadows Flesh", and highlights with the base colour and Off-White 70.820.

I have to say that I absolutely need the best paint brush to accomplish this level of detail, and I swear by the Winsor & Newton Series 7 sable brushes size 000. They are very hard to buy here in Edmonton, Canada. I also use a microscope to help with magnification.

Sorry for the long answer - but I hope this helps answer you question :)
Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:55:35 AM by gedmundson »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 06:14:09 AM »
I'm not even going to try this but I will sit back and admire your work . Yes Winsor and Newton brushes are hard to find here in Edmonton , best brushes out there .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Edo

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2021, 03:24:40 PM »
yeah, me too...
but thank you to explain us the magic!

ciao
edo

Online gedmundson

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2021, 03:28:50 AM »
Thanks Alexis and Edo - I'm happy to share the story, although I'm not a fan of showing partially completed work  ::). But that's what these threads are for I guess  ;)

Speaking of which - I've had to paint and weather the tractor in sub-assemblies. It's hard to properly weather the running gear with the tracks in place, and the engine of course had to be done separately. So here's where I'm at now with the finishing stages before the platform goes over the chassis, and some of the other smaller assemblies are added.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2021, 04:18:06 AM »

Sorry for the long answer - but I hope this helps answer you question :)
Cheers,
Gary

Don't be sorry Gary, thank you for this extensive explanation. I think for a lot of us this is a great help.

@ Alexis: Maybe figure painting is as daunting as starting a resin kit....  ;)

Willem 

Online gedmundson

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2021, 08:43:45 AM »
Another update, as I try and work my way through painting/weathering/assembling the tractor. There are a couple of levers mounted just in front of the steering wheel, and photos show a couple of lines (pneumatic? cables?) going from there and passing through the fender. I added these with thin lead wire. They look flimsy enough, so I didn't make them straight.

Each build I've studied of this model seems to show the radiator tilted forward at the top, which looks odd. I believe the reason is the upper hose is a bit too long, so I've test-fitted mine many times to get the pipes and hoses to line up correctly with the radiator sitting plumb. I don't think I've ever test-fitted a model as much as this one.

Cheers,
Gary

Online gedmundson

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2021, 04:52:30 AM »
One often wonders what colour to paint engine exhaust parts. Studying real ones - they appear to be very abstract in appearance varying from spotty pinks to greys to rusty looking and everything in between. I painted the Holt's exhaust by airbrushing it flat black, and then rubbing on random colours of artist's chalk pastels here and there until I was pleased.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Edo

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2021, 04:11:00 PM »
and it turned out a beauty !
ciao
edo

Offline Borsos

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2021, 06:33:12 PM »
Wow, that exhaust could go for a real one!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2021, 06:56:46 PM »
I agree with Andreas and Edo, it looks very realistic!

Willem

Offline macsporran

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2021, 08:15:15 PM »
I don't usually follow step by step builds or vehicle threads but I happened on this one and, have to say, I am blown away by your modelling, Gary. The figures especially are expertly brought to life. On the one hand I wish to congratulate you, on the other I want to chuck my airbrush in the bin!
Wonderful stuff.
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »
Beautiful weathering so far Gary  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2021, 02:13:18 AM »
Yessss, terrific work, Gary. I have this one in my stash, too. When the time comes to build it I will try to follow you step by step.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online gedmundson

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
Thanks so much to all who have commented! I'm truly grateful.

I finally received some new Winsor & Newton paint brushes from Delta Art. I had to cancel a couple of brushes on order since last October and substituted whatever they had in stock. No amount of hounding seems to speed things up - and of course "Covid" is the big excuse. That and some ridiculous trade agreement because animal hair is used to make them. But I love those brushes, and my figures are progressing too.

I've been busy on the model and have spent most of my modelling time applying pastels and oil paint touches of weathering using mineral spirits as a solvent (doesn't attack the Tamiya acrylic base paint). More to add as I go. I find I can never weather things enough.

Cheers,
Gary

Online gedmundson

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2021, 06:06:17 AM »
Figures are almost completed, and I painted a cap badge on each one for the Royal Artillery.
Cheers,
Gary