Author Topic: Roden 1/35 Holt Tractor diorama finished  (Read 15825 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: Roden 1/35 Holt Tractor
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2021, 07:58:54 PM »
Frank, Andreas and Alexis - thanks so much for dropping by to comment! Unfortunately, Alexis, much of the scene has to be mapped out before I can start to paint the figures. I still have to configure the driver for the Holt tractor...and may have to perform surgery to have his head looking the best way to convey the feeling of how these components will all piece together. I'm also waiting for some missing parts from my Howitzer kit to be sent from Resicast in France (Gun Limber Wheels).

A couple of the components of this scene involve two troops passing by on bicycles. I've converted one of the MasterBox WW2 bikes to look more like a WW1 example used by the British army. In some cases, there were provisions for carrying a Lee Enfield rifle using leather straps.

These little models come with an etched metal set that replicates the spokes and smaller components quite nicely. I had to add some 0.3mm tubing here and there to make up for some of the etched brass bits that didn't fit very well, and repair a broken support (seen below in the parts layout in the top left corner). To glue the handlebars to the post, I had to drill a tiny hole and use a fine copper wire to help give strength to the miniscule joint. It can be seen still poking out of the top in the photo. Some thicker copper wire was used for the springs at the back of the seat.

Cheers,
Gary

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:06:04 PM by gedmundson »

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2021, 05:30:08 AM »
If there's one thing I find takes forever in time and resources, it's converting figurenes to match what I need in a scene. Work is progressing slowly on the project as I try to put everything together, with the figures relating to each other in some natural appearance.

I used some ICM British Infantry parts to convert the WW2 French bicycle troop to the soldier I wanted chatting with the Holt driver, and then altered the position of the driver and his head to correspond. A second cyclist with a bike is in progress. And I'm still waiting for my missing parts from ResiCast.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Hi Gary ,

I guess that makes sense on planning out the lay out and getting the feel of what you are looking for . I can wait ...

Nice job on getting the bike put together , to bad the chain stay broke , but I'm sure once you get her painted up no one will be able to tell .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »
Wonderful work, Gary. The converted figure looks really good in my eyes. Can't wait to see the next steps. The bike is a gem. I have build it , too. Was great fun.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 03:46:12 AM »
I like that bicycle very much!  Nice!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2021, 11:48:31 PM »
Todd, Manni and Alexis - thanks for your comments and I'm happy you like the bicycle. I made a second one, and also converted an ICM figure to be pushing it along. Painting on the tractor has commenced and I hope to show pics soon on that.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2021, 12:30:10 AM »
Don't want to be repetitious but just had to comment again.  The figures works so well with the bike.  It looks like you really had to go to the spare parts bin to piece him together.  Also the gun cover and the roll-up on the rack!  Very cool.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2021, 03:05:46 AM »
Don't want to be repetitious but just had to comment again.  The figures works so well with the bike.  It looks like you really had to go to the spare parts bin to piece him together.  Also the gun cover and the roll-up on the rack!  Very cool.

Thanks Todd - I'm lucky to have collected a lot of bits over the years, and was able to use an UltraCast head, Dragon models German WW2 infantry arms, and an extra Model Cellar helmet on this guy. The bike kit broke in EXACTLY the same spot as the previous one when I tried to remove that part from the sprue - very delicate indeed  :o
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 09:12:13 AM »
With painting the gun and tractor well under way, I received my missing limber wheels from ResiCast in France. But I was sent the wrong ones. So I'm still waiting to hear about how that'll be resolved.

Meanwhile I thought I'd make a start painting the figures. This time with their heads attached. I like to airbrush the uniforms black, and then add colour gradually building from dark to light so that the highlights stand out. The basic shades of the uniforms were also airbrushed, and I fill in the rest with brushing very dilute layers of Vallejo colours. Everything is still a work in progress, so here are a few pics of the Holt driver and Artillery troops so far.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Edo

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2021, 03:15:40 PM »
i always am surprised by how beautifully your figures re painted!
and always a little sad as I will never reach such a level....

ciao
edo

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2021, 10:50:05 PM »
Gary,

...lookin' good !!  The figures are shaping up nicely. 

Paul

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2021, 08:55:26 PM »
Your explanation says "simple" but the results look like there is far more to the process. Wonderful work!!

Steve

Offline Borsos

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 09:57:32 PM »
i always am surprised by how beautifully your figures re painted!
and always a little sad as I will never reach such a level....

ciao
edo

Exactly my thoughts!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 07:44:41 AM »
Hi Gary, I think your figures  look  wonderful!

Could you share with us how you do this?

For example: how do you make such sharp  seperations between the pants and the shirt, znd how you do the details of the face, and what paints and colours you use?

Willem

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »
Lovely details, I like bikes and figures and the whole scene is really promising.
Ciao
Giuseppe