Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Fokker D.II  (Read 10461 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Fokker D.II
« on: March 04, 2021, 02:10:27 AM »
Hi all,
I'm still waiting for the figures to arrive for the Roland D.VI so I can complete that model.
In the meantime I'm starting on the 'Special Hobby' 1:32nd scale Fokker D.II.
This model will represent a Fokker D.II, serial number not known, that was attached to ‘Kampfeinsitzer Stafflen’ (Kesta) 4b sometime between April 1917 - October 1918 at Royal Bavarian AF, Freiburg.
Should be fun,

Mike

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:21:16 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Fokker D.II
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 02:24:56 AM »
I am really looking forward to this one. One of the kits I hope to purchase this year. The scheme you have chosen should be striking!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 05:11:17 AM »
Ooh yes,

Me too  ;D I want the 1/48 one so will be interested to see how you tackle this

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »
Hi all,
'Special Hobby' kits can present a challenge, such as not having location pegs and associated holes for locating parts together.
Also the styrene they use is much softer than most other kits and it can be easily marked, especially with cement.
As for the streaked camouflage on the fuselage - it can be painted using oil paint, but for this relatively small area (just the fuselage mid-section and top) I'll probably use the 'Aviattic' Fokker streaked decals.
They were designed for the Fokker DR.1, but can be carefully cut and used for this aircraft,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 11:50:07 PM »
 :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Beto

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 02:23:48 AM »
Hi all,
'Special Hobby' kits can present a challenge, such as not having location pegs and associated holes for locating parts together.
Also the styrene they use is much softer than most other kits and it can be easily marked, especially with cement.
As for the streaked camouflage on the fuselage - it can be painted using oil paint, but for this relatively small area (just the fuselage mid-section and top) I'll probably use the 'Aviattic' Fokker streaked decals.
They were designed for the Fokker DR.1, but can be carefully cut and used for this aircraft,

Mike

Aviattic also produces "non-taylored" streaked decals both in white and clear paper - See here: https://www.aviattic.co.uk/132-roden-fokker-triplane-decals-and-accessories.html - Hope this helps :-)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »
Hi Beto,
Thanks for the heads up on the non-cookie cut decals.
Actually when I looked at those I have they are these decals, not as I first thought the DR.1 cookie cut decals.
I have sheets ATT32058, 32059, 32062 and 32063 so have enough for what I'll need.

Mike

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »
This will be interesting.  Many years ago I built the Roden DR1 as an F1 with streaked finish (also experimented with chipping chipping along the ribs). 

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=123225#1015848
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/114182?page=1

Not wanting to hijack your thread at all, but I was very pleased with the outcome.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
Hi Hugh,
Thanks.
That's an interesting thread you've done on chipping and the result you achieved is very effective.
It's a topic that I'm sure would provoke discussion.
Certainly metal areas such as fuselage forward panels and engine cowls would have suffered from chipping.
How much doped linen would chip is hard to say.
Certainly some aircraft displayed heavy degradation of the surface finish around the forward fuselage, due to the effects of engine exhaust and oil.
Rotary powered aircraft show this more than inline powered aircraft.
Recent photos of the underside of one of Peter Jackson's aircraft show that the linen had literally become transparent. 
The Fokker D.II I'm modelling is a good example of the degradation at the forward fuselage from engine exhaust and oil.
Thanks again - food for thought,

Mike

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 08:59:18 PM »
Absolutely, the degradation of the coloured dope near the cowl is very obvious.  Whether you call that chipping, or simply wear, I look forward to seeing how you handle it.

What I interpreted as chipping in the photograph of Voss’ F1 could just have been a trick of the light, but if I was to build another Fokker, I’d use the airbrush technique again for sure.

Cheers,

Hugh.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »
What a nice looking plane. It's the first time a saw a picture of it. I'll follow to see what you can do with this kit.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 07:21:28 AM »
Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The engine and propeller are finished.The engine has push rods of 0.4 mm Nickel-Silver tube with 0.5 mm Brass tube bases.
Also 0.5 mm tube spark plugs with 0.2 mm copper wire ignition leads.
The propeller is from 'ProperPlane' and although it's a British 'Lang' type, is similar to the 'Imperial' propeller fitted to some aircraft, rather than the 'Garuda' propeller.
The 'Imperial' decals were spares from a previous model build.
The basic cockpit is also finished, but without any added detail, such as control cables, bracing wires and pipes etc.
This is because for the first time, I'm adding a pilot figure into the cockpit.
With the pilot located, just about everything in the cockpit is hidden from view, except for the top of the control column and the one instrument.
The figure I'm converting for this model is from 'Wings Cockpit Figures.

Mike

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:43:59 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
Well that's gorgeous!! Wow!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 12:07:47 PM »
Beautiful Prop and Engine Mike!
RAGIII