Author Topic: Canadian 1/48 Roden SE5a w/Leading Edge decals  (Read 2465 times)

Offline oa5599

Canadian 1/48 Roden SE5a w/Leading Edge decals
« on: March 03, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
Greets all!

Long time lurker of the forum about to start my first build thread. I dabble in most types of modelling and only rarely come back around to WW1 Aircraft, but I enjoy seeing the great work on the forum here.

The subject of this build will be one of the twelve SE5s that were gifted to Canada after the war. Two were converted to dual control and one of the few pics I've found is one of these on ski's. I picked up a 1/48 Roden SE5a and the recent Leading edge decals. I actually had to buy two Roden kits since the first had a DVII inside... Box, decals and instructions were correct but wrong plastic! The decal sheet doesn't have G-CYCQ as one of the options but I should be able to make it work for what I want to do. 

My only reference so far is Early Canadian Military Aircraft Vol 1. I have an extensive Canadian aviation library but it seems the SE5s are rarely mentioned. So if anyone out there does have info I'd be happy to hear about it.

Wish me luck!
-Sean

Offline hrcoleman66

Re: Canadian 1/48 Roden SE5a w/Leading Edge decals
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »
Welcome!  Looking forward to seeing your build.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:09:05 PM »
Welcome and I look forward to seeing your build! I can't help with info on Canadian SE 5a's but hopefully someone can.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
Great to see you here Sean, (you seem vaguely close to home here in the middle of nowhere!)  Great project and optimum "Canadian content", looking forward to following along!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:20:48 AM by lcarroll »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 06:13:22 PM »
Welcome. Looking forward to your build, the unusual livery is really promising.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 11:20:35 PM »
Hi and welcome,

I’d be interested in this - I’ve built the new Eduard kit which is excellent- but - totally overdone rib tapes. I’d be keen to see how this goes together as a comparison...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 12:49:55 AM »
Hi and welcome form another Albertan !

Sorry that I'm not able to aid you in your quest for info , but I will follow along on your project  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline oa5599

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 03:53:43 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. And always nice to hear from you Lance. Won't just me spying on your progress in between meetings anymore :)

After finding very little info about the dual seat aircraft I've decided to make some assumptions and just go with it. Appears the fuel tank would have been reduced drastically to make room and the forward rudder pedals would be underneath what remained. Since I highly doubt I'll find any cockpit pics I think I'll just copy most of the IP for the front. I was rather excited with the IP picture in my reference book for a short time until I realized its labelled wrong and not and SE5. Check it out here: https://www.alamy.com/controls-and-instrument-panel-of-a-plane-ww1-image66163035.html and let me know what you think.

I started by filling the holes in the cowl and sanding it smooth. Drew the opening with sharpie and kept adjusting it until I was happy with it matching the photo.

Slow speed dremel and couple files later and I have an opening I'm pretty happy with. I cut the windscreen mount out of one of the optional cowls and should transplant nicely.

Any suggestions on how to replicate the cockpit coaming? Thinking I might have to do both so they match somewhat

-Sean

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 02:17:47 AM »
Looking good Sean. I checked your cockpit photo, it's actually a Sopwith Camel IP with the Vickers Guns removed. From the one (poor) photo I have that shows a bit of the rear cockpit I'd say it had only very basic instruments installed. I'm PM'ing you a photo of the single seat SE5a Cockpit which should be helpful if not too late. This is going to be a unique subject and neat model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 02:26:12 AM »
Nicely done second pit opening! I like the subject a lot!
RAIII

Offline oa5599

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 02:42:49 AM »
Thanks Lance! Ignore my message back I saw if before your post here. The camel pic made me laugh when I noticed it in the book.

-Sean

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 05:15:15 PM »
Nice subject. The SE5a is a great looking plane. I can't help you with any info but I'll certainly follow this build.

Offline oa5599

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »
I'm using the Wingnuts instruction sheet and pics of the Vintage Aviators real aircraft as my primary reference. May not be correct for this variant but should help spice it up a bit. Continuing on with the cockpit I extended the floor and copied the kit seat using sheet styrene. A few pieces of strip plastic on the sides to bring the structure forward.

The kit IP was cast in resin in a temporary mold made from blue stuff.   

Applied base coat of light tan followed by some oils for the wood grain. Added some small steel wire on the fuselage sides and for the rudder rigging. Might be a little oversized but hopefully wont be too noticeable once its all closed up. Some detail painting, Krystal Klear on the instruments, Seat belts made from tape and random photoetch for buckles add a bit more life. Ready to close it up and hide it all away.

So far the kit has been quite enjoyable. Like every Roden kit I've built, parts need a bit of clean up. Once thats done everything goes together well. Detail is good. Maybe not as crisp as Eduard,  but looks good to my eye especially for 48th scale.

Cheers,
-Sean

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
Awesome woek on casting the seat and IP! Very impressive work!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 11:55:12 PM »
I like it !

But what is this blue stuff ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .