Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/32 A-6A Intruder  (Read 3927 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Trumpeter 1/32 A-6A Intruder
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:50:41 PM »
Not sure how much interest there is in one of these, using the magic of propellerless flight and only a single set of wings that can be folded up! :)

But here's what I'm up to:
3 bomb racks holding 6 bombs each... and each bomb needed lots of filler and improvements to get them somewhat better... (a far cry from the four Cooper bombs under a Camel for sure!)

Kit cockpit with improvements:

Seats were the wrong type, most of this is from Evergreen card, copper wire, etc, only the basic seat frame (virtually invisble except for the headrest) is scratch build.

and lots of other details that needed changing, such as lumps, bumps, wing navigation lights, wrong details on the fuselage, etc etc.
It will eventually be done a VA-65 aircraft flying off USS Constellation in the Vietnam war. (1966).

Jeroen

Offline petrov27

Re: Trumpeter 1/32 A-6A Intruder
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 11:02:07 PM »
One interested person here at least - I am cursed with an interest in many eras of aviation and the A-6 has always been a favorite. Also assisted with some decal artwork for an aftermarket set for this kit a few years back.

What you have done so far looks great - the early seats especially. This is a really nice kit only with some version mix ups - the lumps and bumps you mention - but not very difficult to resolve.

-Patrick

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:07:01 AM »
Hey Jeroen ,

I will be following along as you make progress on this ...how do they put it ! ...Oh yeah !!! Sucker . I have only only built one jet . Hasegawa's 1/72 F-18 .

Super job on detailing the bomb rails , bombs , cockpit and those seats are little gems ! Really some great modelling here  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Edo

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 04:24:37 PM »
wow this will be huge when fineshed!
very interesting build!
ciao
edo

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 11:58:49 PM »
Your work to date looks excellent. This is a Huge Model and should be Very Impressive when completed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 06:16:27 PM »
Thanks for the interest! :)
There isn't much to show, other than slowly closing up the fuselage and cursing at the metal gear parts, where no paint seemed to stick properly.
I've just brushed on some Tamiya metal primer to see if that helps adhesion. :)
a bit creative with nose weight:

and the resin wheels, the added detail is a bonus, but it was primarily the strange proportions of the kit wheels:

I've always been a fan of the A-6, but, other than some nice wheels and decals (Zotz, I think that may have been the sheet you were involved with, Petrov27? and AOA, excellent as well) there isn't a lot out there regarding details, updates and stuff like that.
Fortunately I enjoy doing stuff like that, and the base kit is pretty solid (other than the strange issues mentioned) so hopefully it'll come out OK.

It is pretty huge indeed, and I've noticed everything seems to take more time -I'm enjoying it very much, but won't be starting a collection of these 1/32 large jet aircraft! (This A-6 would look neat near to an Fe2b night bomber -not all that many years between them!)

Hopefully I'll be able to check all the other stuff I missed out here! (kind of busy times at the moment...)

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 05:56:16 PM »
Not a lot of time, and lots of "other" projects including looking around for a new job (there are plenty, but looking for something that really suits me) so not much modelling.
I did manage to use my new Dremel Workstation to drill new holes for the nose gear door lights some time ago, these are spaced differently for the early model I'm building.
Also closed up the complex fuselage (sanding and filling required, as it's not really meant to be closed but rather opened up)...

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 01:12:37 AM »
I feel you on that , I'm also trying to find new employment ...it sucks !

Nice to see some progress on this one even if it is small steps , looking good Jeroen   :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 05:25:54 AM »
Thanks, Alexis!

The (my...) problem isn't really find a job (I work in IT-healthcare experience) but more of the crossroads I'm standing at now. Somehow it feels like the direction I choose now, is one I'll have to keep following for next 20 years or so ;) Keep building stuff, do more designing, maybe project leader....? So much choice!

It does keep the mind occupied, and intellectually I should get on with the model to clear my mind off... but it's very warm here at the moment, so the garden projects are first to keep my wife (and, ok, myself!  ;D ) happy.
I won't hear until july when my position is redundant, though rumours are there is such a huge backlog it may be well into next year. I'm keeping all options open.

I hope your job search works out for you!

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 09:54:20 PM »
Yes, I'm still touching plastic, though not of the WWI kind I'm still on and off working on my Intruder.
The job search is no longer required as the hospital where I work decided they really, really wanted to keep me for a new type of job, so I'm staying for now.
On the personal front there are serious health issues in the familiy (my mother), and we're currently in isolation because my wife and youngest have tested positive on Covid.
Our oldest and myself are both, surprisingly, negative, but still have stay mostly at home.

With that out of the way, the Intruder makes a nice distraction:

Doesn't look like much, but lots of fettling and scribing involved. Some last areas on the top and in the wheel bays, and then some masking and hopefully some primer, finally. I used CA glue as a filler that is invisble on the photo :P
It's a big and clumsy chunk of plastic for sure!

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 06:29:22 PM »
sanding, scribing, priming and repeat, and, repeat... not much to show, but I'm still working on this. Many hours were spent tidying up seams and re-scribing details.
These pictures are somewhat older, in the meantime I've finished the last blemishes and started working on the landing gear as a diversion for all the sanding and scribing.
It's not that it's a bad or poor fitting kit, but due to all the separate engine panels and nose there simply are a lot, lot of seams to attend to.

Hopefully some primer-ready-for-paint shots in the near future!

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 06:32:22 PM »
Been very busy with training for work and a 2 week battle with flu.... (no covid, though)

Here's the lower fuselage as of now. I re-instated the V-shaped strips after a tip on LargeScalePlanes. (this should actually be an L-shaped oil deflector, better modellers than I am will be able to make an L-shaped, bent, and curved part :P

Very fiddly job, making brake lines and hoses with lead wire:

Jeroen

Offline WD

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 08:42:32 AM »
Very nice so far sir.

WD

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 11:00:58 AM »
   Beautiful detail work Jeroen, your efforts are making a "plain" Kit into a real jewel. The work you did on those seats is great modelling to say the very least! Are those bombs Mark 82 "Snake Eyes"  you've detailed? It's going to be a spectacular Model when done, don't let up on your efforts!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 11:53:52 PM »
Thanks! :)
Yes, they are Mk82 Snake-eyes, they're much better than box-stock, but still not all that great (especially the middle part which houses the hinges should be nearly as tall as the fins).
Still, looks a lot better IMHO. :)

With the world (Ukraine) being what it is I'm finding it kind of hard to get motivated to do some modelling, and the weather is quite nice as well over here -not much new to report I'm afraid!

Jeroen