Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/32 A-6A Intruder  (Read 3912 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Trumpeter 1/32 A-6A Intruder
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2022, 10:54:19 PM »
Still somewhat here -been rather busy and somehow spent some free time building models instead of internetting...
Worked on the wing-folding mechanism which is a rather weak affair on the Trumpeter model, not in the least due to the fact that the rods going into the big wing holes are 0,3mm thinner making them really floppy... I inserted alu tube and added the remaining Eduard PE -now they will stay in place even without the wingtip to fuselage support rod :)

Also shortened the speed brake acutator so they peek just a bit open as often seen on early A-6s from the days these were still operable:

Also fiddled with Photo Etch, finally succumbed to getting one of those mini-bend and fold tools. This stuff goes into the tail hook well and can't really be seen, so great stuff to practice on.

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2022, 10:57:10 PM »
More on-topic stuf that I hope to open a build log for later, as well as comment more on all the great stuff I've been missing out on! (Special Hobby Nieuport XVI / 16)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2022, 12:06:46 AM »
I don't have a lot of interest in the subject matter here, but the modeling and detailing work you are doing is awesome.  Really adding a lot to the kit.  This will be quite a large model when finished.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2022, 02:38:16 AM »
I just caught up with your build. The added, corrected, and improved upon detail will make this one a winner for sure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2022, 07:51:35 AM »
Exquisite work Jeroen! All your extra effort is really paying off.
Zac in NZ

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2022, 11:05:22 PM »
Thanks for having a look!
The basic kit is pretty decent, but a bit of a mix-up between verisions. The Eduard PE was an unplanned addition, as I got the folding tool, but had already done all the kit's PE parts! :) Slowly but surely going towards the painting stage now :)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 08:28:22 AM »
Lovely detailing with those PE bits.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2023, 09:23:37 PM »
Thanks, sorry I missed your comment! Although fiddly I get to enjoy PE a bit more so I've orded a few useful sets for other projects, too :)

----------------------
Things are kind of slow at the moment, modelling-wise, but here's a little summary of some progress:
grab handles and compass(?) wire from Plus model lead wire:

what felt like the result of 150 attempts at a nice curled wire for the light:

then, finally, some paint, using the black-basing technique:

finished with the white for now -given that there is a lot of contrast in this scheme with the black nose and all I've left it a bit too "mottled" -I can always go back after the other colours are done and blend it a bit more as needed. It's a big model and this took me a lot of time!

Currently working on the upper surfaces paint, so hopefully some recent news to come!

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2023, 12:48:17 AM »
The canopy detail is amazing! Love the paint work also!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2023, 05:56:38 AM »
Thanks! The rest has been done now as well, unfortunatly I had some very enamel-unlike paint lift that'll need some fixing... I always use enamels as a base coat but never had this issue.

This thing is enormously hard to photograph due to it's enormity... :)

more colours, and paint lift :(

I decided to keep painting colours and fix all the paint issues last, so did the big black-ish nose today. The sunny hour we had today exaggerates the effect a bit, but after glosscoats and weathering it should look OK -and you can always go over it again.

Next up should be a little correction on the black, then on to the red speed brake bays and yellow-ish wing fold area's :)

jeroen