Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Roland D.VIa  (Read 8247 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Roland D.VIa
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 11:27:38 PM »
Looks Beautiful Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 05:59:01 AM »
Brilliant work on the Roland, Mike. One of my favourite WnW kits.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 07:42:30 AM »
Hi all,
The fuselage is now closed up with the cockpit front decking panel fitted.
I'm replacing the kit supplied machine guns with resin equivalent weapons from 'GasPatch'.
These needed to be modified slightly so that would fit down and into the weapon slots in the front decking panel.
This required the removal of the front mounting and synchronizing cable from the underside of the breech blocks.
In addition the lower part of the cocking mechanism on the right side of the left weapon was removed.

Now it's onto preparing the fuselage for the application of the 'ProperPlane' wood effect decal set for this aircraft,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 08:27:25 AM »
Looking forward on seeing how you do the prep for the decals ..

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 08:54:29 AM »
Excellent progress Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 05:03:05 PM »
Looking good - I’m laying down the Proper Plane decals myself.... I was a bit dubious but they are good and in your hands should look stunning! Cheers Matt

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
Lovely Mike,

I always wanted to do this kit, but missed the boat. Great scheme too!

Has anyone done a 1/48 kit of this?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
Looking good - I’m laying down the Proper Plane decals myself.... I was a bit dubious but they are good and in your hands should look stunning! Cheers Matt

Hi Matt,
How did you find the application of these decals as they're new to me?
They're supposed to be translucent so have you applied any pre-shading on the base coat under the decals?

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 08:59:56 AM »
Hi - yes, they’re fairly translucent. I went with a white gloss and then applied flory black wash - the aim was to highlight the nails and it also left a patchy slightly mottled look. It worked quite well - I might think about another wash but will wait to see how it looks after the ‘planking’ effect is added. The main lesson I’ve learnt (too late!) is to mask off those areas you don’t want the decals to attach to - eg there seems to be a bit of overlap and it’s very noticeable when they do crossover as it almost doubles the colour intensity. They are almost impossible to get off once dried ( eg I’m going to have to sand back some of the tail as the main fuselage decals partially covered it (at least before I taped it over for decals 3 and 4). Hopefully this makes sense. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Cheers Matt

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 09:15:29 AM »
Hi - yes, they’re fairly translucent. I went with a white gloss and then applied flory black wash - the aim was to highlight the nails and it also left a patchy slightly mottled look. It worked quite well - I might think about another wash but will wait to see how it looks after the ‘planking’ effect is added. The main lesson I’ve learnt (too late!) is to mask off those areas you don’t want the decals to attach to - eg there seems to be a bit of overlap and it’s very noticeable when they do crossover as it almost doubles the colour intensity. They are almost impossible to get off once dried ( eg I’m going to have to sand back some of the tail as the main fuselage decals partially covered it (at least before I taped it over for decals 3 and 4). Hopefully this makes sense. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Cheers Matt
Thanks Matt - basically what I've found.
I did cut away overlap at the fin and tail skid, but you're right, once they're on, they're on!!
The biggest problem I think is as they're not 'cookie' cut there's no indication for where the fuselage raised detail is, such as access panel and fitting/pulleys.
Consequently when applied you end up with decal standing proud over those area which then need to be cut through to get the air and water out so the decal conforms.
Avoiding decal fold over and creases around curves resulting in dark lines is another problem,

Mike

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 09:25:19 AM »
Yes, it’s a shame they’re not (although I’m doing the b rather than a so they would have to have different sets- I did some basic cookie cuts but also have a few creases as well - I’m wondering whether to try and sand off and redo with decals or just sand and touch up with oils and use the planks to cover. As an aside, how much planking are you thinking of adding? I was thinking of just here and there but with 2 sheets I’m wondering whether it’s meant to be more extensive?  Cheers  Matt

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
Hi Matt,
Yes they're not easily applied.
As for the strip joins, there doesn't appear to be a set pattern.
Looking at the V.Ib in the Krakow museum, it's hard to make out the joints on the colour photographs.
Below are two that seem to show the joins were at two or three locations along each run and in alternate runs,

Mike

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 11:01:02 AM »
Hi Matt,
Yes they're not easily applied.
As for the strip joins, there doesn't appear to be a set pattern.
Looking at the V.Ib in the Krakow museum, it's hard to make out the joints on the colour photographs.
Below are two that seem to show the joins were at two or three locations along each run and in alternate runs,

Mike

It would make sense for these scarf joints to be aligned to internal ribbing or framing which kind of looks to be the case in the second image.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »
Thanks Mike/Hugh - I’ll follow this approach! Looking forward to seeing your results Mike... and let me know how you deal with the creases.  Despite these challenges , I think the decals look very nice when applied. Matt

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 09:47:47 PM »
Very nice!! Interesting that the joins are not butted; but, saw tooth. Did that increase the fuselage's rigidity?