Author Topic: 1/72 Fokker D VI conversion: another blast from the past  (Read 1260 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Fokker D VI conversion: another blast from the past
« on: January 30, 2021, 07:37:07 AM »
Evening All,

I am in a bit of a modelling fug at the moment - I am struggling to make a new subject and hope to start a new post before the end of next year, but in the meantime here is something which harks from an earlier incarnation. I made this in 1976 using an article by A Woollett published in the July 1972 edition of Airfix Magazine. There were no kits of this type available in any scale at the time, so the only options were scratch build or convert. As I had not even dreamt that one day I would scratch build something, conversion was the only possibility. In fact I converted quite a number of models - many of them WW1 types - before I entered a dark age of non-modelling. This is one of a small number of those models that has survived. Please do not be too critical - it was the best that I could do at the time with the resources that I had. Basically it is a cut down Revell Fokker D VII fuselage and wings, propellor, and the engine and cowling, wheels and flying surface, guns, etc from the Revell Fokker triplane. I cannot remember where the other parts came from but they would have been from one of the kits. The crosses were from a transfer sheet - not sure which, the rest of the markings were hand painted. The colours were Humbrol camouflage colours. Now of course we are in a truly golden age of kits, aftermarket and publications for WW1 types and there are several kits of the Fokker D VI......but now I only scratch build!!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/72 Fokker D VI conversion: another blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
Really nice job on the conversion Stephen , for it's age it holding up very well  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Vickers

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 02:30:56 PM »
That's really cool, Stephen. When I was a kid I built whatever showed up in the box or cello bag. In fact, I may not have been aware that there was such a thing as a Fokker D.VI  ??? Great that you still have it!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 06:36:16 PM »
Splendid reminder of more innocent times, Stephen. Nicely created addition to the limited choice then available. I see you too used the old Blandford Munson book as a bible for colour schemes! Nice one.
Sandy

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:42:07 PM »
Ah... Stephen
you've lead me to the fantastic '70s when I made some very dark photocopies (we did not have the internet and not even the photo-copiers back then) of two pages in one issue of Airfix Magazine borrowed from a friend for half an hour.
It was an how-to article on how to convert a Dr.1 and a Revell D.VII into a D.VI...

I still have those two pages somewhere and also the remains of the conversion, started but not finished...

Great!
er me

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 11:49:40 PM »
Really nicely done considering the time frame. It was a certainly a different atmosphere for WW1 modelers and models then. Yours reminds Me of one I did using an Aurora DVII and two DR1's. Same scheme of course  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 12:24:10 AM »
I, too, keep some older models around just to remind me where I started from.
I see you painted the prop laminations.  I wouldn't have done that back in the 70's.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 12:26:54 AM »
Wonderful job!  Have you ever compared it to the Roden D.VI kit?  I plan to build one of these someday.

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 04:30:05 AM »
Wow Stephen, you made this nearly half of a century ago? :o
Not bad, but in comparison to your latest models it shows, that you learned a lot in your life time! ;)

Thanks for showing, also because of this conversion discussion.
I also want to add a Fokker D.VI to my collection one day and have the old Eduard kit from 1995 in my stash. I asked myself If I could improve that model by replacing parts by using the much more modern Dr.I boxes, since I have two dual combos of that in my stash. I have not yet checked the drawings, but I will keep it in mind.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Bolman

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 03:07:09 AM »
Hey Stephen!

Great job on the conversion! Glad I was able to finally see it since you mentioned it in my post of my kit-bashed D.VI - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6802.0

Glad to see it still holding up!

John