Author Topic: Feedback requested - possible new metal undercarriage struts for 1/32 aircraft  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Kit

Sorry, bit of a long post and not yet a new product.

Short version;

Research Q, would people be interested in decent solid metal undercarriage and struts for 1/32 aircraft?

If so do you have any thoughts or suggestions about metal replacement struts / undercarriage you'd like to see in the future from Aerocraft?

Long version;

1/32 undercarriage can be fragile - especially in the hands of clumsy dolts like me.

As most of you know Aerocraft have made replacement undercarriage for the Mengnut F.1/Dr.1, (to my mind a step above the white metal previously available for WNW - while I've made white metal models, personally I'm not keen to use white metal for delicate struts).

I asked about the possibility of other offerings in the future, Alistair from Aerocraft is potentially keen to make more, Q is who would be interested in what, and would it be practical. 

Emails under;

Alistair McLean <[email protected]>
Thu, 28 Jan, 23:41 (14 hours ago)
Hi Kit

[...], I see your comment about other sets, what kits would you like sets for? If we agree would you be prepared to send the kit parts to me to get them developed. It would also be handy if you could email me a copy of the instruction page as well where the strut is installed, just so I can get the idea of what parts I would need or want. I am pretty knowledgable on most aircraft types but I do not have many of the wingnut kits.
No promises but let us see where this goes. I will also supply one set free of charge for every set that we do, and you may NOT receive the original plastic parts back.
Do let me know your thoughts, best reply to this email I am sending from.

Regards Alistair
09:18 (4 hours ago)
Hi Alistair, thanks for your answer.

I do have multiples of most of the WNW kits, so could help with this, (am prepared to lose a part if I have a back up to scratch a replacement off if it doesn't work out, have done this for REXx exhausts).

Would you mind if I circulated your email on a couple of forums with a lot of WNW builders and some of the ex-WNW employees for opinions about which would be popular and practical?

e.g. I am sure for example, the Albatros DV / DVa would do well, on the other hand the popular DVII is probably sturdy enough.

The cabane struts on the Sopwith Camel are a frequent point of failure but as they are molded integral to the fuselage (and vary between the Ships Camel and others) I am not sure they will be practical.

Others might be useful (Albatros B.II, RE 8), but did not sell in such large numbers so may not be worth your while.

Kit

ALISTAIR MCLEAN
09:40 (4 hours ago)
Hi Kit
Thank you for the reply and the input. I did have a few of the Albatros and Fokker aircraft, I am now sorry that I sold them....if only I had waited a another 6 months or so before the collapse. I do have a few of the various Sopwith types, and one or two others. Also what about the Nieuports from Copper State, I have one of those. I have just done some sets for the EV by Micromir, they are OK and I have sold quite a few but are not the best, kit parts are not great, but I re-engineered them a little, but they will help with the tricky fitment and strength for that aircraft.
I would be more than happy for you to ask around, sometimes I think that a 3rd party gets much better results than the manufacturer.
Obviously we will just stage them through, even if you sent me a bunch to reduce postage costs, I would then maybe do 2 or 3 sets a month.
It is important to know if there are any shortcomings in the kit part dimensions, because if so then it gets a lot more complicated, but I have not heard of any of the WNW KITS being too long or short on the struts.
Re-engineering a fit for the Camels may not be a huge hurdle so if it is a PROBLEM, it is one to look at, because people buy parts that fix a problem, but we can discuss that and I will visit the LOFT to reacquaint myself.
I do not work on huge number sales, I am very happy generally if I get 50 sales of any item, sometimes that happens quickly and is vastly surpassed, but I do not need 100’s, so let see what comes out of the consultation and wish list.
All round I will do my best to make it worth your while.
Regards Alistair (Ali)

Bughunter

The undercarriage of our beloved WWI aircraft are very simple (in comparison to a modern jet for example) so they can easily replaced (or at least the fragile parts of it) by brass and nickel silver micro tubing and wires. Albion Alloys has sold a tool to squeeze the tubes but a little vice with flat jaws will also help.

Have that done recently in 1/48 on some models, in 1/32 it should be much easier.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ermeio

What in this moment is lacking is some material like the good old Strutz or contrail struts.
It is true that Albion Alloys makes a took to squeeze the tubing, but it is not easily available and anyway, it offers just one profile.
The same is true for the 3D printed squeezing tool designed by Bo.

best
er me

Offline RAGIII

Unlike Frank and some others I don't do well making MY own struts. In My Opinion it is the 1/32nd scale Roden, and probably Special Hobby kits that really need help with the struts. That being said they really need to be modified with longer locating pins on both ends in order to make mounting the wings easier, more secure. I would be interested in struts for the Roden Albatros DIII, Pfalz DIII, SSW DIII, and( SE5a.just the interplane and cabanes) Interplanes, cabanes, and landing gear for all of the others! Thanks for sharing!

RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:43:45 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline WD

It is true that Albion Alloys makes a took to squeeze the tubing, but it is not easily available and anyway, it offers just one profile.

AFAIK, this tool is not available any more, at all. 

WD

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Yes, it was on 'Albion Alloy's' web site for modellers, but that site went down some time ago.
They had other tools available as well and they're no longer available either.
It's a shame as although it can't create a perfect aerofoil, it can be used for any size of tube and support rod, so any size of strut can be made.
At the end of the day, even at 1:32nd scale, you'd need to look close to see the difference between these and the kit struts,
The added strength the struts give the model is worth it I think,

Mike.   

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger

WD

I don't think it offers any particular profile, it just squashes the tube. It's the wire inside that governs the amount of squash

I do the same job with a good quality, smooth jawed vice

Alistair - I think you'll find SAC make whitemetal copies of most of the 1/32 kit struts and undercarriages, e.g.: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/scale-aircraft-conversions-32037-albatros-diii--131006

They appear to be straight copies of the kit part, and in my opinion aren't worth bothering with as they will be soft

Rick's (RAGIII) point is a good one about the Roden parts needing locating pins

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Agreed regards white metal copies - I have some as part of a stash I bought.
Very weak metal - and not worth buying,

Mike

Offline Pup7309

Hi I think they would also be useful for some bigger a/c - Junkers J1 , AEG etc Hanks
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
I would be interested in struts for the Roden Albatros DIII, Pfalz DIII, SSW DIII, and( SE5a.just the interplane and cabanes) Interplanes, cabanes, and landing gear for all of the others! Thanks for sharing!

RAGIII

I would second this, very much. Weak as the landing gears may be, I found that when rigged they are plenty strong and rigged, but replacement struts would be very welcome indeed.

Hidde

Offline janh

The Albatros bII is notoriously fragile. how how 'bout a replacement in brass??

Offline rhallinger

Speaking of brass tube replacement struts, can anyone recommend the best sizes of tubing to use in the Strutter?  I know it may depend on what is being replaced, but I am asking in general for 1/32 scale.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bob

Bughunter

The Albion tool is not really needed, I use a vice from Proxxon:

Any other vice will do it also, but it NEED flat vice jaw!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline WD

Thanks Bughunter!

WD