Author Topic: Meng DR.I Steinhauser (Later) Roden DR.I Udet LO  (Read 5094 times)

Offline mgunns

Meng DR.I Steinhauser (Later) Roden DR.I Udet LO
« on: January 11, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
Okay:  It looks like Rick Geisler and I have the same thought patterns when it comes to the latest Fokker DR.I builds.  For the Meng kit I chose Steinhausers 564/17, which I believe is a later DR.I than the one that Rick did. 

I have seen artwork for three variations of this aircraft, one, the Hobby craft kit, has a Red patch behind the cockpit with a yellow "X" and a streaked tail section with the Iron Cross Markings.  Then there is the one with a the red patch, yellow "X" and red and yellow striped tail with the Iron Cross Markings, and the lastly the one that I did with a yellow patch, red "X" and the Balkan Cross markings. 

The Meng kit goes together fairly well.  There is the warped wing issue that I used a hair drier to correct, the broken piece of the Turtle deck, easy fix, and the directions that are unclear in a few areas, but overall a nice kit.

I used the Aviattic Streaking decals that Richard designed for the Meng kit.  They went on quite well with little trimming around the control cable fair leads and that is about it.  I used a mix of Testors MM Leather and Classic for the under coat for a nice glossy finish.  The Yellow was Testors MM Insiginia Yellow and the red is Tamiya X-2 with a little Brown thrown in to tone down the red.

I used the kit photo etch for the Machine gun jackets and for the seat belts I used Kitsworld Decals.  An interesting concept and not the easiest to work with and they turned green for some reason.   Rigging of the undercarriage is monofilament and Gaspatch Turnbuckles for strength, the cross bracing for the upper wing and all control lines are Modelkasten.

Getting the yellow patch and the red stipes on the tail took quite some time as I wanted to get it as close to the drawings as possible so calipers and ruller were used, took quite a bit time masking and measuring the tail, but worth the effort.  I reverse masked it, painting the red, masking, a shot of Tamiya White Primer, and then painted the yellow.  The national markings and eyeballs are masks, first time I used them, not sure I would use them again, but if the markings were something I was chasing I would.  The markings on the rudder and the fuselage went on nice but I couldn't get a good seal of the markings on the upper wing due to the rib taping detail, so had some "holidays" to touch up.

Our club is doing a triplane group build and I have chosen the Udet Triplane, using the Roden Kit and the Meng using Steinhausers.

I am looking forward to more markings being released for this kit as it is a pretty decent kit.  I suspect it was the Wingnut Wings prototype that Meng put into production as there are a few areas I think Wingnut Wings would have changed, but that being aside, it still a good kit and builds into a nicely detailed model.

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Meng DR.I Steinhauser (Later) Roden DR.I Udet LO
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 11:22:00 AM »
Wow Mark , Beautiful job on your Fokker , both look super aide by side  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline mgunns

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 11:27:42 AM »
Thanks Alexis:  Duly appreciate the comment and you checking in.
Mark

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 04:25:40 PM »
Really nice models, Steinhsuser's one is my favourite variant with both fuselage and tail featuring yellow base and red marks. Finishing is superb.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 04:54:49 PM »
Great work! Steinhäusers Markings are my all-time favorites for Fokker triplanes.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online macsporran

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 05:48:04 PM »
Very pleased to Meet the Fokkers. Nice models.
Sandy

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:27:18 AM »
Nice, clean builds, Mark.  You and Rick must be in a build-off.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 01:14:20 AM »
Outstanding build/s Mark! The Aviattic streaking looks great. Just a note on the Steinhauser Markings. You are correct. Yours represents a later different Dr1 than mine. The red band and yellow X is an early DR1 with Early Ailerons. There is No known photo of the tail so it may have had stripes or May Not have had stripes, thus two choices. Your work on both is exceptional. I think you have inspired Me to get Mine done  8) Gorgeous in all respects!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:26:53 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 02:16:31 AM »
Mark - your triplane looks wonderful. All aspects of your model are a pleasure to look at. Awesome work, my friend.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
Really nice models, Steinhsuser's one is my favourite variant with both fuselage and tail featuring yellow base and red marks. Finishing is superb.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe for looking and leaving your kind comments, much appreciated.  Steinhausers has been one of my favorites for a long time, I am glad to finally have it in the collection.
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 10:10:00 AM »
Great work! Steinhäusers Markings are my all-time favorites for Fokker triplanes.
Andreas

Thank you Andreas for looking in and leaving your comments, much appreciated.
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 10:13:47 AM »
Very pleased to Meet the Fokkers. Nice models.
Sandy

Thank you Sandy, and I am sure the Fokkers appreciate the sentiment and the pleasure is all theirs.  ;)
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »
Nice, clean builds, Mark.  You and Rick must be in a build-off.

Thank you Kensar for looking in.  The builds are totally coincidental.  The same aircraft different periods and units for Udets, and Steinhausers is a different marking for his later aircraft.
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »
Outstanding build/s Mark! The Aviattic streaking looks great. Just a note on the Steinhauser Markings. You are correct. Yours represents a later different Dr1 than mine. The red band and yellow X is an early DR1 with Early Ailerons. There is No known photo of the tail so it may have had stripes or May Not have had stripes, thus two choices. Your work on both is exceptional. I think you have inspired Me to get Mine done  8) Gorgeous in all respects!
RAGIII

Thank you Rick:  That's what I thought, that the yellow band with red X was a later aircraft.  I like the way yours is turning out so get going and get it finished for the final "Pose Down".
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »
Mark - your triplane looks wonderful. All aspects of your model are a pleasure to look at. Awesome work, my friend.
Cheers,
Gary

Thank you Gary for looking in and your comments, duly appreciated.  It is an attractive scheme and should stand out amongst some of the others that our club is doing.  Got a few more up my sleeve so stay tuned for more modeling excitement.
Mark