Author Topic: Hasegawa P-38J  (Read 11671 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Hasegawa P-38J
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »
While work continues on the Pfalz the bench seems a little empty leaving room for another new start . Been awhile since I tackle a WW 2 subject and this one has been sitting peacefully in the stash coming onto 20 years now . Think it's time to get it built .

My understanding of this kit is it has a lot of fit issues and is a putty monster . Not promising notes that's for sure . A few items will be added to the build . Ultracast wheel set , Master for the gun barrels and Eduards PE set . Not sure one which livery she will wear , kit decals are trashed nothing but cracks !  :(

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

Re: Hasegawa P-38J
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:11:07 PM »
Have fun with that Alexis!  I recently completed the Academy P-38J in 1/48, as "Scat II" of Robin Olds fame.  It was fun and very rewarding, as I had not done a WWII aircraft in many years.  I tried out the newer Vallejo acrylic Metal colors for airbrushing, and was very pleased with the results.  What are you planning with your J? 

Best regards,

Bob 

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
Put that one in the bin Alexis and buy the shiny new Tamiya one!  :D Life’s too short!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 08:13:38 PM »
Put that one in the bin Alexis and buy the shiny new Tamiya one!  :D Life’s too short!

Guy

Absolutely agree, just bought one of these gems: worth every cent!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:45:38 PM »
Hello Bob ,

I will be shooting for a olive darb on neutral grey , but that could very well change . I still need to go through my decal stash and see what I still have left . I know I have the markings to do Yippe ! so it just might ending up being that redish orange colour . I love the Vallejo Metal coats , Been using them for a few years now . One thing though is make sure your base coating is FULLY dried or cracks will appear in the very near future . I have a few 72 scale mustangs which need repainting  ::) because of not waiting .

Guy , Giuseppe ...well I won't be binning it and I will put myself through the punishment  ;) I do have Tamiya's New P38G/H in the stash  ;)

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 01:53:37 AM »
Ahh this kit does bring back memories though - I still recall getting the first boxing maybe mid 90s and being so impressed with the moulding on the parts being so fine. I do also recall challenges with fit - maybe the booms-to wing joins in particular?

Anyhow still an interesting kit and will be following your build!
-Patrick

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 11:39:27 AM »
Thanks Pete ! Glad to have you follow long on this adventure .

With reading reviews and other build logs on line I really wanted to see how bad this actually was . Out came the tape and side cutters and I tested fitted all the main parts . There will be filling seems but over all it really isn't bad as folks claim it to be .

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 11:39:48 AM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 09:10:27 PM »
Wow, one of a few favourite WW2 birds for me... Good luck with this build, Alexis!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »
Thanks Prze,

Wasn't expecting there to be this much PE parts . I was under the impression of it only being for the cockpit . Well it covers the wheel wells and bit's of the weapons . Hmmm....going to be a bit longer placing it all  :)

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 06:16:20 PM »
Lots of PEs, remembers me I have an old, very old FW190 from Casadio in my stash: 1/48 fully white metal+PE kit, the box weighs some two kilograms!
Another wannabuildsomeday gathering dust, but who knows...  ;D
Good luck with yours.
Thumbs up.
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 11:17:58 PM »
Wow Alexis, you are very productive at the moment!
You are building faster than I can write :o
Have fun!

Cheers,
Frank

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 12:09:18 AM »
I don't know, if those are matching your kit, but it would be the chance to try out this new beautiful 3D-decals:
https://quinta-studio.com/en/product/174/
https://quinta-studio.com/en/product/173/

One example:

Available on ebay and many stores around the world. Must try those one day!
The put Eduard (with their PE) under pressure, so Eduard start a new series "Space" of that technology.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »
Danke guys  :)

Sounds like it will be a bit of a challenge building that one and re-enforced shelf  ;)

Frank . only two builds current reside on the bench and I don't get much time in . About 2 hours a day , my time is busy with other activities to keep active on with my weight loss program . Also , thank -you kindly for sharing the link . I have seen these before and they are very impressive .

Cockpit parts are all freed and ready for clean up and start with painting . Parts that are per-coloured interior green will get repainted so they match the rest of the surrounding areas .

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »
Worked on getting a start placing the PE parts and lost one to the carpet monster . It's only a square box which is easily replaced with some square stock .

Alexis

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch